IGNORED

Java mobile games to Atari lynx games (Theory)

Europatari

25 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Did someone say B&W? Got distracted with Vectrex this week...

(And we're in the process of colorizing them...)

Vectrex emulator for Lynx. This would be challenging to draw anti-aliased wireframes. 

Edited by 42bs

11 minutes ago, karri said:

So now we need to include a fragment shader on the cart?

Actually, I started with a project to connect an FPGA (ZYNQ 7010) to the Lynx.

My idea was to completely replace the Flash to the Lynx and emulate it with one connected to the ZYNQ. Plus the two Cortex-A9 could be used as programmable CoPro.

Too bad, the card port is so slow, so complete screens cannot be loaded.

But the Jaguar would be an ideal candidate for such a card ?

But if the co-processor outputs packed sprites? You could then have a geometry shader that scales the stuff and reduces complexity on the run. Texturing, rotation, scaling, clipping would be done by the co-processor and the Lynx would get just the changed sprites.

I could easily imagine a game with a co-processor that kicks out vehicle sprites in any orientation/scale/animation by demand. Or dance or fighter games that would kick out rendered character sprites.

9 minutes ago, 42bs said:

I made a quick test reading from card and storing away: ~5.9µs/byte

But there is no way of selecting a new block on the card. But this is just an SW issue.

This could still be used if instead of double buffering you keep the background in the 2nd buffer. Before drawing a sprite you erase the area by copying from the bg. The co-processor would serve sprites for drawing the bg buffer and serve sprites to the Lynx engine for drawing the characters.

Just now, Europatari said:

if there is nothing like this, is there a graphics editor like tile layer pro for the lynx games?

No game for the Lynx. Though I can think of a way do to it, it is no feature most users would be able to use (downloading via UART->ComLynx).

But, hey, with the right funding ...

38 minutes ago, Europatari said:

if there is nothing like this, is there a graphics editor like tile layer pro for the lynx games?

I am using "tiled" for creating the world for On Duty. Does that qualify?

Here is the first level of On Duty in "tiled" format. You should be able to edit it and change the scenery.

range.tmx

plus the graphics sheet that you can also modify.

OnDuty.png.a14cd323bb9042417a34f6955076024e.png

3 hours ago, Nop90 said:

Don't hope for it. I think he was talking about  a Vectrex emulator for android.

This is a strange thread... What is serious, and what is in jest?

While it isn't very processor intense, Vectrex wouldn't make any sense due to the low screen resolution of the Lynx.

When i ported vectrex to 3ds, using the gpu to draw vectors in a way similar to how suzy stretches a dot, the performances was't good.

Vectres can draw up to a couple of hundreds of vectors for virtual frame (real vectres has no frames nor a framebuffer) and in my emulator limited them in sw to about 100 to speed the emulation to acceptable rates.

If someone can code a good vectrex emulator for Lynx,, I'll spend for sure a lot of time studying its code.

1 hour ago, bhall408 said:

While it isn't very processor intense, Vectrex wouldn't make any sense due to the low screen resolution of the Lynx.

Yepp, this is a "I have a weird idea, let me share it with the world" thread ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

When i ported vectrex to 3ds, using the gpu to draw vectors in a way similar to how suzy stretches a dot, the performances was't good.

Vectres can draw up to a couple of hundreds of vectors for virtual frame (real vectres has no frames nor a framebuffer) and in my emulator limited them in sw to about 100 to speed the emulation to acceptable rates.

If someone can code a good vectrex emulator for Lynx,, I'll spend for sure a lot of time studying its code.

I read, Vectrex has a "virtual" resolution of 256x256. So, yes the Lynx isn't quite the right candidate. Let's move this thread into "Jaguar Programming" ?

• Haha 1

but is there a very basic game maker for atari lynx games? 

I've been dreaming of something like this from time to time, but I reckon there's a HUGE amount of work putting together something like that. The various incarnations of "Arcade game designer" (AGD / AGDx / MPAGD) has been very succesful in the ZX Spectrum scene and there's a ton of games released with it. It's been ported to the Amstrad CPC and some other old computers too. It has a sprite editor, tile mapper etc. and uses a sort of basic for scripting. Obviously it's a bit restricted to what kind of games you can create with it. I've seen threads on other forums about porting it for the c64 / msx etc. too. Then again from experience with "construct 2" and other game makers, for many people it's more fun to code yourself and to be in control. There's always a learning curve with these kinds of tools how to do certain things too. But they're really fast once you get a hang of it.

An IDE for the Lynx like the one Pico-8 would be really sweet too, with code-view, graphics/sprite editor, music tracker and sfx editor integrated into one. That would really spur the creativity! Then again separate tools for all of this are already available for/usable for the Lynx, so it'd have to be created by someone that could pull it off technically and who would really enjoy the process.

A special game BASIC though would be possible

It sounds interesting, but  I always thought using C in a simple manner was much easier than the old basics I've tried (Basic 2 on the C64 and Basic 7 on the C128). I haven't tried any modern Basic variants, so it might be those would be easier to use. :grin: Basic v.7 was quite nice though.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

20 hours ago, bhall408 said:

yes, i wanted to bring up a little theory, but all of the sudden many other quacks here around then took this topic and played with it around.

this is not normal.

22 hours ago, karri said:

I am using "tiled" for creating the world for On Duty. Does that qualify?

Here is the first level of On Duty in "tiled" format. You should be able to edit it and change the scenery.

range.tmx 6.07 kB · 3 downloads

plus the graphics sheet that you can also modify.

OnDuty.png.a14cd323bb9042417a34f6955076024e.png

ooooohhhhh, that is a good idea, i will try that out :)