IGNORED

Discuss Sky Raider by Team Jum

I was really pleasantly surprised once I realized what this game was.  (It wasn't obvious to me from the screenshot).  It's a nice upgrade of a great classic.

Unfortunately, it crashes soon into the game on my Lynx II when playing with the Saint SD cart.  I've tried several times.  First, it crashed on the title screen. For the next attempt, I quickly skipped past the title screen and got a little gameplay in before it crashed.  I haven't been able to get it to work on my AgaCart.

• Like 1

Hi Karri, actually I just now found the cause of the crashes (after a LOT of SD card swapping :{ ?

If I disable collisions, the game does not crash. I'm using the default TGI config with 2 draw buffers and collision buffer like so:

// tgi locations of collision buffer (using -C lynx-coll.cfg in linker)
#define COLLBUF 0xA058
#define BUFFER1 0xC038
#define BUFFER2 0xE018

So possibly the stack is getting overwritten (underwritten?)? IDK, maybe something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive River Raid port for the Lynx! Was it a deliberate design decision to not move the shots with the player? (On both the VCS and Atari 8-bit, fired "missiles"/shots will move with the plane but here they don't, requiring different tactics.

I found dying rather "unremarkable" in a literal sense. It takes a bit of time to notice you have lost a plane as there is no perceptible noise, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

On 9/18/2019 at 2:30 PM, slx said:

Impressive River Raid port for the Lynx!..

I found dying rather "unremarkable" in a literal sense...

I agree.  Very nice game.  The plane slowly crashing didn't bother me (although I agree that at first it feels like maybe you got away without dying until you see the plane slowly fall back), but the thing that stuck out to me was how the bridges blowing up doesn't give any special boom.  It goes away like any other object.  I think it would be a much more satisfying feeling (with more of a feeling of progressing) if the bridges had a big explosion and maybe a screen shake or flash.  Otherwise, I don't have any criticisms.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...