IGNORED

Ynxa - a new platformer for the Lynx

Fadest

It's time to create this topic for Ynxa, my new game for the Atari Lynx.

It is by far the biggest game I have released on Lynx at this time.

It was made during the past 3 months, for the 30th birthday Programming Competition hosted by Atari Gamer.

You start as a powerless leaf, who can just move left and right, but you will soon gain new abilities and power : jump / double jump, ability to transform into fire and shoot ennemies or explode, into water and go in tunnels or flood to escape from pits.

At the end of the prologue, when you get all the power, you will have access to the main game, and more than 20 tricky levels, where you will have to use all the powers you got during the prologue.

This a game with exploration, puzzle, traps (die & retry style).

To give you an idea, here is the hub for the prologue, with 9 doors :

Level0.jpg.63ce05eeab3c769dd2057796d961e4f4.jpg

A level is in fact a grid of 3x3 lynx screens you have to explore.

And here is what you get on lynx screen :

InGzkt_Cqbr3_8Z0y0l3DHieoQpVqcZMC-kFDyjz

Just to show you what to expect in higher levels, here is the map of the level 20, the first of of the Path of Discovery :

Level20.jpg.0a794cdfe9a0ad9aef43126dd91304dd.jpg

Tip : you need to destroy the 2 wood boxes in order to access the exit door. To do so, you have to explore the level in order to approach the box with your fire avatar (the only one who can explode box).

I included in this post the latest version of the manual, you will find more information in it.

The game is best played on a device with save feature (Bernd's Flashcard, PCD with 128b eeprom or emulator with save feature) because you will probably not manage to end the game in a single session. And without save feature, you will have to restart from the beginning.

I really enjoyed every moment of coding and nearly every moment of level designing (well, in fact mostly every moment, or probably some of the moments :D). I hope you will also enjoy playing it.

This is also because the gaphics are really nice, I used freware Inca game assets from Kronbits and some free characters from Elthen collection (go check his works, there are many many more...).

Music is a placeholder given to me by Romu some month ago, so I hope final game will have a dedicated music, and sound effects.

Don't forget to also check the 10 (yes TEN) other games games sumitted for the contest, they are also great.

Albert and Atari Gamer have open a club on Atari Age to discuss about the game of the competition :

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/249-30th-birthday-programming-competition-games/

Ynxa manual.pdf

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 13

I spent quite a while on this the night it was released on the competition site.  I was very impressed with it's complexity, level design, and size.  It was WAY more than I was expecting with a name like YNXA.  I thought it would be another puzzle game, but was very pleasantly surprised and blown away.  I eventually had to quit playing and since I was using the Saint SD cart, I wasn't able to save, but I look forward to tackling this game later.  So well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

For people who managed to go to the end. How long do you think you spent on the game ?

And whant do you think of some levels, like Path of Wisdom or Nihilism (did you succed them by luck or did you find the tricks ?) or Path of Reason and its somewhat different geometry ? Do they fit well in the game or do you think it's too much or not the spirit of the game ?

• 1 year later...

Just to let you know that Ynxa (*) is not dead.

I just started working on new version, and this will include new levels.

Here is preliminary footage of the new prologue (music just as a placeholder, graphics from contest release, there may be changes on this) :

Atari Lynx - Leaf final adventures (Ynxa) - YouTube

As you can see, there will be also horizontal and vertical levels (there were only 1 of 2 of this kind in original game), and it takes a bit less than 3 minutes to get jump and double jump, with some puzzles, compared to the 30 seconds in contest release. 

(*) I know, this seems to be unpronounceable in english, so there will be a new name also, probably something like Aychannak (spirit in ancient maya or inca language :D)

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 5

In the new version, the game will start outside, so the game needs some new decors

snap04.png.938bdf3baeb77cbb571131017ed53f19.png

In fact, even inside the pyramid, there will be new (optional) backgrounds.

Right now, I have 6 of them. What do you think  ?

Please be honest, I quite like most of them, but I'm a bit double-biased as I am not a graphist and I made them myself :D

snap03.png.12eb7c5bb1b701da77372afdc91b3250.pngsnap05.png.d65f0b257b1b7467ecfad4f60db61507.png

snap06.png.fd534e04422872289d04484ea44163d3.pngsnap07.png.7b6576db7d0f921750b1b61c057dcb1c.png

snap09.png.a8bbeaf4ed57355a8cffdd6b05a04a21.pngsnap10.png.9eac7e425a3c7dad61c20701f0818972.png

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 2

Wonderful graphics and nice backgrounds. I would reconsider the third from the top. It seems to be noise and more difficult to distinguish real tiles from background. Second one seems out of place in terms of color. 

Keep up the good work. Greatню to see the progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thing of using the 2nd (mostly blue) one for The path of Humility/Humidity, where you have to use a lot power of Water. I wanted a kind of blue background, but yes, it a is bit different from others.

And yes, I may change colors from the colorful camaieu, but I wanted to make something that looks a bit like sud-americans poncho/carpet (I mean, seen by a french guy).

10 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow. This looks great! Love the tile work and the leaf's animation. Will the cart contain a save feature? Looking forward to this being sold on cart.?

The contest ROM already has a save feature (it saves automatically each time you use a door) if you flash a cart, or if you use it with LynxGD/ElCheapo I guess, as they emulate EEProm.

Just to be clear, I intend to keep maybe 2/3 of existing levels (mainly the second part of the game, with the "Path of..."), and add as many as I can (new prologue, add some intermediaite levels to the "Path of..." and other levels for the gem collection. So if you already played and completed the contest ROM, there will be new levels and familiar ones.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Fadest said:

Just to let you know that Ynxa (*) is not dead.

I just started working on new version, and this will include new levels.

Here is preliminary footage of the new prologue (music just as a placeholder, graphics from contest release, there may be changes on this) :

Atari Lynx - Leaf final adventures (Ynxa) - YouTube

As you can see, there will be also horizontal and vertical levels (there were only 1 of 2 of this kind in original game), and it takes a bit less than 3 minutes to get jump and double jump, with some puzzles, compared to the 30 seconds in contest release. 

(*) I know, this seems to be unpronounceable in english, so there will be a new name also, probably something like Aychannak (spirit in ancient maya or inca language :D)

I would say that Ynxa is no more difficult to pronounce in English than QiX...or Aychannak, for that matter. I vote to keep it the same. I assume it's pronounced INK-sah?

All of those backgrounds look great!  I actually like the third one the best, but I do see the point about colors not standing out.  Maybe use it in a place where your foreground is a different shade, or as a background on a text screen, or something?  It's too pretty to ditch altogether.

• Like 2

I agree with Alex, the 3rd background looks more like noise so I'd can that one. Also about the name, keep YNXA, it's nice and short and stands out! Not a fan of the new proposed name.

Great to see the game being expanded so much!

• Like 1