IGNORED

The Best and Final Joystick Adapter

Omega-TI

Some of the problems I have with joystick adapters are:

1) When stuff is plugged in it sticks out too far.

2) Sometimes the joystick adapter comes out of the TI.

3) Many times you have to keep switching back and forth between joystick and trackball.

For others ease of access might be nice, like right up in the front if you want to play a game and then put the joystick away later.  For me being able to keep the joystick and trackball plugged in at the same time would be nice!

I really like the look of a cased TexElec adapter, but what I'd really like to see is a "scaled up version" that actually is actually big enough to rest on the desk to as not to fall out, and be large enough to match the contour of the TI's sloping front.  

I'd have ONE joystick "A" port on the front, and on the back TWO joystick "A" ports and ONE joystick "B" port.  On the side, NOTHING.

827913173_TexElecMkII.thumb.JPG.ed1c18f5421ca0e0d4b08b709a7d0518.JPG

I don't know how much it would cost to make, but never having to screw around with plugging and unplugging or having the thing fall out while in use would be worth it to me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

I really like the idea! :)

i want one too :)

Would be awesome for sure.  In this instance I think the case would have to be designed first, and then the board.  In this case the board would probably have one connector mounted on the back, and then a lot of solder points for the four other DIN connectors what would snap into the case.

I very much agree.  My solution as it is is to use a 90 degree DB9 adapter connected to a DB9 extension cable, connected to a Wico Atari joystick adapter (which is actually mounted a ways away).  That does alright for space economy, but it's not the most elegant solution one could wish for.  Necessary though, since my TI is on a rack, and so limited to 22" or so of horizontal space (which is enough for NanoPEB+Speech+TI+90-degree-DB9-adapter). 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2019 at 8:21 PM, pixelpedant said:

Here's where the cable actually runs to, incidentally:

controllers.jpg

The objective being to have all used controller jacks permanently wired, with inputs all in one place (on the left side of my desk). 

On closer inspection of those labels on the connectors, it does not look like paper, so I have to ask, are they printed on plastic?  If so, what is the printing device you used?

3 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

On closer inspection of those labels on the connectors, it does not look like paper, so I have to ask, are they printed on plastic?  If so, what is the printing device you used?

A DYMO LabelManager PnP.  It's a USB label printer with no inbuilt label design features, but which can print arbitrary graphics or fonts from a connected computer.  And in this case, the labels are white-on-black plastic, indeed.  Which is 90% of the labels I use (or sometimes white-on-clear plastic, on my dark grey devices). 

With as much stuff to label as I have, I really do like to be able to use OEM fonts, or logos, or what have you. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Is it << THIS ONE >>?  

The reason I ask is because it does not appear to support user defined graphics, like you used on your labels.

Looks to me like it does:

* PRINTS CUSTOM LABELS: Customize labels using fonts and graphics from your computer
* PRINTS BARCODES: UPC E, Code 39, Code 128, EAN 13, EAN 8, UPC A

...lee

54 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Is it << THIS ONE >>?  

The reason I ask is because it does not appear to support user defined graphics, like you used on your labels.

That's the one.  It should perhaps be noted that I don't use the I recall somewhat streamlined software which came with it, but instead Dymo's general purpose Dymo Label software.  And even still, adding graphics is slightly unintuitive (though intended functionality).  Still, it gets the job done. 

42 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

* PRINTS CUSTOM LABELS: Customize labels using fonts and graphics from your computer

Missed that of the first pass through...

4 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

That's the one.  It should perhaps be noted that I don't use the I recall somewhat streamlined software which came with it, but instead Dymo's general purpose Dymo Label software.  And even still, adding graphics is slightly unintuitive (though intended functionality).  Still, it gets the job done. 

Thanks.  Is there a link to the software you use?

7 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Missed that of the first pass through...

Thanks.  Is there a link to the software you use?

I use this: http://www.dymo.com/en-US/dymo-label-software-v8-5-windows

Which is not the latest version.  But I've had no reason to upgrade.  For a full list of versions (including Mac versions), see Support->Drivers & Downloads->View All, here: 

http://www.dymo.com/en-CA/labelmanager-pnp-label-maker

• Like 1

The software that comes with it is fairly good.  It's Plug & Play and even has some storage memory in it.  You can run the software directly from the label maker with no need to install anything on your PC.  I'll play around with it a little bit more later.

Awesome.thumb.JPG.08b24f90a4eee81d9bf7c02078140639.JPG

The disappointing thing about this purchase was that is it came with 8 tape cartridges, but NONE was white on black.

There was black on green, black on blue,black on yellow, black on red, black on clear and three black on white.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

The disappointing thing about this purchase was that is it came with 8 tape cartridges, but NONE was white on black.

There was black on green, black on blue,black on yellow, black on red, black on clear and three black on white.

Yeesh.  On the bright side, as with printer ink, third party cartridges are very cheap, so you should have all you need for relatively cheap.