IGNORED

What are your FAVORITE games for an UNEXPANDED system?

Omega-TI

We all have our personal favorite games for our TI, but what are your two favorites, and honorable mention,

that are playable on an UNEXPANDED system?

1) My first is BORZORK by Nanochess.  I wanted that game for the TI like forever, it's the main one I go to when I have some time to kill.  AWESOME GAME!

2) My second is 'currently' Dragon's Lair by Tursi.  I still suck at the game, but it totally blows me away with what it's doing with sound and graphics on an unexpanded system. 

3) My honorable mention is Parsec as it's partially responsible for originally getting me into the TI in the first place and it's a good play.

As long as your not counting the MP3 / tape player and interface cable as a "expansion":

Same Colors by senior_falcon.

Honorable mention to Morphy.

Carts that dont need TIPI/32K/FinalGrom:

Dragons lair, hands down.

Honorable mention to Zero Zap

<Ducks for cover>

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 3

I'm rather keen on Hunt the Wumpus and Peter Cottontail's Egg Hunt, myself. Never got to try Tursi's Dragon's Lair pack, so I wouldn't know about it. Curious about Pitfall on the TI, though.

Speaking of Donkey Kong, I'm trying to convince my boyfriend that it has all of the levels from the arcade, just spread out, instead of one after the other like in the arcade; he thinks that the game was only able to fit in two levels.

• Like 1

I don't see a single cartridge as an expansion myself.  If you plug a Parsec cartridge in the console, it does not give the TI any more capabilities than it could already natively handle.  It's just now days some of you Uber Programmers have come up with some pretty amazing programs that we could never have even envisioned or considered possible BITD.  I mean really, if you could go back in time to any TI users group meeting in 1982 and plug in a Dragon's Lair cartridge, the place would have come unglued.

16 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

ti game: alpiner

3rd party: bigfoot

homebrew: dragon's lair 

Registered business, licensed title, R&D, full commercial package with manufactured hardware... what's a guy got to do to lose the homebrew tag? Maybe in twenty years I'll be "third party". ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Trusi do not feel alone, I know that feeling.

RXB has been distributed by no less than 9 third party TI99/4A producers and I am still stuck in Home Brew crowd.

Even though sold in Cart form by Competition Computer, Asgard, Western Horizon (Budd Mills), and many others.

Or not even on the lists. Yet RXB (Rich GRAMKRACKER Extended Basic) has been around since 1992???

• Like 2

Registered business, licensed title, R&D, full commercial package with manufactured hardware... what's a guy got to do to lose the homebrew tag? Maybe in twenty years I'll be "third party". atariage_icon_wink.gif

I always succeed in poking your sore spot..

Corrected

Modern third party: dragon's lair

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I feel like the first party/third party/bootleg/homebrew distinctions can make sense in some contexts.  I mean, those are pretty well defined in the case of say NES games, just due to the absence of magnetic media, the system manufacturer insisting on controlling all distribution, and the consequent necessity that bootlegs implement a circumvention device. 

But in the 80s home computing sphere, it's a bit weird.  Granted, less so in TI's case, since they were more hands-on than some, and most popular original era games are mass-produced carts rather than magnetic media.  But in an MSX or Speccy context for example, it really doesn't make much sense at all. 

I feel like it's mostly a case of language relevant to most popular gaming platforms of the era being somewhat erroneously extended to the entire market, when portions of the market don't really recognise these distinctions, and when, furthermore, in the present day, they've often become essentially meaningless.