IGNORED

Java mobile games to Atari lynx games (Theory)

Europatari

3 minutes ago, Europatari said:

exactly, and so is your poopy joke about crysis on atari lynx.

how would you imagine Java mercury Meltdown on Atari lynx?

Mercury meltdown is similar to marble madness. For a good experience you need analog controls to be able to tilt the board just slightly to let the mercury blob flow in the direction you want.

Last time I checked the Lynx joypad had only four on/off signals. I would not recommend porting mercury meltdown for the Lynx

13 minutes ago, karri said:

Mercury meltdown is similar to marble madness. For a good experience you need analog controls to be able to tilt the board just slightly to let the mercury blob flow in the direction you want.

Last time I checked the Lynx joypad had only four on/off signals. I would not recommend porting mercury meltdown for the Lynx

no, not the psp version, the java version.

that version contains digital movement

and if not this, then how would luxor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_(video_game) ) on atari lynx be

Edited by Europatari

22 minutes ago, Europatari said:

no, not the psp version, the java version.

that version contains digital movement

and if not this, then how would luxor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_(video_game) ) on atari lynx be

Diagonal moves are difficult to do on the Lynx and will frustrate the player.

Edited by 42bs

Since absolutely nobody is creating lynx games for a living, most if not all programmers here create game for:

- their love of the lynx

- the technical challenges

- creating the game of their childhood dream

So the easiest way to get your favourite game done is to actually program it yourself OR to provide a skill coders dont necessary have, for instance artistic or music skill :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Since absolutely nobody is creating lynx games for a living, most if not all programmers here create game for:

- their love of the lynx

- the technical challenges

- creating the game of their childhood dream

So the easiest way to get your favourite game done is to actually program it yourself OR to provide a skill coders dont necessary have, for instance artistic or music skill :)

first, there are some demos or games made last year

and second, i am an artist

2 hours ago, Europatari said:

we need a programmer, who has the spunk for this.

i am NOT a programmer, i gave only the idea, for a new lynx game

This would make a phenomenal popcorn thread in Atari Jaguar section of these forums :lol:

In all seriousness, though, how do you not realize that each of us here has been playing games for almost half a century across countless platforms?  And now with YT we can get a vertical slice of any un-played platform in about 15 minutes and see its best games in a desired genre.

Game ideas are like poop. They pop out of you effortlessly. To mold that substance into something enjoyable, that's where the real magic is.

TLDR:

49 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Well we're getting somewhere, why don't you create a new topic with some work sample or art for a game you'd like to see happening?

If he can do art, that's great.

But even a full game design can be very valuable, especially for a turn-based strategy : the complete list of all characters, their stats, special attacks, experience progression.

Then an excel sheet with breakdown of all stats per each game level - confirming how it's all well balanced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Learning a little bit of C fundamentals opens up the doors to a lot of old home computers and consoles too. There's definitely a learning curve but there's so many tools, libraries and tutorials now a days for most retro machines, that with determination it should be possible to get somewhere. the Heavy lifting (i.e. the low level coding) has already been done by programming gurus in the communities, and people are usually helpful on the forums too when someone need help. Just take one small step at a time. First try "hello world", after that try showing an image on screen. After that perhaps show a sprite and move it around the screen. Try playing a couple of notes etc.etc. soon you can put it all together in a game. It's sooo much fun when you improve and make progress.

@VladR Lol that unicorn video! :lol:

I just realised that what might be poop for others might be golden for some. I have very detailed, strict (and in my own mind informed) ideas about the graphics, the animation, the theme (i.e.pirates or steampunk etc.) and the music, but on game mechanics and game design it's quite blank really. So It'd still be really nice to have a good idea forum thread where people could share all kinds of game ideas. I've found some of them around the web, but usually they're just talk about all kinds of general stuff and very few documented game- or game mechanics- ideas. On the other hand, the well thought out game ideas I've read have usually had a million different features and stages that would need a hundred person team to complete in four years. :grin: Of course you can remove most of that stuff, but if someone would ask me I'd say the core idea should most of the times be quite simple.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, VladR said:

This would make a phenomenal popcorn thread in Atari Jaguar section of these forums :lol:

In all seriousness, though, how do you not realize that each of us here has been playing games for almost half a century across countless platforms?  And now with YT we can get a vertical slice of any un-played platform in about 15 minutes and see its best games in a desired genre.

Game ideas are like poop. They pop out of you effortlessly. To mold that substance into something enjoyable, that's where the real magic is.

TLDR:

And we are STILL waiting for your first Jaguar game - for years and counting :-D  

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

And we are STILL waiting for your first Jaguar game - for years and counting :-D  

Oh yeah, I know. There's at least dozen gentle-soul humanoids shaking in anticipation of the opportunity to tear it to pieces on YT  the moment it goes public :lol:

But, like I said million times, I can release my first Jaguar game only once in my life, so I take my time with it.

My second Jag game has the current dev estimate sitting at around 10 weeks.

To return to the OP, I googled a little and seem that there are very crazy people in the world.

A J2ME VM is not realistic on al lynx, the smallest implemetation I found is KME and takes at least 128KB of ram, so we have to wait LYNX III for this.

But there is an open source tool Java Grinder (https://github.com/mikeakohn/java_grinder ) that can convert java code to asm code for several CPU, including 6502.

The tool has been used to convert java code to the C64, but to do the same for lynx someone should write the code to map the tool API to the lynx HW (and belive me @Europatari it's unlikely to happen).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Europatari said:

here are also some graphics for luxor

You cannot just copy pictures from an original game. At least not with the original author's permission.

Unless of course it uses some kind of copy left license or is free.

The Lynx rez is 160x102, BTW.

Edited by 42bs
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1