IGNORED

What is the value of my Atari Falcon?

Hi all,

I don't know whether this is oke to ask. But after (very) long thinking, I've decided to sell my Atari Falcon.. I haven't been using it enough to keep it really.. 

It looks and feels like new, is complete with the internal metal shield and speaker, the original 84 MB Connor harddrive is in the (bit noisy though) and a spare harddrive, 14 MB ram, software, Atari drawing tablet (or whatever it's called ;), switcher to connect the Falcon to the old ST displays, etc.

I included a bunch of pictures of it working, and the whole package..

For some strange reason, some of the pictures are sideways and can always be reshot...

Oh, it hasn't been recapped yet...

Bas.

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3956.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

So, they were going for around $600 a few years back but I've seen them sell around $1000. You also have a box and several extras so that should increase the price at around $100. I'd take Keatah's advice and look at the history of sales for the Falcon and compare those to yours. Although it hasn't been recapped, that's worth mentioning but not too much of an issue for today's collector. In fact, some might prefer that you hadn't done it since they couldn't be sure it was done properly. A couple of things to mention when you're selling it.

1. Does it come with math co-processor. If so, which one. 

2. Does the clock chip still function.

Again, not a big deal but someone might want to know that.

Now, if you don't want to hand over a portion of your money to Ebay, you can first try selling it hear or locally. Obviously you won't get the exposer that ebay will give you but what Atari fan isn't on here so using Ebay, you're more than likely going to run into a few resellers. 

Hope that helps,

Thanks Justin for your info.. I honestly haven't tried whether the clock chip still worked. But really, you'd want to replace it asap anyway I think.. 

And yeah, for me, recapping only if the person doing it really knows what they are doing. My Amiga 4000/030 has already been done, just like the C128D and monitor. But finding someone who really knows their stuff on a Falcon is a LOT harder!

The reason why I'm here and not Ebay is indeed the resellers.. I would really hate for someone to buy it and sell it with profit because they really are only interested in the bottom line. I'd rather keep it then!

$1100 is insane I think! Sure, I know it's rare, but still. Okay, I love it because for me, it's the ultimate home computer. So non-PC machine. Blitter, 030, DSP, what's not to like?

Precisely! It's really complete, looks great, and really should not go to waste. Especially with traders and resellers. Yuk! Hopefully to an enthousiast on this forum...

Wow, did the EBay sold items search. $1000-$2200 and none of them look as good as mine. Then again, a few really expensive ones have expansions and are recapped. Still, my Lisas only sold for $600 each! Working!

You would be surprised what they sell for but all know know is what I've seen. Since I have one, I don't need another so I haven't been actively searching but for an Atari ST fan, the Falcon is the ultimate prize. Heck, I've seen Amiga 1200's go for around $800...which is really nuts when you consider what kind of PC you can build for those prices. I guess if you're flush with cash, it's worth it.

As far as the Dallas clock chips, do those leak? They look pretty sealed up so if that's a thing, I'm not aware of it. They are kind of a pain to get to so if one were to replace it, I'd probably stick the replacement to a more accessible location inside of the case and run wires to the original location. Yes, chances are it will last you another 10 years but it's a consideration.

As far as I'm aware of.. They don't really seem to leak. Maybe after a bunch more years, don't really know. A lot better than the classic Xbox (which I also still own) with it's clock capacitor which should already really be replaced :) 

But interesting.. I do still have an Amiga 4000/030, freshly recapped with Quantum Fireball harddrive inside (I still prefer the old harddrives over CF until they die). I'm starting to wonder how much those go for.. 

For me, the Falcon also was the ultimate prize. I had a ST first, then a Mega STE and a Falcon finally. And today, I only have the Falcon left.. Unfortunately..

Wow, just checking the Amiga 4000 (also full specs, but nowhere near as complete or nice looking). Ridiculous! And indeed, even the A1200.... Wow..

Edited by Struisvogel
  • Like 1

Dallas chips don't leak, but for sure last not 26-7 years, so it need to be replaced, not only because clock, but it stores some video settings too. Or just replace battery part.

Considering prices and computing power, home computer in 1992 and today:

" it's the ultimate home computer " - yes, if you are in years 1992-1995 . Today computers are about 1000x faster, so much more RAM, + other capabilities.

If we would look strictly the power, Falcon would sell for 20 bucks at top. But it is retro computer, and price is dictated by it's quantity on market. Yeah, old demand supply ratio.  Prices go higher simply because count of working machines go lower, what is normal with any machine.

• Like 1

Yep, the ultimate home computer roughly 25 years ago :) I've been looking at replacing the battery part only, but that basically means opening it up, and if you do it wrong, won't it ruin the logic board? 

And todays computers, to my opinion, miss things that were still available on the Falcon. Really, for me, PC's are the same every generation. Just faster. Really boring..

But then again, I'm an old man, partly living in a past that doesn't exist anymore... 

13 hours ago, Struisvogel said:

Perhaps good to know. It is a European version. Even though with Falcons, that really doesn't make that much of a difference, as it is relatively easy to change around... 

Wow, not used to selling my computers, so hard to think of a price...

Hi, your Falcon looks indeed in really good shape and comes with an original box and accessories, so it will be easier to sell. I'm sure that many current Falcon users might be interested because they don't have such a nice, complete machine.

where are you located? I might be interested in the drawing board...

best regards

I'm in the Netherlands. And yes, I really did try to keep everything complete and looking very very nice throughout the years. With the Falcon, 800XE and Electron, that really worked, but the Commodores.... Only the C128 looks like that.. Oh, and my Spectrum 128K is complete and looks perfect. If the keyboard membrane didn't need replacing (is in back order). Oh, and the MSX2 (Philips) is also in great shape, complete with printer etc. I'm really careful with my stuff.....

17 minutes ago, Christos said:

Falcons nowadays are more expensive than when they were new. It's funny, because if the were as sought after back then, we wouldn't be talking about the Atari VCS but we'd have youtubers comparing the the Falcon SE with whatever overpriced thing Apple is releasing these days.

That's not correct. Price of Falcon 030 with 60 MB 2.5 inch disk was about 2600-2800 DEM in later 1992 in Germany. If we take inflation in calculation, that's simply about same number in Euros today. I know that it was less in USA, but still ... One of the reasons for lower sales of Falcon, beside delay was exactly higher price than was announced.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
mistype

Yes, I do remember that the Amiga 4000/030 (for me the alternative) was cheaper than the Falcon. So I bought a A4000/030 first (which I still have) and the Falcon when I could afford one and could find one barely used... But I forgot that they were THAT expensive! I'm in the Netherlands, so in guilders, that was +10% from the DEM.. Ouch! And I also bought my first PC in the early 90s.........

I did keep and use the Falcon and Amiga until the late 90s, as I always liked using them better than the PC. And it was a sad day when the PC took over.. And the PC is still as boring as it ever was for me... 

So, FPGA cycle accurate Amiga and Atari (500/1200/4000/ST/STe/Falcon)? Yes please! I'll buy them in an instant...

Perhaps an AmigaOne X5000 some day. Wish there was an Atari equivalent available though..

Edited by Struisvogel

I'm currently thinking about 1400 US$ or 1275 euros. What do you guys think, is that fair? I usually find very beautiful ones professionally re-done for US$2000+ or anywhere between pretty bad and pretty okay for US$750-1250... Mine is really somewhere in between. That is, taking your advice and looking on EBay on sold items / closed items.. But I might have looked at the wrong things...

2 hours ago, Christos said:

Falcons nowadays are more expensive than when they were new. It's funny, because if the were as sought after back then, we wouldn't be talking about the Atari VCS but we'd have youtubers comparing the the Falcon SE with whatever overpriced thing Apple is releasing these days.

But Apple doesn't release anything overpriced! Like a non-serviceable iMac Pro, a $6000 so-called professional display, a $1000 stand for the display or a probably $5000+ Mac Pro? Still, I really like MacOS and I really really don't like Windows... Unreliable, buggy and out of date stuff for me, Windows..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Struisvogel said:

I'm currently thinking about 1400 US$ or 1275 euros. What do you guys think, is that fair? I usually find very beautiful ones professionally re-done for US$2000+ or anywhere between pretty bad and pretty okay for US$750-1250... Mine is really somewhere in between. That is, taking your advice and looking on EBay on sold items / closed items.. But I might have looked at the wrong things...

That sounds about right IMO.

you’ll probably sell it fast, some of the highest marked Falcons will be listed more than once...

and the drawing board, I’d still be interested ?

If you want your Falcon to go into the hands of someone who does really use it, why don't you offer it on the several Atari scene groups on facebook or atari-forum.com first? They probably don't offer you what you can get on Ebay, but you'll be almost 100% sure it will be used for creative purposes.

Edited by Ayreon