IGNORED

Discuss Find a way to my heart by White Lynx Productions

A small explanation of the "bad" graphics in the game. Nop90 and I started to discuss about a possibility to create a Watch&Game style competition for the Lynx. This game was my entry to that competition. Note that there is no moving graphics on the screen at all. All elements are binary LCD elements (on/off). So this was intended to be a Watch&Game simulation.

Necrosia then changed the rules completely and announced the Atari Lynx 30-year anniversary contest. As my entry was already written I just added a colorful intro screen and submitted it. Sorry about the "bad" graphics.

As the game did not have a name nop90 suggested "Find a way to my heart" as a tribute to the Phil Collins tune with the same name. I thought the idea was great and coded a tune that resembles the tune we were talking about. In the feedback people don't seem to like that style of music - too bad...

Silly me. I had compiled it with 2048 byte blocks. Does this version work better? It is 512 byte blocks (128k game)

findaway.lnx

If you want to create your own rom the source is also available at

https://bitbucket.org/karri/findaway

To create this on a RaspberryPi, Ubuntu or Cygwin in Windows:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/karri/findaway.git
cd findaway
make

If you want to have a specific blocksize, edit cart/lynx.cfg and change __BLOCKSIZE__ to 512, 1024 or 2048

make clean
make

And there is even a manual!

FindAWayToMyHeartManual.odt

On 9/2/2019 at 1:50 PM, karri said:

A small explanation of the "bad" graphics in the game. Nop90 and I started to discuss about a possibility to create a Watch&Game style competition for the Lynx. This game was my entry to that competition. Note that there is no moving graphics on the screen at all. All elements are binary LCD elements (on/off). So this was intended to be a Watch&Game simulation.

Necrosia then changed the rules completely and announced the Atari Lynx 30-year anniversary contest. As my entry was already written I just added a colorful intro screen and submitted it. Sorry about the "bad" graphics.

As the game did not have a name nop90 suggested "Find a way to my heart" as a tribute to the Phil Collins tune with the same name. I thought the idea was great and coded a tune that resembles the tune we were talking about. In the feedback people don't seem to like that style of music - too bad...

Karri don't be too hard with yourself, with a big project like On Duty it's normal that a second entry can't be too complex. 

I like the game and its essential look. Probably I'll play it (and my game 4ttude) on a real lynx more than the other games in the competition. 

Edited by Nop90
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the thumbs up.

It was a fun game to write and I did like the idea of a Watch&Game competition. Perhaps the implementation could have been even more old Watch&Game like by using dice dots instead of numbers.

Anyway... The code was written long before the announcement dead line so it did not affect On Duty too much.

Today my problem is that I joined a musical and all my evenings are booked with singing and dancing rehearsals so there is no time for the Lynx :(

Hopefully I have the energy to finish the cart release during the long flight to Portland in October. The competition release does not have the correct music and it lacks the twists I planned. So it is just a straight game, lacking humor. The real cart game will be so much more ;) 

In March 2020 when the musical is over I hope to get some time for the Lynx again.

RH_poster(1).thumb.jpg.9fff582d5e41930fc985e62f0c0b0efc.jpg

The AgaCart does 256Kb or 512Kb ROMs. I had successfully played the 384Kb On Duty ROM on the AgaCart by removing the header and padding it out.

But thanks for the trimmed down ROM. It should at least load twice as fast now. ;-) 

Edited by KevinMos3

There will be a new On Duty release during the week-end. In the final fights there was a chance of running out of stack when I streamed out samples at the same time with SFX and BG music. So (un)fortunately I have to leave out the screams when you get hit.

If time allows I may also introduce better background music. The real final version will be 256k. There was just tons of extra levels lurking on the rom but as these levels are not part of the game I will throw them out.

50 minutes ago, enthusi said:

A moody simple game. Would have benefited from more polish/extension but this is a quick compo after all. Great work!

That is true. But I will not change it. There is a history behind this spartan concept. So it will remain a game with non-moving elements. Thanks for the thumbs up :)

This game could easily have qualified for a hi-colour display as the edges are static all the time and the tiles have no surprices in number of colours.