IGNORED

Best 3rd Party Dreamcast Controller?

Cobra Kai

I really, really dislike the OEM Dreamcast controller. I have an 'Astropad', however the analog stick isn't working good, but I got that used. I'm not sure if I want to spring for a new Astropad, it is much more comfortable than the stock DC pad, but it's almost too big. I wanted to check with you guys, there seems to be a handful of options for DC controllers out there.

I want to reiterate just how much I dislike the stock controller, so if there's a 3rd party controller that is similar in physical design, I will not be interested. 

I think an Xbox controller (like the original Xbox redesigned) with an adapter if one exists would be better than a Playstation controller as it pretty much was an updated Dreamcast controller. But it would need to have a way to plug in the memory cards, which I assume the PS adapter has one as it would be impossible to save games otherwise. But I guess you could just plug in an original controller and use that to save?

• Like 1

You might want to consider a Brook adapter. Here's one that converts PS3/PS4 to Dreamcast: https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-ps3-ps4-to-dreamcast-pc-super-converter. Shop around on their site and they probably offer converters from other platforms as well. A bunch of Dreamcast games allow you to save to the second controller, so you may be able to get around the memory card issue by leaving the original controller plugged into the Player 2 port while you use the converter in the Player 1 slot.

As far as third-party Dreamcast controller replacements from back in the day, the handful of options available in North America were cheap, cartoony looking monstrosities. The only one worth checking out is the Ascii Pad FT released in Japan, but it's primarily for 2D stuff (no analog stick) and it's expensive.

You should also be able to find Saturn to Dreamcast and PS1 to Dreamcast converters. Personally, I never had much luck with these, but I have heard a lot from others that have. Maybe I just had a bad batch. I think it's probably best to stick with a modern Brook adapter as they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

• Thanks 1

HIGHLY recommend Brook adapters, with the understanding that they're pricey for what they do. I have one for PS1/PS2 connected to a DS4 and it's great. Quickly connects to the controller, easy to pair, and it doesn't seem to randomly drop connections. I could buy a half dozen controllers and adapters if I had the money and connect them to everything. The downside with that one is that the DS4 doesn't have analogue pressure-sensitive buttons like a DS2 on PlayStation 2 did. Very few games even used that functionality so it's no biggie to me. 

The only downside to the Dreamcast adapter looks like that it can't deal with VMUs. Like Austin said, just use controller port 4 for a crappy third-party controller with a pair of VMUs. I already do that with my Dreamcast and the Saturn adapter (which unfortunately does not work with RetroBit's controllers for some reason)

• Like 1

First, I appreciate all the suggestions. I was looking to purchase the NYKO Dream Master mentioned above, but I couldn't find one brand new. Money's been kinda tight, so I bought the Mad Catz Dream Pad instead, one because it is brand new, and also it's cheaper than the PS2/DC converter. It doesn't get bad reviews except for fighting games, which I don't play on DC, and I have an actual joystick for that anyway.