Jump to content
SainT

ROM Loading Freezing

Recommended Posts

On 4/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, SainT said:

Insert a cartridge and test the continuity between the pad on the cartridge and the via and work backward from there. You'll probably find the connection to reset is broken somewhere along the line.

I don't have a bare cartridge and don't want to open one up (yet).

On 4/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, SainT said:

The reset signal is generated by R77, R78, D2 and C42 giving a delayed reset on startup. It then goes through U9 (74HC14) to clean up the signal. There is TP16 which will give you an inverted version of the signal and then TP13 which should give the final reset output with a logic probe.

 

Test the continuity from the cartridge pad to R78/D2/pin 13 of U9 then work your way through the reset circuit.

I tested for continuity between B33 and the suggested components. There seems to be connectivity between all of them. I ordered a logic probe, so once that arrives I can continue this quest. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, teclas1983 said:

I just received my JaGD. I'm having trouble getting to play. The menu works normally but after the rom loads the image freezes on a red screen with the name Jaguar and the game doesn't load.
Note: Original cartridges work normally.

When booting the GD hold down option (or possibly pause, I forget) and it will do a memory test. If this fails try removing / cleaning / reinserting the cart and see if this fixes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teclas1983 said:

I did the memory test (I don't think it gave a problem) but the problem persists.

I tested 2 cartridges on 3 different consoles and the same problem happened.

I am also unfortunately having this same issue.  Most games do not work - only a few do.  Not sure what to try - different SD card perhaps?  Are there are debug or diagnostic ROMs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the memory test succeeds the rom images are most likely bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I am also unfortunately having this same issue.  Most games do not work - only a few do.  Not sure what to try - different SD card perhaps?  Are there are debug or diagnostic ROMs?

in your case some roms worked and in mine none works all are showing this red screen, including the roms provided by Stone age gamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SainT said:

If the memory test succeeds the rom images are most likely bad.

In the new video that I posted the memory test worked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teclas1983 said:

In the new video that I posted the memory test worked?

The video does not work for me. If it does not say it has failed and continues to the menu, then everything should be working fine.

 

I have never heard of a situation where the memory test is fine, games appear to load ok from the menu, but all games red screen.

 

I don’t know what could be wrong, but if you have tried multiple consoles, it only leaves the cartridge with having a fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, teclas1983 said:

I did the memory test (I don't think it gave a problem) but the problem persists.

I tested 2 cartridges on 3 different consoles and the same problem happened.


Do you mean you have tested 2 different GameDrive carts on 3 different Jaguar consoles and all have the same issue? And none fail the memory test on boot?

If so this makes absolutely no sense to me. The only thing this leaves as a common denominator is bad rom images. But then, if you have some included from SAG, then those DO work.

 

This quite honestly makes no sense to me at all. A dirty edge connector can cause issues like this, but it would not be consistent, especially over multiple consoles, and would show up as failed memory tests as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stephen said:

I am also unfortunately having this same issue.  Most games do not work - only a few do.  Not sure what to try - different SD card perhaps?  Are there are debug or diagnostic ROMs?

I missed there was a second issue in this thread. If some games are working and others are not, it may be bad rom images. Also, if the edge connector / socket is dirty, it can result in random red screens when booting games.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SainT said:

I missed there was a second issue in this thread. If some games are working and others are not, it may be bad rom images. Also, if the edge connector / socket is dirty, it can result in random red screens when booting games.

Thanks - I am hoping to have some time this weekend to really dig into troubleshooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SainT said:


Do you mean you have tested 2 different GameDrive carts on 3 different Jaguar consoles and all have the same issue? And none fail the memory test on boot?

If so this makes absolutely no sense to me. The only thing this leaves as a common denominator is bad rom images. But then, if you have some included from SAG, then those DO work.

 

This quite honestly makes no sense to me at all. A dirty edge connector can cause issues like this, but it would not be consistent, especially over multiple consoles, and would show up as failed memory tests as well.

Because all 3 Jaguars with two jagGD gave the same red screen problem, I used several roms including an internet archive fullset that says it is 100% compatible with jagGD, other roms I hunted on the internet and also the 3 roms made available by stoneage gamer for whoever bought the flashcard there, all gave red screen. The memory test was successful as no error message appeared on the screen. Tested with original console source and quality parallel source, I used scart cable, composite cable and s-video cable, I used contact cleaner on the slot yesterday and today isopropyl alcohol to brush the contacts with a brush. All gave red screen. With genuine cartridges this problem does not occur. I'm actually pretty worried.

Edited by teclas1983

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want this thing.....but this thread doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Can this thing bend the pins in your console?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you got a photo (close up) of the jaguar cartridge slot. IIRC the GD uses some pins that normal Jaguar games don't. If they are bent or dirty I'm sure problems could arise from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sn8k said:

I want this thing.....but this thread doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Can this thing bend the pins in your console?

 

 


No, it does not bend pins. For example, I have tested every single cartridge I have ever produced for the Jaguar using one single console and have inserted the cartridge multiple times per test. This equates to multiple-thousand (!!) cart removal and insertions into this one cart slot. I have yet to have any issues with bent pins or indeed any issues at all. On top of this, this is the same Jaguar used to develop the cartridge in the first place. So it’s also had the cartridge running in the console for hundreds of hours. So I can say with high confidence the cart does not damage the console in any way. If you are ham-fisted, of course, you *can* damage the cart port with any cartridge or other suitably sized inanimate object.

 

Also, due to the fact this cartridge uses several pins on the cartridge port no-other cartridge uses, some people have issues with the GameDrive on consoles which otherwise have no issues with regular games. This does not mean there is a problem with the cartridge. So far out of the problems people have had, only 2 (I think this is correct), have actually been an issue with a cartridge, the rest have been faulty consoles. That’s one of the issues when designing new hardware for 30 year old consoles. The consoles themselves are often not in good shape, but sometimes the problems are not manifested until the GD issued. Or a JagCD unit would have similar issues as it also uses additional pins.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Atari Nut said:

The title of this thread says FIXED.  What was the fix?


The original issue which was presented in this thread was concluded. People have continued to post in it however, I guess it should have been locked.

 

And of course to top it all off, people are posting issues which are not related to the console freezing, so is actually off topic as far as the thread is concerned and a completely different issue. 🙄

Edited by SainT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, teclas1983 said:

Because all 3 Jaguars with two jagGD gave the same red screen problem, I used several roms including an internet archive fullset that says it is 100% compatible with jagGD, other roms I hunted on the internet and also the 3 roms made available by stoneage gamer for whoever bought the flashcard there, all gave red screen. The memory test was successful as no error message appeared on the screen. Tested with original console source and quality parallel source, I used scart cable, composite cable and s-video cable, I used contact cleaner on the slot yesterday and today isopropyl alcohol to brush the contacts with a brush. All gave red screen. With genuine cartridges this problem does not occur. I'm actually pretty worried.


Why are you worried? Your consoles work exactly as they did before.
 

You seem to have some issue which makes no sense at all, and given you have tested with 2 cartridges and multiple consoles I can only suggest returning the cartridges for a refund. If SAG find they have the same issue, they could be replaced, otherwise for whatever reason, your consoles do not work with the cartridge.

 

As I say, it makes absolutely no sense to me at all and it’s not something I’ve ever seen before.

 

One last thing — have you tried different memory cards? It’s the last thing I can think which is related to the rom images which I’ve not asked about. I’ve not really heard of issues with memory cards like this, but I guess there’s always a first.

Edited by SainT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SainT said:


No, it does not bend pins. For example, I have tested every single cartridge I have ever produced for the Jaguar using one single console and have inserted the cartridge multiple times per test. This equates to multiple-thousand (!!) cart removal and insertions into this one cart slot. I have yet to have any issues with bent pins or indeed any issues at all. On top of this, this is the same Jaguar used to develop the cartridge in the first place. So it’s also had the cartridge running in the console for hundreds of hours. So I can say with high confidence the cart does not damage the console in any way. If you are ham-fisted, of course, you *can* damage the cart port with any cartridge or other suitably sized inanimate object.

 

Also, due to the fact this cartridge uses several pins on the cartridge port no-other cartridge uses, some people have issues with the GameDrive on consoles which otherwise have no issues with regular games. This does not mean there is a problem with the cartridge. So far out of the problems people have had, only 2 (I think this is correct), have actually been an issue with a cartridge, the rest have been faulty consoles. That’s one of the issues when designing new hardware for 30 year old consoles. The consoles themselves are often not in good shape, but sometimes the problems are not manifested until the GD issued. Or a JagCD unit would have similar issues as it also uses additional pins.

Ok cool. Back to being excited about getting a Jag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SainT said:


Why are you worried? Your consoles work exactly as they did before.
 

You seem to have some issue which makes no sense at all, and given you have tested with 2 cartridges and multiple consoles I can only suggest returning the cartridges for a refund. If SAG find they have the same issue, they could be replaced, otherwise for whatever reason, your consoles do not work with the cartridge.

 

As I say, it makes absolutely no sense to me at all and it’s not something I’ve ever seen before.

 

One last thing — have you tried different memory cards? It’s the last thing I can think which is related to the rom images which I’ve not asked about. I’ve not really heard of issues with memory cards like this, but I guess there’s always a first.

 

I used 3 types of sd card: one 16gb class10, one 8gb class 4, one 4gb class 4 and one 2gb.  all had the same problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...