IGNORED

CMC I/O Module for 800's - Info wanted

KLund1

I guess Curt says they are rare. Only a few made. 

I guess I have most of them. My source got them from an Atari engineer. If I recall, my source said his name was Dave. Maybe the same person Curt got his stuff from, maybe not. Maybe he 'found more in the back'. I got the PBI test board, and the 3-Bit 80 column card, and some 32K ram cards from him too.

The more I dig into my sources stuff the more goodies I find. He has a lot of fruit, leather tanning, calculator maker, and some huge mainframe companies' junk I have to get past, though ;)

DSCN3038.JPG

• Like 6

Yes it is a serial and parallel card, looks for the disks as well I think were 2. Enough were made to make it to the East. Not a crazy number of people had them though.

It should be 1 serial port and 2 parallel ports... the ribbon cables were special in that is split the connector into 2 parallel ports... shouldn't be to hard to recreate.

your board is missing a number of chips (empty sockets), should be easy enough to find some pictures or take some and post them so you can place them with the appropriate ones :)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KLund1 said:

All three have the same missing chips. I can make out some of the chip numbers from the flyer on Curt's site. but not all.

If anyone has more info about what should go into the sockets please share.

Can only guess... it look likes that only the parallel port parts are installed. The PIA on the card will be mirrored (it´s register) to the I/O area (maybe $D7xx or so), the 74LS245 is used for latching the 8 databits..

Curt´s pictures shows the MC1489 voltage converter for serial communications. The 24 pin chip is a MC6850 UART (for serial). Some more logic ships for address multiplexing. The only strange thing is the crystal. By default, twisted frequencies like 1.8432 MHz are used to get "clean" baudrates like 19200, 9600 bps... on the card is a 4 MHz crystall installed, with clock dividers (74LS74).

More Re-Engineering needed ?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Back to these cards again. I used the archive.org wayback machine to get to Curts site and pulled the flyer for this card hoping to be able to read the chip numbers. But the resolution seems low. I cant read the chip numbers I need to get to populate these cards. I can only read the 3 74LS151's at A5,6,7 positions. Can any of you out these see the numbers on the other chips I need?

From above I see I need a MC6850 UART; a 74LS245 but can't see its position on the board; a MC1489 but can't see its position on the board;

Thanks

CMC-Parallel-Serial-Card.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KLund1 said:

Back to these cards again

Good-old Slot-3 strikes again... No 10i90, no PBI, etc. 8-)

Only a small modification on (internal) shield-plate, attached underneath top cover (completely invisible), and voila! Easy-peasy and extraction of card-ribbons... 

Very nice, and super rare, indeed!!

(FYI, scan is really hard to read...)