IGNORED

'Ignore Member' feature should Work On Status

RockyRaccoon

Basically, right now, if you ignore someone using the ignore member feature, there's no way to also block their Status.

Right now the only chocies are;  Posts, Messages, Signature, Mentions.

I feel like 'Status' should be there too. Is there a way for Admin to add that?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

No, but I can post in Invision's Feedback forum and ask them to add it.

..Al

Thanks. Also, Al, is it possible to get someone's E-mail from their profile somehow? I got straight up 'E-mail' asking why I 'Sad Reacted' their Sort of Spammy Statuses-- I don't think I have that as public info on my profile after checking and rechecking. I feel this kinda borders on creepy harassing considering I have them 'Ignored' every other way via the feature-- prior for a while. 

Edit: Lol, they probably got it from my personal website which I do have listed. So nvm there, but still. That's an issue still there.

1 minute ago, RockyRaccoon said:

Thanks. Also, Al, is it possible to get someone's E-mail from their profile somehow? I got straight up 'E-mail' asking why I 'Sad Reacted' their Sort of Spammy Statuses. I feel this kinda borders on creepy harassing considering I have them 'Ignored' every other way via the feature-- prior for a while.

Email addresses are not exposed to regular users, nor would I share anyone's email without permission.  Only admins and global moderators can see email addresses.  A quick Google search revealed your email address, though...

..Al

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Albert said:

Email addresses are not exposed to regular users, nor would I share anyone's email without permission.  Only admins and global moderators can see email addresses.  A quick Google search revealed your email address, though...

..Al

Yeah, Like I said in my edit, I have it on my website, which is in my profile. X3. Which I imagine is how they got it.

Which somehow makes it creepier because they had to do research to do that, lol. 

Just now, RockyRaccoon said:

Yeah, Like I said in my edit, I have it on my website, which is in my profile. X3. Which I imagine is how they got it.

Which somehow makes it creepier because they had to do research to do that, lol. 

To be fair, it literally took me ten seconds to find it.  Would have been even faster had I just clicked the link in your signature.

..Al

25 minutes ago, Albert said:

To be fair, it literally took me ten seconds to find it.  Would have been even faster had I just clicked the link in your signature.

..Al

Yeah.

I'm glad G-mail has great filter options. I won't see E-mail from them again unless they go through the trouble of using a second E-mail account or something.

14 hours ago, RockyRaccoon said:

Basically, right now, if you ignore someone using the ignore member feature, there's no way to also block their Status.

Right now the only chocies are;  Posts, Messages, Signature, Mentions.

I feel like 'Status' should be there too. Is there a way for Admin to add that?

You won't see anymore of those specific ones, I turned them off.  If you don't heed my warning, you pay the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting topic. I had to add just the second name to my Ignore/Block list recently after a particularly unpleasant interaction with someone who clearly doesn’t know the first thing about forum software or the benefits of a subscription, who reacted with paranoia and creepy pseudo-threatening behavior instead.

So with that in mind, I’d like to add a tangential question to this one: if I block someone, will that person still see *MY* content? If so, is it possible/desirable or at least something worth considering to make the block reciprocal? If I don’t want to see someone’s content, do I really want them creeping on *my* content? Especially if they’re the paranoid type? I kind of think not, but I’m willing to accept that I don’t know for sure if it’s a good thing for the forum as a whole. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

So with that in mind, I’d like to add a tangential question to this one: if I block someone, will that person still see *MY* content? If so, is it possible/desirable or at least something worth considering to make the block reciprocal? If I don’t want to see someone’s content, do I really want them creeping on *my* content? Especially if they’re the paranoid type? I kind of think not, but I’m willing to accept that I don’t know for sure if it’s a good thing for the forum as a whole. 

What you are describing is similar to how Facebook works. If you block someone, they can no longer see your Facebook profile or any of your posts or comments.  And vice versa.  You basically become invisible to one another.  The forum software does not do that, and it would be a fair amount of work to make it behave the same way, so it's not something I would undertake myself.  Perhaps Invision will get to that at some point, but right now if you block someone they can still see your content. 

Probably why they haven't added this functionality is it would require even more queries that would have to be executed to not display all "blocked" content depending on who everyone has blocked, and it would definitely be more resource intensive.  Facebook can afford to do that, but most forums are run by individuals or smaller businesses, and it gets more expensive to run a forum as the forum software itself gets more resource intensive (especially for busier forums).

..Al