IGNORED

MRQ files

neo_rg

• 2 months later...

With regards to the ones already created in the first post I know it says that the ROMs themselves have to match with the .mrq or they will not link up. Since the created ones have their own titles and I'm not seeing a way to edit them once they have been created (unless there is a way) then I just have to change my rom titles to match the .mrq files created in the first post right? 

I'm a little computer illiterate when trying to figure this out so sorry for the stupid question. Is there my chance a video showing how to create them? Otherwise do I just copy the creation text from the link, change the values, but where would I paste them or create them from there? I ask because when I click the program it just pops up then goes away. I opened it with the Command Prompt but then have no idea what to do from there as in how does it create the .mrq when I edit the items in the Command Prompt? A program itself for saving just doesnt open up for me at all. 

Edited by UHATEIT

7 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

With regards to the ones already created in the first post I know it says that the ROMs themselves have to match with the .mrq or they will not link up. Since the created ones have their own titles and I'm not seeing a way to edit them once they have been created (unless there is a way) then I just have to change my rom titles to match the .mrq files created in the first post right? 

yes the file names have to match.

9 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

yes the file names have to match.

I get that the file names have to match, tho I mean since there were 50 created in the first post, I assume they cannot be edited since they are completed and saved as a .mrq, so I mean then I would need to change the name of my roms to match what the title of the .mrq that was created is, does that make sense? 

I'm struggling getting the .mrq creation to work currently, but what I did was change all the ROMs to match the title of the 50 in the first post, tho I was hoping there was a way to change the title of the already created .mrq but if it's already saved I imagine I cannot change the name of that itself. 

• Confused 1

It's not that complicated.  For instance, I had a rom named Alien vs Predator (World).j64, but the MRQ is named Alien vs Predator.mrq so I renamed the game rom to Alien vs Predator.j64.  I could have renamed the mrq file instead, it doesn't matter.  What's in the details of the MRQ file has no bearing on the file name. 

• Like 1

Not sure if @SainT is aware of this, but if you've got two roms with similar names in the same folder, the MRQ data is not read properly.  The obvious example is Iron Soldier, where there's "Iron Soldier.xxx" and "Iron Soldier 2.xxx"  The menu will list Iron Soldier 2 first, but it will have the other game's art and details.  The first game has nothing.  Essentially if you leave Iron Soldier 2 alone, you have to add a couple spaces to "Iron Soldier  " or you can leave Iron Soldier as is, but rename the 2nd game to Iron Soldier_2.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2019 at 2:04 PM, neo_rg said:

To get the ball rolling with the Marquee files here are some I've made for the original 50 games as mentioned

in the Atari Jaguar Wikipedia pages. There are Alternate mrq files for Aircars and Power Drive Rally. One showing the

original Aircars in a white inner and the (alt) in an aftermarket box. Power Drive Rally has both the European and American

box designs, one of them is the (alt) mrq file.

To use the mrq files copy them to the SD card either in the same folder or root directory as the roms. Make sure the rom

files have the same name as the .mrq file or it won't pick them up.

for instance

Aircars.jag

Aircars.mrq

There is also .mrq files for Cybermorph (1mb) and (2mb) versions.

Edit (SainT)
The MRQ tool (with brief usage instructions included) is now available as well.

https://www.retrohq.co.uk/product/jaggd/png2mrq.zip

mrq files.zip 1.12 MB · 646 downloads

Hey neo_rg I noticed in the folder that Total Carnage wasn't one of the mrq files. Is that considered to be a retail release? 

3 hours ago, neo_rg said:

I went by the wiki entries. I may do a complete set at some point in the future as I've noticed some of the interim ones people have done have incorrect or incomplete information.

Yeah there is the post from someone asking for a bunch of homebrew titles then they made a few. You are right many are incomplete. They have a screen shot but no cover or box art on the top just a blank black box unless that's how mine see it and they show up for others. If you make more that would be awesome for a bunch of these demos and gomebrews!

9 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

I threw one together for you.

Total Carnage MRQ.zip 21.95 kB · 7 downloads

You rock! I had thought this was considered an original release but I could be mistaken. But this was one I needed

4 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

I've done a bunch for the missing ones and all the Atari ST conversions.  Just had a few more to do.  My problem is the demo/proto/etc roms I have are a mess, and hit a bit of a wall because many have no known artwork.

Care to share a folder of the st ports? I have a bunch from the thread with roms for them. But a bunch otherwise are the generic one created by Saturn from the first page of this thread and I used that for a ton of my demos and homebrews by just changing the name for them but leaving the same info send picture.

My homebrew folder is where the mess is, some games just don't have good artwork for them so I used the generic one from Saturn. 

Edited by UHATEIT
Spelling

On 3/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, Greg2600 said:

Not sure if @SainT is aware of this, but if you've got two roms with similar names in the same folder, the MRQ data is not read properly.  The obvious example is Iron Soldier, where there's "Iron Soldier.xxx" and "Iron Soldier 2.xxx"  The menu will list Iron Soldier 2 first, but it will have the other game's art and details.  The first game has nothing.  Essentially if you leave Iron Soldier 2 alone, you have to add a couple spaces to "Iron Soldier  " or you can leave Iron Soldier as is, but rename the 2nd game to Iron Soldier_2.

And I thought I was the only one who stumbled over this. ?

Both games show up with the same name in GD (no "2" in IS2). IS2 shows correct artworks but wrong info data and name (from IS1).

The trick with the two spaces in IS1 file name works, but renaming IS2 to "Iron Soldier_2" doesn't! It works if you name it a bit more different than the first game, e.g. "Iron S 2".

With this the names are displayed correctly then in GD, as names are taken from the mrq-files. Even renaming one of the games in "blabl4" should work! ?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone gone through the ST portasand made any sets of mrq files? I've made the generic ones using Saturn's generator but it's not the same. There's a lot of the ST ports and homebrews that are missing some good Mrq files if anyone has made some more and down to share here!

Edited by UHATEIT
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have one for Phase Zero?  Does that count as a commercial release, similar to Total Carnage?  I own both games (purchased from Carl at Songbird) but would love the MRQ file for Phase Z.  Thanks a bundle!

Did anyone make a bunch for the homebrew games yet?  Would love to have those.

On my mac at work now but will check out the tool later on my PC.  Read the "Read me" for the Creator Tool and seems pretty complex.  The images have to be a certain bit, and you need to use the command line, etc. etc.  Not very "dummy friendly" GUI like i was hoping for. 

Edited by Rick Dangerous

4 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Does anyone have one for Phase Zero?  Does that count as a commercial release, similar to Total Carnage?  I own both games (purchased from Carl at Songbird) but would love the MRQ file for Phase Z.  Thanks a bundle!

Did anyone make a bunch for the homebrew games yet?  Would love to have those.

On my mac at work now but will check out the tool later on my PC.  Read the "Read me" for the Creator Tool and seems pretty complex.  The images have to be a certain bit, and you need to use the command line, etc. etc.  Not very "dummy friendly" GUI like i was hoping for. 

I was wondering the same thing. It would be awesome if someone did a bundle of MRQ files for the prototypes, demos and unreleased games as well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I redid most of the official carts and prototypes, as well as the Skunk/GD Atari ST conversions to fit the same box art format that AlejandroGMC_ used.  Tested all on my GameDrive, although you will have to rename your roms to match the MRQ file names I used, or vice versa.  Furthermore, I think all of these roms have been distributed freely on AA or other prominent sources (my archive contains no roms!). 

I didn't get to many of the betas because there's just no game art out there on them, as they were Jag only projects that never saw the light of day.  Sorry took me so long to post.  I do have templates I created for these if anyone was interested.

Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Cover.jpg Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Cover.jpg

G2600_MRQ_v1.0.zip

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

So I redid most of the official carts and prototypes, as well as the Skunk/GD Atari ST conversions to fit the same box art format that AlejandroGMC_ used.  Tested all on my GameDrive, although you will have to rename your roms to match the MRQ file names I used, or vice versa.  Furthermore, I think all of these roms have been distributed freely on AA or other prominent sources (my archive contains no roms!). 

I didn't get to many of the betas because there's just no game art out there on them, as they were Jag only projects that never saw the light of day.  Sorry took me so long to post.  I do have templates I created for these if anyone was interested.

Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Cover.jpg Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Cover.jpg

G2600_MRQ_v1.0.zip 1.9 MB · 7 downloads

Thank you for doing this man! When I'm home from vacation l be downloading  this pack and see what you made. 

I really don't like the blue Jaguar ST logo.

Was there anything wrong with the .mrq I released with it? Hope you got the eeprom settings right in yours.

Anyone reporting a bug with saving in any of my releases is going to get asked "Are you using my .mrq file?" ... just saying ;)

If these were just thumbnails I wouldn't say anything, but they aren't.  They contain config information about the file. People rolling their own can cause all sorts of problems down the line with a bad file as they get shared and shared again - and it's never the guy who made the config file having to deal with these issues.....