IGNORED

What is the value of my Atari Falcon?

On 9/4/2019 at 4:42 AM, Ayreon said:

If you want your Falcon to go into the hands of someone who does really use it, why don't you offer it on the several Atari scene groups on facebook or atari-forum.com first? They probably don't offer you what you can get on Ebay, but you'll be almost 100% sure it will be used for creative purposes.

Definitely wanted to echo @Ayreon on this one.

FWIW I have two Falcons and am not in the market for another.

That said, beyond steering the unit to an enthusiastic user, avoiding Ebay and using instead atari-forum.com or something like Amibay means you can avoid the growing number of scam artists on Ebay.

There's many accounts of sellers getting ripped off by dishonest "buyers" claiming the item was never shipped, never arrived, wasn't what was advertised, arrived broken etc.   And Ebay's policies seem very heavily tilted in favor of the buyer.  My own experience here is selling a new-in-the-box item to some woman in Kansas, who then claimed the item arrived without a power adapter, and before I could even respond, had contacted Ebay who charged me not only to refund her money but also to ship the item back to me at a premium rate.  I got back a damaged box (with the power adapter still present) which was now worth considerably less than when it had been undamaged.

And as much as that experienced pissed me off, reading other accounts it seems many sellers have simply lost whatever they were selling, essentially being forced by Ebay to pay to ship their items to a scammer.  

If/when I come to sell my Falcons, I won't be using Ebay.   I accept that I won't get the best possible price, but that's a price worth paying IMHO.

Either way, good luck selling yours.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ayreon said:

If you want your Falcon to go into the hands of someone who does really use it, why don't you offer it on the several Atari scene groups on facebook or atari-forum.com first? They probably don't offer you what you can get on Ebay, but you'll be almost 100% sure it will be used for creative purposes.

Yes, I totally agree. I really don't mind getting less for the computer. I just sold the computer through this forum. I might have gotten 100 euros or so more on EBay, but no, thanks. I'd rather see it with someone reliable who loves it and will actively use it! I'll probably sell my Atari 800XE (like new, really) through this forum as well..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ayreon said:

why don't you offer it on the several Atari scene groups on facebook or atari-forum.com first? They probably don't offer you what you can get on Ebay, but you'll be almost 100% sure it will be used for creative purposes.

Almost. :)

I wouldn't trust FB/AF very much these days. There's a lot of "old schoolers" who fell into this trap, only to see their stuff relisted for double price few months later.

• Like 1

I know. really complicated stuff. Fortunately, my buyer didn't rip me off it seems, but seems really happy with it. Whether we'll see it again for more money, time will tell. I wish things were different, but it is what it is. I did pack it with 30% weight added in protection (so no damage through the trip from Europe to the US) and took many pictures before shipping. You could claim something is not in there, but as everything was effectively sealed, that's hard to keep going...

I guess it's all about the money, not about the happiness of using old rare computers for some..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Struisvogel said:

I guess it's all about the money, not about the happiness of using old rare computers for some..

For many it would seem. We're seeing more and more 1st time posters immediately asking the community what their stuff is worth. Then never hear from them again.

Hmm, for me it really was about passing it on to a new enthousiast, in stead of some random trader who doesn't really care. And Atariage isn't really new for me (I think I first registered 5 years ago, but I lost the account). So I thought... :) And where else would I be able to find new released Atari products right? :)