IGNORED

Heads up - Parts for DIY SDrive-MAX cheap!

a8isa1

Four or so weeks ago I picked up an UNO R3 board + 2 LCD touch screens for $11.99 USD from banggood.com.  Yesterday I noticed the same bundle is only $9.99 USD with free shipping (if China Direct is selected in your shopping cart).

Last week I received the parts and cobbled together Sdrive-MAX.   I had been using classic SDrives 10-11 years now but I needed a replacement for the one made by A8Maestro.  I never made a case for it and now it's damaged almost beyond repair. The parts mentioned above were priced too low to pass up.

Unfortunately one of the screens was damaged. (banggood.com is sending me a replacement).  The other screen, the smaller 2.4" one works fine.  It's an ILI9338 based board but it works with the ILI9329 driver. I'm not sure what the other screen is.  It seemed to work (from the little I could see on the broken screen) with the ILI9340 driver. With the ILI9341 drive the screen was mirrored (left to right).

Anyway, the $9.99 is a promotional price ending September 13.  I don't know if it reverts to the $11.99 price after that.

-SteveS

p.s. I am not affiliated with banggood.com in any way.

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You got lucky :) my mcufriend ili9338 screen from Amazon never worked. The screen would remain white while booting the uno. But it's still a great deal.

I eventually ordered from aliexpress where I could just search for the part numbers. I had a hard time finding compatible screens at a reasonable price. Maybe they are getting more rare with newer chipsets coming out?

Envoyé de mon EML-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Lots of people have lots of problems with them, bad enough I single them out as a screen to avoid in the tutorial.

Reminds me I must update to included the now supported screen types!

Agreed, I bought a Mcufriend when I built my Sdrive, never managed to get it working and bought a different one that had driver support.

I did play around with the Mcufriend screen to see if I could modify a driver to make it useable, but soon found out that although possible

would be very difficult, basically the screen coords output left is right and top is bottom, not given up, when I have time will see if I can

still make it work with SDrive

On 9/3/2019 at 11:57 AM, TGB1718 said:

Agreed, I bought a Mcufriend when I built my Sdrive, never managed to get it working and bought a different one that had driver support.

I did play around with the Mcufriend screen to see if I could modify a driver to make it useable, but soon found out that although possible

would be very difficult, basically the screen coords output left is right and top is bottom, not given up, when I have time will see if I can

still make it work with SDrive

Waiting for my replacements (which I learned will be a month away) I played around some more as well.

The display that works 100% isn't the ILI9338.  I got the two screens mixed up from my banggood bundle. Sorry. The working board is labeled, "www.mcufriend.com" and something else but hasn't any markings as to which chip is used for it.  However, it works perfectly with the ILI9329 driver.

The damaged LCD  is the ILI9338 one.  It is labeled such.  Even with the damage it has about 50% of the screen visibly working and the touch feature 100%.  With the ILI9329 driver the colors look right but the text is mirrored left to right.  With the ILI9340 driver the text is not mirrored but the colors are all wrong.  With the ILI9341 driver the text is mirrored (again left to right) AND the colors are all wrong.

@TGB1718

Don't worry about text being upside down.  The firmware has  feature which will flip the output for you.  You'll find it in the Cfg screen.  Press 'Rotate' and 'Save'.  SDrive-MAX will run the calibration routine again afterwards the screen will be upside down (or correct side up depending on your point of view)

@the SDrive-MAX programmer/maintainer (is it Kbr?  sorry my memory is terrible).  Is there an easy way to mirror left to right the text of the ILI9329 driver?  I think this is all that is needed to make a correct driver for the ILI9338 touch screen.

Regards

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

20 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

nope package deal they want the less than useful smaller screens gone!

I wondered about that. 

I liked the deal for the price alone.  I only knew one screen had the correct specifcations for SDrive-MAX. I considered the other one as a spare. Didn't actually need it and hoped I would not need it.  The ILI9338 one though broken proved to me it doesn't work perfectly with the current drivers for SDrive-MAX.  I believe this can easily be corrected, at least I hope it can. 

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

• 2 weeks later...

I received my replacement parts from banggood.com.  One of the screens of the original  shipment was damaged. This time all pieces are fine. Bundle is exactly the same as the original.   

The 2.4" screen works perfectly with the IL9329 driver for SDrive-MAX.  There are no markings to indicate the chip used for the LCD.

The 2.8" screen displays but there are the following issues with SDrive-MAX.

Using the ILI9329 driver the display is upside down and mirrored backwards left to right (see below).

ILI9338_using_ILI9329_driver.thumb.jpg.7499369420a65a98a6d472f2c6e1415b.jpg

With the ILI9340 driver SDrive-MAX becomes usable but the colors are wrong (below).

ILI9338_using_ILI9340_driver.thumb.jpg.8e8f17eb7e151f3a64c1e6643a3f35c3.jpg

For the ILI9341 driver things are worse.  The driver uploads OK but the touch function is not working at the calibration screen.

I hope there is an simple fix for the ILI9338 display.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

8 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

For an extra $1 I got a screen and UNO that just works. It does seem like a lot of hassle for $1

cool!

2 screens work for me.  1 not yet.  1 damaged.  2 arduinos working.   

Kudos to banggood.com for replacing the whole lot and not just the screen that was damaged in shipping.

I feel my $12.23 USD was well spent

p.s. I do not work for nor am I affiliated with banggood.com .

p.p.s. Seems banggood's promotion price of $9.99 ended. Price is now $10.99+$0.23 insurance with free shipping if drop shipped from China.

Edited by a8isa1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, Mr Robot said:

For an extra $1 I got a screen and UNO that just works. It does seem like a lot of hassle for $1

Are you refering to Aliexpress? 

"That's a pretty good promo!

I got mine for $7.60 a screen and $3.50 for an UNO from AliExpress so I think $11 is about the best you can expect without special offers."

Do you have the link? I am overwhelmed with the options...  ;-)

Yes sure, I've ordered more than once from both these people, everything has worked fine, I had five screens arrive on Monday and five UNO's just cleared customs.

UNO (Currently $3.40, Free Shipping)

Screen (Currently $8.00, Free shipping)

The screen has gone up 0.40 since I ordered last (about 2 weeks ago)

• Like 2

I did a quick patch to fix the colors of the ILI9340 driver to work with my ILI9338 screen.  I don't know if this is all that is necessary but it seems to work.

sdrive-max_with_ili9338.thumb.jpg.4a9a980fe6673ced2493211cefb215d1.jpg

Here is the line I changed in the source, display.c, to alter the generation of the ILI9340 files.  I simply substituted the new .hex files as the ILI9338 driver.

#ifdef ILI9329
    delay_ms(200);
//    TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_RESET);
//    TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DISPLAY_INVERSION_ON);
//    TFT_write(0x00);
#elif ILI9340
    delay_ms(200);
    TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DISPLAY_INVERSION_ON);      <========== this line
//    TFT_write(0x00);
#else
    delay_ms(60);
#endif

to 

TFT_write_cmd(ILI9341_DISPLAY_INVERSION_OFF);

I am sorry but I don't know how to alter the code to generate an additional driver in project.  I never learned the C language.

I didn't post the driver in case I've done something wrong or inappropriate.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 3