IGNORED

How is the UM6526P1 different from the UM6526?

AlexBel

11 hours ago, AlexBel said:

Hi all!

Instead of the ordered UM6526P1, they sent me a UM6526 (without "P1"). What is the difference between UM6526P1 and UM6526?

Regards, Alex.

Why are you asking about the 6526 chip in an Atari 2600 forum? That chip is CIA chip used in the Commodore 64. It is not used in any Atari 8-bit machine.

I'm a bit out of my depth but a bit of bouncing around the net shows that the 2600 TIA is labelled UMC6526 while the completely different Commodore part is labelled MOS6525.
I don't know if the P1 suffix is significant but I suspect the suffix specifies PAL (UMC6526P1) vs NTSC (UMC6526N).

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=705874&sid=806bcfc57d1b24b9506836d8cccb4dff

I'm sure there should be a chip parts list around here somewhere.

It is confusing. But this is the long and short of it:

The UM6526P1 is indeed the PAL version of the TIA.

The UM6526 is possibly the Commodore CIA. UMC were third-party manufacturers for several companies.

If it doesn't say P1 at the end then it probably isn't the PAL TIA, if that's what you were looking for. The NTSC part number is the UM6526N.

I'm guessing the seller assumed that anything called the UM6526 are all pin compatible and have the same internal workings.

10 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Looks like for the 2600 Jr, they switched to labeling everything with "UM" part numbers.  The UM6526P1 does seem to be a PAL TIA.  Also without the P1.

On the RGB conversion mod page, there's a note about what to look for on each system.

http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/installation-jr/

Search the page for NTSC.

Thanks, I was on the link http://etim.net.au/2600rgb/installation-jr/
It says: "The PAL version is labelled C011903 or UM6526." But in the photo, UM6526P1.

6 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

It is confusing. But this is the long and short of it:

The UM6526P1 is indeed the PAL version of the TIA.

The UM6526 is possibly the Commodore CIA. UMC were third-party manufacturers for several companies.

If it doesn't say P1 at the end then it probably isn't the PAL TIA, if that's what you were looking for. The NTSC part number is the UM6526N.
I'm guessing the seller assumed that anything called the UM6526 are all pin compatible and have the same internal workings.

Quite possible. But this only says that the seller is bad or the seller deceived me.
I now need to know exactly what UM6526 is. If this is a TIA, then you need to know exactly which one - the connection diagram will change. If not TIA, order another chip from another seller.

Edited by AlexBel

It doesn't help that the pin count is the same either.

Well, on a Commodore board there was a similar discussion.

> Also look for an

> UMC made 6526, called UM6526, afaik it should be compatible with the

> Commodore MOS version.

No, unfortunately it's not. The UM6526 is a TIA (or "Stella") video chip for Atari 2600 systems.

22 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

Thank you very much!
Yes, at this link, in one of the messages there is a phrase: "You are right, the UM6526 is not the same thing as the Commodore MOS 6526.
Along with the UM 6507, the UM 6532 and others, it does belong to the Atari 2600 chipset. "
I will try to find out where this information comes from and how reliable it is.

It is strange because I buy and sell NOS chips from time to time and I've NEVER seen a PAL UM6526 that doesn't have the P1 postfix. It is quite possible that what you have, if it isn't the PAL TIA, it's an early NTSC chip without the N postfix.

Yet another possibility is that it's an early PAL TIA because I've sometimes seen the NTSC version referred to as the 6525.

Let us know what you can find out. If you had a 6-switch 2600 then you could just plug it in and find out one way or another. Might fry something (probably unlikely) but they are easy to repair.

2 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

It is strange because I buy and sell NOS chips from time to time and I've NEVER seen a PAL UM6526 that doesn't have the P1 postfix. It is quite possible that what you have, if it isn't the PAL TIA, it's an early NTSC chip without the N postfix.
Yet another possibility is that it's an early PAL TIA because I've sometimes seen the NTSC version referred to as the 6525.
Let us know what you can find out. If you had a 6-switch 2600 then you could just plug it in and find out one way or another. Might fry something (probably unlikely) but they are easy to repair.

If I had an Atari 2600, I would experiment with it. Unfortunately, I can’t buy the original console because of the high prices. Therefore, I decided to assemble it myself and bought chips on Aliexpress.
If I have new information, I will write in this thread.
Here is a photo of the chip I was talking about:

001.JPG

27 minutes ago, JeffJetton said:

Wow! That's very cool. I hope you'll post about your progress on the forum as you go. 

Yes, of course, I will publish the progress. But, unfortunately, due to a problem with TIA, the assembly of the project is postponed indefinitely. If the UM6526 can be used, I will continue to work. If not, you will have to order another.
Now my Atari 2600 looks like this :)

S2500129.JPG

• Haha 1

I could not find information on the UM6526 chip. I ordered UM6526P1 from another seller. Until I receive the chip, I will not continue to work on replication. When replication is assembled, I will create a separate topic for this. Thank you all for participating!

But if someone gives information on the UM6526, I will be very grateful.

• 2 years later...

Two years later, I launched the Atari 2600 on a breadboard. No control, only launching games from flash memory and displaying on the screen. Now I'm designing a PCB. I want to place the entire console on a 100x100 mm board.

I checked the UM6526 microcircuit, which I wrote about earlier and whose photo I posted. As expected, it didn't work.

IMG_20211023_183335.jpg

IMG_20211023_183353.jpg

IMG_20211023_133734.jpg

IMG_20211023_133722.jpg

Edited by AlexBel
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Wizzard said:

Wonderfull, does it use AV or RGB output?

I use AV, but this is a layout and video output is not done very well. When the design is translated into a good PCB, the video output will be done correctly. There will be composite video output and S-Video.

• Like 1