IGNORED

Feature Requests

SainT

11 hours ago, kublai said:

Is there a combo button to soft reset the Jag from the Game Menu or from in game? If not is it possible to implement?

I second this request if possible.  My ProController has a long cord so I can sit on my sofa and play - having to hit the power button all the time is a bit of a PIA.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, SainT said:

Other than the way to handle level loads will be opening and loading data directly from the SD card. I don’t see any benefit in chaining abs loads externally. Especially as there will be access to the SD features from RB.

Any estimated timeline for RB access implementation?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, mario64 said:

Has there been any progress on implementing any of these features?

Actually starting to look at things, finally.

The biggest thing I've just resolved is the loading freeze which happened on some older Jaguars. I just want to test a little further with this update, then it will be released to the public.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

VLM is certainly possible.

It looks like the soft reset from the pad is NOT possible. I have something working to let me detect the pad input from the cartridge, but it's breaking games. I will re-visit this at some point, but I'm fairly sure it's not possible with this hardware configuration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I thought I'd add it here for completeness:

Support for adding a hardware reset switch to the Jag to reset back to the GDR menu (currently it reboots the loaded ROM).

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

One feature I'd like could either be an expansion of, or addition to, the mrq files. I'd like the ability to see overlays for games that use them. It could either be on screen when the game is highlighted, or something you can view by pressing another button. It could even be a simple text file that applies each line to one of the numpad buttons on an overlay background. Scans would be cool too, but I'm more interested in being able to see what the numpad buttons do before starting something, even if it is a simple diagram and text.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, wietze said:

I'd love it if it was possible to load current demoscene productions from the JagSD. Currently prods like https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=63929 and https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=62132 do not start from the JagSD.

I’ll second this absolutely. Morphonic Lab XIII Contarum is my fav demo. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@SainT I'd love to see a 'Delete' option to delete ROMS form the GameDrive interface on the Jag using the JagPad.  My micro-SD card tends to be filled with all sorts of ROMS many of which turn out not to work when tested or they're corrupt or duplicates of other ROMS elsewhere on the SD-card.  So it would be 'super convenient' to be able to delete unwanted ROMs on the Jag 'there and then', without having to remove the SD-card, put it in my laptop, find the file, delete the file etc. and without having to move the delicate micro-sd card between laptop and Jag numerous times etc. Thanks for listening :)  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, nicolaspersijn said:

I’ll second this absolutely. Morphonic Lab XIII Contarum is my fav demo. 

I've just realised this myself. Is there some init code not run when booting from the Gamedrive perhaps? Right now it seems a skunkboard is needed to run scene executables and while I am intending to buy one as well (support ALL the creators!) I'd love to be able to run them easily from the SD-card.

How can we help in figuring out why this is?

• 4 months later...

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to thank @SainT for such a great hardware piece! It's wonderful to play games, but also to test your own homebrew projects in a very easy and quick way :).

So, I'd like to suggest a feature request that should be helpful for homebrew game developers, and some players too:

- Would it be possible to force the console in 50hz or 60hz mode before launching a ROM on the GameDrive?

If I'm correct, it's possible to change the console video mode (50hz or 60hz) from software, and regardless of the console model being NTSC or PAL, as @Zerosquare explained in this forum: https://www.jagware.org/index.php?/topic/1012-forcing-60-hz-mode-on-pal-jaguars/

If it's possible, I see two uses cases for this:

- Allowing players with a PAL console to finally enjoy games in 60hz mode without having to cut open their console and modify the hardware to make it 50hz/60hz compatible

- Helping homebrew developers to test their game both on PAL and NTSC settings even if they have only one unmodified Jaguar at home (so NTSC developers can test if their games run fine on PAL, and vice-versa).

I don't know if this would be possible, but if it is, I think several people would enjoy such a feature (at least, I know I'll do :)).

You can do this, but the effect will probably not be what you expect.

The issue is that games typically don't use the video registers to detect the console type ; they check the state of bit 4 in the JOYBUTS register, which is read-only:

JOYBUTS.thumb.png.3ed847e81a4cab2c83f426776966127e.png

So the game would have the video registers set up for 60 Hz, but would still run the 50 Hz code path (or the opposite). You'd probably get screen centering issues, gameplay and/or animations that run too slow or too fast (because of the VBL interrupt frequency being slower or faster than expected), etc.

Of course, you can still try it for fun to seek what works and what doesn't. :)

But a hardware 50/60 Hz switch is a better option, and it's not complicated to install.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

You can do this, but the effect will probably not be what you expect.

The issue is that games typically don't use the video registers to detect the console type ; they check the state of bit 4 in the JOYBUTS register, which is read-only:

JOYBUTS.thumb.png.3ed847e81a4cab2c83f426776966127e.png

So the game would have the video registers set up for 60 Hz, but would still run the 50 Hz code path (or the opposite). You'd probably get screen centering issues, gameplay and/or animations that run too slow or too fast (because of the VBL interrupt frequency being slower or faster than expected), etc.

Of course, you can still try it for fun to seek what works and what doesn't. :)

But a hardware 50/60 Hz switch is a better option, and it's not complicated to install.

^^^ That's exactly how RAPTOR and a bunch of other things I've looked at do it, so soft-setting it would do zero good.