IGNORED

BBS software for a test.

Bikerbob

12 minutes ago, Tillek said:

What time did you try?  Others have been on.  Wonder if the busy message isn’t working.

Just now.

I don't think the BBS is busy because when it was sitting there, I tried logging in with another instance of Syncterm and got a busy message right away.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

If you get a chance, please try again.

I was at "lunch" right about then (and when I replied).  When I was "working" the BBS seemed fine but when I got back it was waiting on a file selector box (as if I hit 0 on the console to execute a program).

My keyboard cable had the plastic part that holds it in place broken at both ends (it's been coming off all weekend).  So I'm wondering if that is what did it.  I put the "replacement" I bought from TBA on just now so I'm hoping that's all it was.

Just now, Tillek said:

If you get a chance, please try again.

I was at "lunch" right about then (and when I replied).  When I was "working" the BBS seemed fine but when I got back it was waiting on a file selector box (as if I hit 0 on the console to execute a program).

My keyboard cable had the plastic part that holds it in place broken at both ends (it's been coming off all weekend).  So I'm wondering if that is what did it.  I put the "replacement" I bought from TBA on just now so I'm hoping that's all it was.

Especially since I've had 8 callers and 10 posts since my last call, so I'm hoping that was just an unlikely quirk.

21 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

What if I want to connect from real hardware .. will it work? Not much point in a wimodem232 if I have to connect with a specific non traditional connection???

Which real hardware?  (Define non-traditional?  We're BBSing over Telnet, it's all "non-traditional" depending on how you look at it).

But what I mean is, what are you using?  For an MSS device, just add T to the port (bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983T) and it opens it as a raw TCP connection (yeah, the T is for TCP not Telnet).

SyncTerm is easy to set as raw.

The UDS line, I don't think there is a way to specify it, but it might work.

There are actually a lot of solutions that actually don't do telnet, they do it as a raw TCP but they don't exactly specify it.

The WiModem232 can do Telnet, I can set it that way, but unlike the MSS I can't choose both at the same time, so if it turns out the majority need the Telnet, I can go that way... but the Atari community seems to lean towards raw TCP.  I could always go back to the MSS, but honestly, unless I'm going to cause a major issue for a lot of my userbase (like 2 out of 6? ;) ) I'd rather have the "busy" message and the ability to do file transfers.

But let's see what's what.  Let me know what you're trying to use and what experience you have.  I'd rather find a way to make everyone happy.

/s

As soon as I changed my SFHQ settings from telnet to RAW,

everything started working fine here. (in SyncTerm)

Until then, it was super odd - I had to keep hitting <enter> before

the BBS would return -1- character at a time.

Edited by DarkLord
Clarification...

13 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

As soon as I changed my SFHQ settings from telnet to RAW,

everything started working fine here. (in SyncTerm)

Until then, it was super odd - I had to keep hitting <enter> before

the BBS would return -1- character at a time.

Had that same issue eons ago when I had experimented with the Commodore BBS server (again, so I could have a busy message).

Wondering how the file transfer works.

/s

Well I had basically the same issue as Darklord but I could login and it was duplicating characters.. but only my own input. 

I was calling on Hyperterm on a PC laptop with a ESP8266 wifi modem   I did an ATDT.. so maybe if I just called with ATD.. then it would not force T telnet.. it would be better. no sure.

James

12 hours ago, Bikerbob said:

Well I had basically the same issue as Darklord but I could login and it was duplicating characters.. but only my own input. 

I was calling on Hyperterm on a PC laptop with a ESP8266 wifi modem   I did an ATDT.. so maybe if I just called with ATD.. then it would not force T telnet.. it would be better. no sure.

James

If that's how the firmware implements the dial command, yeah... probably want to leave that off and you should be set.

I saw there are two downloads.  Haven't checked the new messages yet (needed a break yesterday) so I'll be checking those... but if anyone has any experiences with that they'd like to share.  Might try some UL/DL tonight to test too.

I see that your version of DDST is much newer than mine.. would not mind getting it.. Though I can play it there too.. REALLY like that game.   So it would be cool for us to pool and get the latest ATARI doors games in a archive somewhere.

James

1 hour ago, Bikerbob said:

I see that your version of DDST is much newer than mine.. would not mind getting it.. Though I can play it there too.. REALLY like that game.   So it would be cool for us to pool and get the latest ATARI doors games in a archive somewhere.

James

Now that both BBS's are running pretty much as I intended them, the site is the current project.  Took awhile to get there, but it's number just got called.

• Like 1

Yep.  Though it's been slow. ;)

I have it running on an IDE2+, and RoboWar and Zenobia are both working now.  It's currently on a UDS-10 but I'll probably try the WIModem 232 again (I tried earlier but  had issues... might be RAW related though they were different).

As in... when typing a message?  There was an extra space on every line of the editor... so to save?  BACKSPACE before /s

Yeah... that wasn't going to fly.

When I say it's been slow, I don't mean it's running slow... just that it's not getting 20 callers a day and 20 messages and I can barely take it down to do work because someone is always calling like SFHQ has been lately.

That's just my way of saying "Thanks for showing the love everyone!!!!!"

Still remembering the days of going days or weeks or maybe even months between callers!

• Like 2

I downloaded 2 of 3 files from SFHQ's.

First 2 went absolutely fine, no problems.

The third file, at approx. 247k or so, was cancelled by

the BBS saying that I didn't have time to download it.

(I checked with my personal secretary - she said I had

plenty of time).  :)

It claimed it would take me 137 minutes to complete the

download...so I don't know what was up with that.

I also left you a message about it on SFHQ's...

I was on SFHQ.. using my wifi ESP2866 modem.

I was using RAW.. seemed to work ok. with HW FLOW on.

I tried to download a SCifi text file.. did not understand Zmodem.. maybe you cant use that for txt file.. timed out..

I went to download ANSIterm.. got about 50% through.. using Zmodem and errored out.. to the point where the only way for me to stop or disconnect was to unplug the modem.

Sorry.

James

So as to Darklord's issue (with the time because it thought he was on at 300 baud) that should be fixed.  It should "think" you're all connected at 19200 now.

As to BikerBob's issue..... Hmmm... 

Syncterm on the PC to the BBS.  45 seconds flawless transfer with ZModem.  I'll try later tonight on the Falcon and probably the 1200xl too.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, Tillek said:

So as to Darklord's issue (with the time because it thought he was on at 300 baud) that should be fixed.  It should "think" you're all connected at 19200 now.

As to BikerBob's issue..... Hmmm... 

Syncterm on the PC to the BBS.  45 seconds flawless transfer with ZModem.  I'll try later tonight on the Falcon and probably the 1200xl too.

I was not on Syncterm btw.. it was Hyperterm (windows xp) with my ESP2866 modem. 

James