IGNORED

What exactly was YARS' REVENGE Fly Spray?

JayAre

18 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Never saw this before. Interesting. 

Yeah, this is an interesting one.  Extremely difficult to find too.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it was sent to retailers as an in-store promo item, which is probably why they're so scarce.  And maybe not too many of these were produced either.

Ok this is a little weird. You posted this today. When I saw the post and picture I said to myself that is pretty interesting I have never seen that before. Just now I was flipping through my Timehop app for today and this pops up from my Dropbox account 11 years ago today. Seriously this is Twilight Zone weird stuff. d532090e4332347cd124f4625d63ec0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, hizzy said:

Could it be this is a fan made thing? Has it ever been seen in person?

Hizzy, I hadn't thought of that.  Given how little info. there is out there on this thing, that's entirely possible.  If it was fan-made, they did a damn good job, as it looks really nice.

Well, I did a little snooping around on the ole interweb, and I found three instances relating to this item.  I don't know if it's the same one in all the pictures though.  The first is the pic that I used in my original post, which is from Rom's site.

The second instance is a set of pictures (attached) from a table at the E3 in 2011.  There's an info. card next to the can, but I can't read what it says.

And in the last pic (attached), I noticed that there's some etching/engraving on the orange cap, but it's difficult to see what it is in the picture.  If that etching is related to the game, I would think that this thing was professionally made, as it's a bit unlikely that someone would have been able to do that from home.  But I guess anything is possible.

Man, I'd love to get to the bottom of this.

DSC_4836.jpg

DSC_4808.jpg

atari_2600_yars_revenge_spray.jpg

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 2

Couple thoughts:

- The "KEEP EXCITED CROWDS AT BAY!" tagline at the bottom of the can definitely seems, to me, to point to it as some kind of promotional item for stores/dealers/etc.

- If all the other stuff on that 2011 E3 table was produced back in the day, I'd imagine the canister was as well.

- Looking ("looking") at the etching on the cap of the can, it seems like you can just make out the Yars' eyes near the top and claws around the sides, but obviously it could be anything.

- I now want one of these.

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good observations there, King.  When I first saw the cap earlier today, I couldn't make out any of the details.  But I just took a long, hard look at it, and I can see what you're saying.  Those round/oval shapes kind of look like the Yar's eyes.

And you're right, Zzip; a trade show would have been a perfect place for this item to show up.

Edited by JayAre

I don’t know any more than anyone else, but my hunch would maybe be a promo item from the CES the year Yar’s Revenge was made.  They seem to have a lot of goofy promotional items available at the CES in years past. I’ve got a few Odyssey items and a Burgertime chefs hat from a few of the 80s shows. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spriggy said:

Some pics of items from the 2001 Classic Gaming Expo HERE shows a can of Yars Spray, with some text that says "A fine piece of Japanese kitsch. Yars Revenge Fly Spray!"

So you can at least trace it back to 2001.

Thanks, Spriggy.  Well, at least knowing it was around in 2001 helps narrow down the timeline a bit.

Why did the text refer to it as being kitsch of the Japanese variety?  Was the writer suggesting that the artwork on the can looks like anime?