IGNORED

The IDE+2 and APT/FDISK2 Compatibility?

Larry

I've used the APT for a couple of years now, but I seem to recall that at some point, using APT was mandatory.  It was either with Rev E or something like bios 1.5?  A related question -- will the old FDISK2 work with E and F, assuming an older bios can be used?

Thanks,

Larry

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

will the old FDISK2 work with E and F, assuming an older bios can be used?

I've just tried FDISK2 from the old KMK/JZ toolkit disk and it won't recognize the IDE Plus 2.0 when using a recent revision BIOS. It would follow that the newer BIOS probably doesn't recognise the older partition table format.

My question is: what can be gained by using an older BIOS, older partitioning tools, and the deprecated partition table format?

If you want to use the old partition format, you would have to downgrade to bios 1.2 or lower iirc. I am not sure whether these older bios versions do support the rev. E and up IDE+

But like FJC said... why would you want it? In my opinion apt should be supported by myide (mybios) too, but unfortunately it is not compatible.

APT is a very good and complete standard. And with all the choices in a8 land I wished all devices followed the same standard. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marius said:

And with all the choices in a8 land I wished all devices followed the same standard

We are about as close to total compatibility as we can be. Nearly all the major players (SIDE, SIDE2, U1MB/SIDE, U1MB/AVG, Incognito, 1088XEL/XLD) are totally HDD media compatible now. The only outliers I know of which don't support APT are MYIDE/MYBIOS (as you point out) and older devices such as MIO and BlackBox. Sure there are others but with one conspicuous aforementioned exception, I think every new device which provided PBI mass storage during the last decade supports the exact same partitioning format. :)

Don't forget that APT FDISK does NOT require SpartaDOS X, just in case that's a perceived motivation to downgrade.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

Well, some progress with EclaireXL and IDE+2.  I received a new Rev F from Simius this week.  Works perfectly with my Antonia-600XL. And it also works with ECXL!  Does not work with Rev D.  E (that foft now has) did not work here with ECXL.  It behaved just like the D -- DOA.  Maybe the timing is just enough different that it works on Mark's ECXL?  

Can anyone tell me offhand what the "SWAP" button refers to on Revs. E and F?  Also, D has a rotary selector switch that chooses the PBI#.  E&F have no way to change the PBI?

-Larry 

54 minutes ago, Larry said:

Can anyone tell me offhand what the "SWAP" button refers to on Revs. E and F

It's supposed to 'swap' or rotate mounted disk image assignments, although I'm not sure how the implementation works in practice (largely owing to the lack of documentation). @Marius may be able to tell us.

55 minutes ago, Larry said:

Also, D has a rotary selector switch that chooses the PBI#.  E&F have no way to change the PBI?

You can change the PBI ID on the earlier boards by moving the 0 ohm resistor which shorts one of eight jumpers on the board. You'll see 2 x 8 gold pads, with a resistor joining one pair.

• Like 1

I do not own rev. E. Only rev. C and D (my favourite). 

The SWAP button on rev. D (IIRC it is not on rev. C) indeed swaps, or better rotates/cycles through all the mounted ATR's. 

You can (using a tool, ATRM) mount under SDX ATR's to misc Dx: ... (the ATR files needs to be stored ON a SpartaDos Formatted partition). 

So if you have the Summer Games (which is a game that is a TWO ATR-files game (an A, and B side)). You mount SUMGAM_A.ATR to D1: and SUMGAM_B.ATR to D2: ... during the game pressing the SWAP button will swap D1: and D2: (in case the game asks you to flip disk)

I guess this has same purpose on other revisions of IDE+ 

Important is to remember that the ATR files needs to be ON a spartados partition. In my case I have a 32MB apt partition loaded with all kind of ATR's (from TURBOBAS.ATR, DOS25.ATR to GOONIES.ATR etc.)

• Like 1