IGNORED

Terminal Emulator II and a Wifi Modem.

minty

Hi! Has anyone got a wifi modem running with Terminal Emulator II? The one I've got (based on zimodem) can talk at 300baud (checked with a dumb terminal) - but I'm having problems. 'AT' doesn't give me an 'OK', and there's something odd with the CR/LF mapping. Before I spend too long kicking this, has anyone else done this successfully and have settings they can share with me?

Alternatively, are there other terminal emulators that can run off cart (via my FG99)? I keep reading about Term80, but I'm still stuck on how to get the disk image onto a floppy. Is there a middle ground that can load off the FG99 that might have a few more config options than the TEII?

Many thanks in advance!

43 minutes ago, minty said:

Hi! Has anyone got a wifi modem running with Terminal Emulator II? The one I've got (based on zimodem) can talk at 300baud (checked with a dumb terminal) - but I'm having problems. 'AT' doesn't give me an 'OK', and there's something odd with the CR/LF mapping. Before I spend too long kicking this, has anyone else done this successfully and have settings they can share with me?

Alternatively, are there other terminal emulators that can run off cart (via my FG99)? I keep reading about Term80, but I'm still stuck on how to get the disk image onto a floppy. Is there a middle ground that can load off the FG99 that might have a few more config options than the TEII?

Many thanks in advance!

If I recall i think I got it working when I first got the WiModem232.

The key with the TE-II cartridge is you cannot set the 'Data Bit' for the TI in TE-II.  It defaults to 7.  If I recall the only way I got it to work was to use Windows PC and a null modem cable to set the correct settings and save it.  Then I could use it with TEII.

Your stock RS232 card can achieve more than 300 baud.  There are other terminal programs that Fast Term, and if you have an F18A video upgrade then you can use TIMXT and get up to 38400.

Other terminal programs like Telco, Fast Term, etc seem to get unstable over 4800 baud.

If you are trying to get a real TI disk image onto a floppy then you can you TI99-PC (it's on the ftp.whtech.com).  However this program does require an older PC that can write 'Single Density' floppy disks.  It can go higher, but if your TI is stock with a TIFDC then you can only get Double sided/Single Density.

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Other terminal programs like Telco, Fast Term, etc seem to get unstable over 4800 baud.

I wonder if the instability is from some combination of WiFiModem + FastTerm?

Paul Charlton wrote Fast Term to achieve 9600 baud.

I'm not sure if 9600 was possible in the earliest versions of FastTerm when it was great for accessing CompuServe (it had TE download/upload protocol.)  But around 1985, Paul Charlton had to make Fast Term work with the 9600 baud serial lines at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.  In the 80s, RPI dorm rooms had a serial port fixed at 9600 baud, and there were terminal servers handling up to maybe 64 lines each. On connection, I think you got a prompt for an IP or hostname to connect to, and you used the DEL code to escape back to the prompt. That's why Fast Term has a key for DEL. The Geneve version of Fast Term had other keys mapped to applications on the RPI network, I forget which ones. I think one was the text editor on MTS (Michigan Terminal Server, an OS that ran on an IBM mainframe from 1973 to the late 90s inside a VM.)

The way I know this is that I attended RPI from 1989 and the Geneve Fast Term was all I used for 2 years.

(the network servers were PDP-11s with 8 8-port RS232 cards, I think. I only saw one after they were beginning to be decommissioned in favor of Ethernet and Xyplex multi-line dial-ups. However, I used Fast Term in 1987 to connect to my high school's PDP-11/10 at 9600 baud with a 50-foot serial cable. I disassembled the RS232 interrupt handler, which turned out to be about 4 instructions long: just push a byte into a ring buffer.)

Most Wifi modems don't like anything but 8 bits no parity teii only does 7bits even parity. I think the gurumodem is the only one that handles 7e1 but I haven't tested it myself.

Fastterm is in the fg99 library as is massxfer both will do 8n1

The best featred term for the 4a is Telco and it needs storage like a disk drive, tipi or nanopeb. The best ansi term is timxt but it requires the f18a vdp

Greg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hi all, thanks ever so much for your help everyone. I'm up and running with Fast-term at sensible speeds, so that's great (my FG99 collection is out of date and I hadn't spotted it). If I want to move to the world of ANSI compatibility, I guess I need either Telco or Term80? Which means, in either case, I need to work out how to get disk images running. Well, I've got an HxC2001 kicking around an a TiPi Peb arriving soon, so I should have that problem licked too. Expect more newbie questions further down the line! :)

• Like 2