Jump to content
Savetz

Atari 800 Pac Man source code

Recommended Posts

Hello from Fujiama!

 

Here's something amazing that's turned up: the original, commented source code for the Atari 8-bit version of Pac Man.

 

There are two versions there: the original version from 1982 that compiled in Atari Macro Assembler, and a version adapted for MADS by JAC!

 

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=PAC-MAN

 

Have fun,

-Kevin

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 6.17.41 PM.png

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat!  I'm still confused as to how many different official versions of Pac-Man are out there.  From my understanding:

 

1. Atari 8-bit cartridge version - No intermissions

2. Atari 5200 cartridge version - With intermissions

3. Atari 8-bit disk version (Datasoft) - With intermissions, intro screens, and bug fixes

 

Then there are a few prototypes, hacks, and versions of unknown origins floating around.  Is this right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Savetz said:

Hello from Fujiama!

 

Here's something amazing that's turned up: the original, commented source code for the Atari 8-bit version of Pac Man.

 

There are two versions there: the original version from 1982 that compiled in Atari Macro Assembler, and a version adapted for MADS by JAC!

 

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=PAC-MAN

 

Have fun,

-Kevin

Screenshot 2019-08-27 at 6.17.41 PM.png

Rumor has it more Roklan/Atari goodies may be making it out into the world ;)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now maybe we can get that elusive Atari 8-bit port of Pac-Man Plus that no one asked for.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Rumor has it more Roklan/Atari goodies may be making it out into the world ;)

The more the better!  Would be great of source for Gorf was next.  That was one my earliest carts for the 400 - I loved the yellow case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

The more the better!  Would be great of source for Gorf was next.  That was one my earliest carts for the 400 - I loved the yellow case.

Would be good if we had someone who worked for Roklan who can spill the beans, would love a detailed history of working there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Would be good if we had someone who worked for Roklan who can spill the beans, would love a detailed history of working there.

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-265-ronald-borta-roklan-software

 

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-352-joe-hellesen-deluxe-invaders-pac-man-pq-the-party-quiz-game

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new version of the MADS source code is now available (at the same URLs listed above) which adds the ability to compile Datasoft version. This version eliminates all references to Atari (such as copyright messages.) The Atari logo fruit bonus has been replaced with a purple thing. Maybe it's a flower?

 

 

datasoft-fruit.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

Would be good if we had someone who worked for Roklan who can spill the beans, would love a detailed history of working there.

Part of the problem is that it was a 1099 situation where all the programmers were hired as independent contractors and didn't really work "there".  The administrative people had an office but pretty much everyone else worked from home most of the time, so in some regards there really isn't a lot to talk about.

The two interviews linked by Savetz above are a good start, although Joe Hellesen's memory isn't the greatest.  Ron Borta also made a few dubious claims in his interview, but his account of the company's history is probably about the best we can hope for.
 

27 minutes ago, Savetz said:

A new version of the MADS source code is now available (at the same URLs listed above) which adds the ability to compile Datasoft version. This version eliminates all references to Atari (such as copyright messages.) The Atari logo fruit bonus has been replaced with a purple thing. Maybe it's a flower?

It's a Galaxian flagship as in the original coin-op and pretty much every non-Atari version.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Savetz said:

A new version of the MADS source code is now available (at the same URLs listed above) which adds the ability to compile Datasoft version.

To all involved in this. Please make very clear what it's the original source and what is not. Reverse engineered, disassembled, patched, adapted, completed, etc ... are so great, but original source is a completely different thing. For preservation purposes, I think it is extremely important to be very precise and cautious.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ijor: PAC-MAN_Source_Code_Macro_Assembler.zip is the original source code.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Savetz said:

ijor: PAC-MAN_Source_Code_Macro_Assembler.zip is the original source code.

Yes, that was more or less clear. Less clear is if the modifications or additions to assemble multiple Pac Man versions from the MADS source is based on original material, or not (it combines original source with reverse engineered code). Or, if you want, the source covers just one version of Pac Man, and if so which one.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the Roklan developer source for the Atari 1982 disk version of Pac Man.  I might add it says so in the listing...

so that's which one. Am I missing what you are after?

Edited by _The Doctor__

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

This is the Roklan developer source for the Atari 1982 disk version of Pac Man.  I might add it says so in the listing...

so that's which one. Am I missing what you are after?

 

Yes, I can see what the listing posted here claims. But even that claim is a bit confusing. There was no Atari release on disk. The Atari release was, AFAIK, on cart only. The later Datasoft release was on disk. Note that the wording you are using here is not exactly the same as the listing. The listing claims "for Atari Inc". That's not the same as "for the Atari" as you are saying. In one case it seems to indicate the publisher, in the other the platform.

 

Anyway, I'm not trying to play semantics or nitpick. Sorry if it sounded like that. And I'm no after anything in particular. I just was saying that, IMHO, we should be careful and precise with this sort of thing. May be because we were pissed off more than once with some announcements that original sources were found. But it turned out later that it was actually a reverse engineering work. Or even worse, it was original incomplete source mixed with disassembling, so you can't even tell which parts are original and which not.

Edited by ijor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't Atari Inc. Atari at that time (I checked and it was). Cartridge only... No, there was a planned Atari disk release. Lastly, it is not reverse engineered by Roklan. Roklan is where a number of games were done, either in whole or in part, and sometimes when development was behind or hit a wall. I will be dumping wholesale whatever I still have laying around soon enough, as is, and at least one other person that I am aware of will be doing some of the same. There may be some surprises, but probably not.

 

I understand the fear of something being incorrect, but these are the original documents.

 

Atari Inc. is correct. checked and at that time not only is that correct but court filings concerning Philips indicate that's correct as well.

I thought I was having a senior moment, phew... We all want it to be correct and perfect, so nit picking isn't a bad thing. In this instance, it probably isn't an issue though.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doctor, I'm not sure you understand my point. But never mind, I don't want to hijack the thread.

 

Keep up the good work, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps we should reorder the ZIPs with the source to have the unchanged original Roklan version first and then the modified / extended changed-for-MADS one second.

 

The changes come from binary comparing the XEXs and disassembling the really small areas which are different. 

 

HTH 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ijor said:

Doctor, I'm not sure you understand my point.

I do, and it was a valid one.  You weren't asking if "Atari" refers to Atari Inc or Atari Corp.  You were asking if it refers specifically to the original Atari-published version and not just any old version published on the Atari computer platform.  The wording used is a bit confusing, especially since Atari never published it on disk (but apparently planned to).

Yes, this is (supposedly) the source to the original Atari-published version (or what they intended to publish).  But this does leave me wondering why a version that Roklan apparently originally developed for the disk format would be missing the intermissions.  Or are they in this version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 2:38 AM, Savetz said:

Its been a while since I had time for podcasts but I really need to keep an eye on whats being published. Looks like I missed a great one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

They are 

Interesting.  So that explains why in the interview that Savetz did, Ron Borta talked about Joe Hellesen's 8-bit version of Pac-Man as it if were practically arcade perfect.  Obviously he was remembering this version.

I always assumed that Jim Andreasen added the intermissions to the 5200 version but in light of this, that probably wasn't the case.  He may have simply adapted the controls to the analog joystick.  How does this version compare to the 5200 port?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to look thru this.  I spent a bit of time disassembling and commenting the game when I snagged the sound code out to use in Pac-man Arcade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait... So this is a completely DIFFERENT version of Pac-Man than what was released?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wondered why the 5200 and Datasoft versions had the same intermission but slightly different monster logic.  I had thought that the Datasoft version was derived from the 5200 version because the intermissions were identical.  And I assumed the 5200 version was derived from the original cart but with intermissions added to differentiate it.  So 8bit cart -> 5200 with intermissions added -> Datasoft floppy version.  But from my observations, the Datasoft floppy version and 8bit cart version have the same monster logic.  The 5200 version is a little different. So it wouldn't make sense that Datasoft would have been built off the 5200 version but have original monster logic.  It seems more likely that this version was the beginning of all the others.  The intermissions were removed for the cart release.  The monster logic was updated for the 5200 release.  The Datasoft version is mostly identical to it. Does this make sense?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tep392 said:

I have wondered why the 5200 and Datasoft versions had the same intermission but slightly different monster logic.  I had thought that the Datasoft version was derived from the 5200 version because the intermissions were identical.  And I assumed the 5200 version was derived from the original cart but with intermissions added to differentiate it.  So 8bit cart -> 5200 with intermissions added -> Datasoft floppy version.  But from my observations, the Datasoft floppy version and 8bit cart version have the same monster logic.  The 5200 version is a little different. So it wouldn't make sense that Datasoft would have been built off the 5200 version but have original monster logic.  It seems more likely that this version was the beginning of all the others.  The intermissions were removed for the cart release.  The monster logic was updated for the 5200 release.  The Datasoft version is mostly identical to it. Does this make sense?

I think Atari tried to tweak some of the 5200 games to make them better than their 8-bit counterparts.  Maybe to give the impression that the 5200 was a better 'arcade machine' than the home computer line.  Qix, Centipede, and Dig Dug got completely different 5200 versions while others were mildly enhanced (Super Breakout, Pengo, Star Raiders, etc.).  So this would make sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...