IGNORED

Unknown device

davidcalgary29

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Any thoughts? Perhaps a monitor switching device of some sort? I'm almost tempted to bid on it, but would have to rewire the thing.

The switch is attached to the power lead(EU plug), the LED is attached across the capacitor closest to the SIO port, and only 2 wires from the DB25F connect to the PCB.

My guess would be some type of early Rverter type interface, using only RxD/TxD, with diodes/transistors instead of an IC. This is based on only 2 wires to the DB25F, and that this connector is commonly used for RS232 DCE devices which would connect to a DB25 DTE port/cable on another computer

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

only 2 wires connected makes it look incomplete... very odd sio conversion box... what sio pins are being used..? I can see a blur with possibly 3 pins in use.

I think I see a black wire under the other two running to the DB25 which makes it make sense.

There were a lot of file transfer utilities between the ST and 8 bit, I even wrote one myself using the ST joystick. There was the original ST Xformer that used the ST printer port to read a 1050 and ST 800xlDJ which was the ST equivalent of SIO2PC. 

I also see a 7805 there so with the diodes and caps, implies they needed or thought they needed a 5V supply. => The ~200 mamp available on the SIO bus is more then enough for an interface ergo they were either being cautious or they actually needed 5V! Is that is the case, then this interface is likely to be an ST equivalent of 1050toPC for reading an 8 bit drive. I can't remember the female/male DB25 of the printer vs. serial port of the ST, but that should narrow it down a bit more.

There's lots of ways to get 5V out of a printer port or serial port 'cheaper' but the 5V supply really suggests to me 1050toST because the drives don't work without it being available. Could be the designer just had the parts laying around and decided to throw them in. :)