IGNORED

Ynxa - a new platformer for the Lynx

Fadest

You don't need to pronounce the name anyway; sorry to burst your bubble, Fadest, but it's not like someone will ask for the game at Gamestop or talk about it on The Late Show. ;)
When I see the name, I identify it kinda like a drawing and don't try to pronounce it in my head. And it stands out indeed (even though I may switch two letters if I was asked to write it down ?).

And your backdrops are very nice. I wish I was able do the same. ?

• Like 1

Do you know that I'm french ?

If someone says the name is not accurate for english people, I will change it in order to get a name not accurate for everybody :D

More seriously, it will be an editor choice. I think they like Ynxa, but if they want to change, there is no problem for me.

Oh, did I show you the new Fire sprites ?

F2.gif.dccb4d675cafc3c1af98aef1a0176ca9.gif

The flames are from Ansimuz torch asset.

The problem to keep them would be to have other characters in the same vein.

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

Oh, did I show you the new Fire sprites ?

The flames are from Ansimuz torch asset.

The problem to keep them would be to have other characters in the same vein.

Very nice flames.  :)

I would only suggest to have the movement of the flame going the opposite of the direction the player is facing, so the flames have that movement from front-to-rear of player rather than rear-to-front (so that when player moves forward, it's like the breeze is pushing the flame back).

Like this:

ynxa_edit.gif.93811855c9a495440d49e2193ae40d59.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice seeing more work done on this game Fadest! I agree with the other guys, the third background from the top seems a bit noisy, but it could very well work with lighter / cooler colors to give more contrast to the foreground tiles. Also I too LOVED the name Ynxa from the very beginning when you explained that it's a merge of Lynx and Inca, it's a perfect name for the game. :) :thumbsup:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

...I too LOVED the name Ynxa... when you explained that it's a merge of Lynx and Inca, it's a perfect name for the game. :) :thumbsup:

Exactly that.  ;)  Although it took explanation for me, but then I thought it was a pretty cool name.  Perhaps the explanation could go toward the beginning of the manual and/or noted on the back of the box.  :) 

Also, to keep ppl from doing what I did at first and just reading it as "Y" "N" "X" "A", perhaps any mentions of the name on web pages could re-enforce correct perception by only capitalizing the first letter (Ynxa), as you did on the title of the thread.

I don't mean to overstep with these comments, so if you've indulged my input/opinions this far, then thank you.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some news about the upcoming version of Ynxa.

The prologue has been redone from scratch.

The Path of which were the main part of previous release are still here, but now there will be 4 level per Path of instead of 3.

Just have a look on the new level 42 from Path of Discovery :

Evfbu2zXMAElXzQ?format=png&name=small

And how to play it for those who don't know the game, check the GIF on Twitter (spoiler inside of course, but level will probably differ a bit in final version)

https://twitter.com/YastunaL/status/1366805002312892417

But, once you go throuh all the abilities, now another game will start, you will have to go through a very big level (28 times bigger than a classic one, but don't worry, a switch will not have effect at the other side of the big level :D)

Evfc0BBWQAQOxLB?format=png&name=large

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Igor said:

Very cool! Was it easy to set up Tiled to export to a format you can use?

For lawnmower I exported the levels in csv format and converted them to binary files with a simple perl script. I'm curious to know if there are other ways that can be used

• Like 1

I export to CSV, copy/paste into an Excel template, add some infos by hand (gems, ennemies x/y + movements, doors and destination, swiches and cells impacted), and export to a binary file via a button and a macro.

This is semi automatisation, could be far better (at work, I would ask my developpers to make a less manual solution :D) but it fit my needs, and it is easier to adjust a level by changing values in Excel afterwards while debuuging. 

• Like 2

@Nop90 and @Fadest do you want to maybe write something about the process you use on the Lynx Dev wiki? Doesn't have to be magazine quality article, as long as it's possible to follow and reproduce your process I think it will be handy (ehehe)...

• Like 1

Here is what my Excel files look like (still level 42) :

image.thumb.png.1b87a5fd85ce95b2b8f023559f3eb87c.png

I just have to click on "Button 1" to generate the level (the name is in B29 cells, could use filename also)

I just save as binary cells B2:AE25 without any compression as they are quite small (720 bytes) but of course, this could/should be optimised (I waste space if I do not have gems, ennemies, doors or switches).

It is also easier to load, I load it in a 24x30 array and read it.

Once again, it is a balance between praticity (just adress the good cell) and optimisation (make a loading routine that decrypt a better optimised level and store infos).

Excel macro :

Sub Bouton1_Clic()
    ' open the file and write the records

Open "C:\Lynx\Yastuna0\Ynxa\LVL2\" + Range("B29").Value + ".ynx" For Binary As #1
    For Each c In Range("B2:AE25")
        Put #1, , CByte(c)
    Next c

Close #1

End Sub

I also have Excel files and macros for C37 descriptions files, but they are a bit more complex, and very specific.

Edit : so now, everyone should be able to hack Ynxa ROM :D

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Igor said:

@Nop90 and @Fadest do you want to maybe write something about the process you use on the Lynx Dev wiki? Doesn't have to be magazine quality article, as long as it's possible to follow and reproduce your process I think it will be handy (ehehe)...

Seems like I can make a "How to create an Ynxa level" because I already wrote pretty all the stuff (only constraints are missing).

But is there an interest for people as this is very specific to a single game ?

Ok, more than an article (or in conjunction with an article), would some people be interested in strip down version of Ynxa engine, with let say these features :

- customizable title/end/pause screens

- customizable ABC Music

- only 1 personnage : jump/double jump & fire abilities (customisable sprites)

- customizable ennemies (but still dumb, just like in Ynxa)

- customizable tileset

- customizable levels (let say a limit with less of 16 levels)

Packaged with all needed tools (sprpck, lynxdir, object engine, Excel templates, batch files) and tutorials ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1