IGNORED

Which 5200 games, of the original 69 releases or homebrews, can be completed, have a definitive end?

Giles N

11 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I have never gotten past the first round with a stock controller.

I actually thought analogue orginal  controller worked well with this game; but as to pass other racing cars, one has to keep the stick very steady and precise.

now, sometimes the others cars shift file, or creates room for you to be able to pass them z-manouver-like, but do this at low-gear, or let-up your speed so dies down.

If you have a fair inkling to which curves comes when, you’ll notice big Ad-signs are mostly on the outer side of the curve, so you can drive into the green on the inside of somecurves, but get out on the road asap.

So, steer precisely.

gear-down or break when trying to pass cars, 

If two cars block the road ahead, lower your speed til you hang behind them, and wait for them to change position, or a long straight, where you can attempt to sneak past them in the middle.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:16 AM, 0078265317 said:

Yes except start pause and reset on one of them.  But even bitd it was hard with new system.

I played it first on 5200 emu system ‘Kat5200’ with a xbox/usb controller.

Then I (after much to-and fro) got actual 5200 unit up an running.

And guess, what?

Having an analogue stick that did not selfcenter, actually helped, the Arcade had wheel which did not center/move back in position, so even though I never got far in the Arcade, I got the precision needed to steer clear of other cars while holding the right turn-angle.

?

Star Raiders gives you a happy ending when you've wiped out all the Zylons in the galaxy.  I have yet to experience that pleasure myself.

The "Double" and "Cavity" variations of Super Breakout reset the wall a finite number of times, so it's possible to declare yourself the victor in those variations.

Castle Crisis, like all Warlords clones, ends when one player has beaten all others five times.

The sports games, not counting Track & Field but including Ballblazer, have definite endings.

If you haven't lost all your lives first, Choplifter! ends when all 64 hostages are either dead or rescued.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 6:52 AM, A Black Falcon said:

I'd say that Super Cobra looping after you reach the end probably should count here.

Yeah, I’d say they count if they go through many set level-layouts and start over at level 1.

Thats a game with beginning and end; it just loops.

So I’d say ‘Vanguard’ is ‘a wrap’ after going through one round of levels and taking the final boss once.

So Vanguard is on my list here.

I found it very playable, but would like to see some light/shadow(depth) to the many ships and objects.

I'm pretty sure Montezuma's Revenge doesn't end.  I've only significantly played the Apple II version, but once you found the treasure room the game would loop back with faster speed / harder enemies.  I assumed it keep doing that until you ran out of lives or got bored.

Montezuma's Revenge apparently has nine levels, then once you beat level nine, the last level loops endlessly until you get game over.  If that is correct I'd call that effectively a game with an ending, they just had the last stage loop instead of ending it, partially for cart space reasons apparently.

... The original game is great, but for anyone who hasn't played it, the Game Boy/Color sequel/remake Montezuma's Return is really, really good.  I like that game a lot.

On 9/18/2019 at 10:56 PM, Giles N said:

Yeah, I’d say they count if they go through many set level-layouts and start over at level 1.

Thats a game with beginning and end; it just loops.

So I’d say ‘Vanguard’ is ‘a wrap’ after going through one round of levels and taking the final boss once.

So Vanguard is on my list here.

I found it very playable, but would like to see some light/shadow(depth) to the many ships and objects.

Hmm, are the order of stages in Vanguard the same every time, or does it change?

(As for Super Cobra, I found that game pretty good on 5200.  Fun and challenging.)

Arcade Pac-Man caps its difficulty on the 9th key level (that is, the 9th time you see the key as the bonus "fruit").  After that, the game is supposed to continue indefinitely, but glitches to the point of unplayability when you reach level 256.  Since the game's AI is deterministic and optimal maze patterns are well known, people consider the game beaten when you have achieved the highest score possible before the kill screen prevents you from going any further.  So it's not a real, intended ending, but it's certainly a limit on how far you can go.  Arcade Ms. Pac-Man has a similar kill screen, and actually at a much lower level.

I'm not sure which home versions of the games have similar kill screens, if any.  At any rate, I wouldn't consider them true endings, since they rely more on code bugs and limitations, and less on programmer intent.

1 hour ago, FujiSkunk said:

Arcade Pac-Man caps its difficulty on the 9th key level (that is, the 9th time you see the key as the bonus "fruit").  After that, the game is supposed to continue indefinitely, but glitches to the point of unplayability when you reach level 256.  Since the game's AI is deterministic and optimal maze patterns are well known, people consider the game beaten when you have achieved the highest score possible before the kill screen prevents you from going any further.  So it's not a real, intended ending, but it's certainly a limit on how far you can go.  Arcade Ms. Pac-Man has a similar kill screen, and actually at a much lower level.

I'm not sure which home versions of the games have similar kill screens, if any.  At any rate, I wouldn't consider them true endings, since they rely more on code bugs and limitations, and less on programmer intent.

My brain had glitched big-time long before reaching level 256...

Edited by Giles N

• 1 month later...

It would be really interesting and fun to see an end screen added to these games that normally just loop after X number of levels. It would add a greater element of completion and accomplishment to all of them. High scores as a goal are great but completing a game to its end is also very satisfying I think we all will agree.