IGNORED

Discuss YNXA by Yastuna

This turned out to be a much more solid and complex game than I expected.  The name doesn't really hint at the kind of game it is and doesn't really do it justice (how do you pronounce it? What does it stand for?).  The rooms are very well thought out and the game is impressively large.  It's hard to believe it was done in a time-constrained competition.  I got quite a ways into it and eventually had to stop playing due to time.  It's not a game I think I could ever finish quickly... I'll have to take another run at it when I get the time.

Edited by KevinMos3

Thanks for the feedback.

The name is a mix between Lynx and Inca. It was a tentative codename and I kept it.

Or if you want, you can call it Yastuna Next eXtraordinary Adventure :D.

Yes, the game takes time to be completed, I guess for someone that do not have any clues (and there are no solution on Youtube right now) and wants to make 100%, it will take some hours (It tooks me more than 1 hour for final testing, and I am the one who designed the levels, and played each of them probably 20 times or more during level design tuning). So a solution with eeprom savegame feature (Bernd's Flashcard, emulator with save feature, real PCB with eeprom...) is needed. 

It was intended to be a kind of Metroidvania, with 3 characters, special powers for each of them, hidden zones that can be accessed only when you unlock powers. The first part of the game (= the prologue) is kind of built this way. It could have been the release for the contest, but I also addedd the main part.

But it is really hard to design, so in the main part, it is more a puzzle-platformer, with some gameplay twist.

Edited by Fadest

The graphics are polished and beautiful and I like the story telling at the beginning. Maybe a more beautiful title screen would be welcome (and FX sounds)

At first the game sounds a bit strange and the challenge a bit easy but no man: it was just the prologue and then serious things are beginning with countless levels progressing in difficulty up to wily traps :)

Thank you for sharing this!

I used one of Karri's PCBs with an odd mixed board from Igor to get this:

IMG_0910_sm.thumb.jpg.2605c99e75fed3d3e97ccad2c6a686e0.jpg

And maybe best of all, the save game feature works great! 

I was going to put it on a standard gray shell, but I really liked how it looked with the label I threw together, and it was good to put this rejected shell to use... rejected no more.  ☺️

I'm not proud of these labels, as I just threw them together using the assets of the game, but I am happy with how it looks on that shell.  Here is the one I used with 2 different fonts.  This game really deserves legit artwork from a good label artist.  :)

590168500_YNXAlabel1300dpi.thumb.png.a44d3a63d62d9c789f0d3c331d1dca35.png  1929559826_YNXAlabel2300dpi.thumb.png.e6270eb7281266eb673f23bb7a9571c4.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 5

I didn't care for the font I put on the previous one.  I just used one I already had installed (modified Coleco font and bauhaus) instead of looking for a fitting font.  I changed the font after searching for some Incan examples.  It's still a "thrown together" label though, doesn't really do the game justice.

409895683_YNXAlabel3300dpi.thumb.png.0aa0aa9fd4e515745d787f926ec16c5e.png

Edited by KevinMos3

Having been a beta-tester of Inxa (and also a proud member of the French Lynx Connection :D) I'm probably a bit bias, but this is definitely one of my favourite game of the contest. Polished, looks great, control are almost perfect, and I love this kind of platform/puzzle games. it only misses a great artwork on the title screen.

(Great job Kevin with the golden cart, looks great and the label is really well done!)

I have now played this during two evenings. The game is really nice to play and the way your new talents are given is great. I still fail to be in control as it is hard to find the place where to change the shape. Great game. This is a game I intend to finish.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fadest said:

Thanks you very Kevin.

I really love the "golden" cartridge, got by a mix of blue and orange filament in 3D printing if I understood worrectly.

@necrocia, you should experiment again and make more of them :D, I would love to make a physical release of Ynxa with this kind of cartridge.

That's actually a "junk" shell that I sent to Kevin as an extra. I've printed it using rainbow filament, but the colour doesn't change quickly enough to make the effect work well. I can get gold filament, either the standard or a metallic look. The metallic look will increase the price of the shell for two reasons - it's about 50% more expensive for the material and it causes a lot of wear and tear on the extruder nozzle (it has real metal infused in the plastic).

I'll see about ordering the non-metallic gold and will share the results. I've also told Kevin already, but I'm planning to buy a new 3D printer that can do colour blending, then we can have some real crazy designs.

• Like 2

I stole a little time this morning to play though another level.  I've now gotten through all but the "Path of Humility" which is next to try.  However, I haven't been able to figure out how to get to the gem on the "Path of Discovery" (I think is the level).  Figured that one out.  ;-)

I really like this game.  I do have a couple of critiques though:

1) It would benefit from some variety in the music.

2) It would be nice to have a different color palette for each level. I have no idea how much work that would be or how much extra space it would take up, but it could help differentiate in your mind which level you're playing/played and give a bit more variety.

3) It needs a pretty title screen to match the nice in-game graphics.  ;-)

Anyway, I do love this game!

Edited by KevinMos3

This turned out to be a nice surprise!

It would benefit from actual jump physics (slow at the turning point) and possibly more variation in the graphics level design (the story/puzzles vary nicely in my opinion).

The gfx are a bit small on real hardware in my opinion but that might just depend on what you are used to and how good your sight is :)

Kevin, does it means that you completed the game ?

@all, thanks you for the kind words and constructive remarks.

You're right about graphics, and the Inca game asset has so many other tiles (and also, every tiles are available in 3 flavors), but I was really short on memory so I had to remove them. The same for some sprites in characters (leaf's jumping for example).

I guess I should load tileset from ROM instead of linking it to the game, so I could use more than one. I'm adding this to my todo list (but not for this WE as I have litterally no time for another submission between last weed and sunday).

About the title screen, I wanted to keep a kind of mystery to the game (the same with the name), so I kept the light title screen (and the name). But It seems it was not a good idea as many people made their mind about the game, and thought is was something completely different.

I really need an artwork for future release. I also need another music (and SFX) because as said before, this is just a sample sent to me by Romu for another project.

Still need to decide about a physical release or just use the Yastuna route (the situation is different now, thanks to Karri's flashcard, so I can manage my own production quite easily).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fadest said:

Kevin, does it means that you completed the game ?

I have now!  :)

Although, I was missing some gems.  I didn't remember seeing any that I didn't get, so instead of beating myself up repeating all the levels to find them, I chose to exit, see what was in store, and save the 100% for a later time.  :lol:

I like what you did with the ending.  There is one typo on the text screen before the exit, but that was a really cool idea with what you did on the way out.

Cool game! It kind of sucks you in and keeps you interested. Very playable/fun. Nice gfx and music.

Got stuck after a while, but definately going to play the final version.

Like someone else above, I also noticed the (lack of) jump physics/curve, and the music can get repetitive after a while.

On 9/4/2019 at 4:14 AM, KevinMos3 said:

I used one of Karri's PCBs with an odd mixed board from Igor to get this:

IMG_0910_sm.thumb.jpg.2605c99e75fed3d3e97ccad2c6a686e0.jpg

Beautiful card for a beautiful game!

Hope this game will be released on cart with memory as we can save our progression to avoid having to start again each time.

For your information, there will not be a new version for the contest. The one submitted last week will be the one for the jury.

But I take all your feedback in order to polish the game and release a better version later ! Thanks again to everyone who gives feedback in this topic. It is very hard to create and design this kind of game alone, so I'm really plesaed that it get some positive feedback. And a big thanks for Felyx and Lordkraken for betatesting before the release.

Kevin, some of the path are a bit different (special rules). I think of Path of Compassion, Wisdom, Reason, Nihilism. How do you think they are ? Nice variation of the main game or less interesting than normal ones ?

About gems, here is a little reminder (not a full solution yet, you will have to explore by yourself), in spoiler for those who wants to know more :

Spoiler

At the end of the prologue, if you find 100% of gems, you should have :

12 green, 12 red and 12 blue

Hidde gem in the prologue hub :

After going to the main hub, if you come back to the prologue hub, you will find a green gem (it is quite obvious where she is hidden)

Path of Humility

- 3 levels, with 3 blue gems in latest level of the path

- Note there is an hidden level in this path, with 1 green, 1 red and 1 blue gem (the hidden level can be found in second level of path of Humility)             
Path of Serenity

- 3 levels, with 2 green gems, 1 red gem and 2 blue gems in latest level of the path           
Path of Discovery

- 3 levels with :

- 1 blue gem in second level

- 2 red gems in third level of the path                        
Path of Wisdom                

- 3 levels with 2 red gems in latest level of the path

- SPOILER IN SPOILER :note that the first and second level have random exit, so you can be lucky or find the trick
Path of Fullfillment                

- 3 levels with 2 green gems in latest level of the path
Path of Nihilism    

- 2 levels with 1 red gem and 1 blue gem in latest level of the path  
Path of Compassion  

- 2 levels with 1 green gem in latest level of the path               
Path of Reason     

- 3 levels with 1 green gem and 1 red gem in latest level of the path