IGNORED

[Final] Dog Walk

nooly

Hello,

I'm relatively new here and I'd like to present a game I've been working on for a while.

First, let me tell something about myself. I'm 8bit and 16bit geek from Czech Republic. I'm a professional sound engineer who works on high budget games and I've been active in the demoscene for over 21 years now (I participated on plethora of productions: demos, intros, games,...). I always liked restrictions and Atari 2600 seems perfect for my taste. I do sports, especially ice hockey and inline hockey.

Now about the game itself. It's a single player game. You are some guy who lives near some huge factory. And you have a dog. The problem are common deadly acid rains and acid snow storms because of the permanent pollution. One freezing day your doggy really wants to go out for a walk. So you go out despite imminent acid snow storm. Did I mention that if a snowflake hits you then you die instantly? Oh surely I did. You control both yourself and your dog. You can go to the left or to the right. If you press joyfire, you tell your dog to stay. If you press it again, you tell your dog to come. He will come and stay nearby you. You and your dog only need to stay away from those deadly snow flakes for as long as possible. Snow flakes come in waves - slow falling and fast falling. After every wave the delay between seeing a snowflake and when it actually starts to fall decreases, so the game becomes harder and harder. Color/BW pauses the game.

It's a common 4k game without any technical achievements. Although the concept is simple I think it can be fun for a while. I had more complex music in mind but I quickly ran out of space, sorry about that. I had same problem with SFX, some had to go. Recently I saved about 80 bytes (learning is fun) so I may do something about it. Despite I'm from EU region I made the game primarily for NTSC regions. I made a PAL conversion, too. My friend phob made that gorgeous graphics and the rest is mine.

I haven't tested in on real HW but I'd like to make my own cartridges. Curious how that will go. I may release source code on request but it's a mess (I have limited programming skills). So please tell me what do you think about it. Is there something what can make the game more fun to play?

UPDATE 2019/09/19

I put a new version together (0.92 RC). I added some sounds and changed missiles speed progression. It may also be the final for the 4k version if there are no bugs and gameplay is somehow balanced ;]

UPDATE 2019/12/16

Version 1.0 is just the same as 0.92 RC, I just formally made a release 1.0 version. Hope you enjoy it and make it over 500 unlike me ;]

dogwalk_gameplay.gif.6d5bd1610e6d040b56dc9de18fe0d7ee.gif

dogwalk_v0.9RC_NTSC.bas.bin dogwalk_v0.9RC_PAL.bas.bin

dogwalk_v0.92RC_NTSC.bas.bin dogwalk_v0.92RC_PAL.bas.bin

dogwalk_v1.0_NTSC.bas.bin dogwalk_v1.0_PAL.bas.bin

Edited by nooly
  • Like 17

Cool game, what if it was called rescue dog and if you get hit and "die" you start controlling The dog and you can run over and jump on The dudes chest and resesitate him, and if the dog gets hit he lays on his back with his legs straight up in The air and you can go and put him up on his legs again, only if both get hit its finito, I would like to see those animations by your friend :)

• Like 1

Thank you guys so much for your comments ;] I'm really glad you like game concept and gfx. I'd like to keep the game 4k but I consider my next project to be a 16/32k game. But I have to learn a lot of things. I'll first finish this game ofc. What about game difficulty? It's too easy, too hard for you? What's your maximum score? On NTSC I made like 280 and I mostly die because of my misjudgements.

9 hours ago, bluswimmer said:

It's a neat idea. The sprites are great. I believe there should be sort of animation/sound attached to telling the dog to stay, though. I didn't realize this feature was in the game initially, and I thought I had encountered a bug. Perhaps some sort of whistlelike effect would work for that?

Yes, whistling was one of the sounds that had to go because of the ROM space. Now I have some spare bytes so I'll try to reimplement it.

1 hour ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Cool game, what if it was called rescue dog and if you get hit and "die" you start controlling The dog and you can run over and jump on The dudes chest and resesitate him, and if the dog gets hit he lays on his back with his legs straight up in The air and you can go and put him up on his legs again, only if both get hit its finito, I would like to see those animations by your friend :)

Haha actually that's a great idea ;D Or your death could trigger story mode when your doggy becomes stray dog, has to become leader of dog pack and later finds new human buddy. But this time he can't lose him! And if you lose your doggy you could become anti dog breeding activist and try to save those poor creatures from dog breeders. Anyway dog/dude reviving in a time limit is actually good idea ;] If I ever make 16/32k version, I'll consider it!

We'll be featuring Dog Walk LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT ! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Dog Walk (2019 WIP) by Vojta aka nooly
- The Wicked Father (2011) by Jamie Hamshere aka Junosix
- RoboMechanik (2018 WIP) by Krzysztof Kluczek aka KK/Altair

EDIT: Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Dog Walk for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

566564867_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.565f12c48fdd9e158c87485cae30c805.jpg1959845343_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-Best4KHomebrewAtari2600.jpg.719427ef8f458df38b07257a88406ed0.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just want to let you know that I'm going to release "Dog Walk" as my second cartridge :) I already got permission from nooly.

There is no precise release date yet, but I would love to do this until the end of the year.

This picture will most probably work as a base for the main label:

cover.thumb.jpg.2bb29466c3074e21f5cca04ed032de2d.jpg

It's generated by Leonardo AI :)

• Like 3