IGNORED

Games that should have been on Jaguar

awbacon

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

So you think it would have been 30 locked without it? ;-) Doid you notice the game only reaches the target frame rate when no other bike/AI is on track but really tanks when racing other drivers? 

I'm still hoping the likes of Arcade Attack can track down and interview some of the people behind the game to get some idea of just how and why it turned out so badly as it did.

A playable frame rate is preferable to texture mapping just to be seen as matching what games on other systems were doing if that indeed was the sole reasoning behind it..

Edited by Lost Dragon

7 hours ago, swapd0 said:

Nope, I've digged into SuperCross Source code (with my disassembler) and it's locked to a minimum of 4 vbl per frame on PAL systems and 5 vbl per frame in NTSC, that gives a maximum of 12,5 fps for PAL and 12fps for NTSC.

Most of the time it seems to run at 50% of that. 12 would have been *acceptable* but the game rarely reaches that target, maybe occasionally in practice mode with no other AI bikers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

Something like Hover! have been nice.

Doesn't seem much more complex than DOOM, & Atari needed more kid-friendly titles. (My opinion!)

Honestly that thing sucks. One Hoverstrike is enough :-D But HS looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

Edited by agradeneu

On 10/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, agradeneu said:

Honestly that thing sucks. One Hoverstrike is enough :-D But HS looks like a masterpiece compared to this.

'Twas fun when we found it on our school's new PCs. But you're right; it needs polish. As it stands it's little more than a Win95 tech demo. (Your new multimedia PC can do SO MUCH!)

Edited by pacman000

Just now, pacman000 said:

'Twas fun when we found it on our school's new PCs. But you're right; it needs polish. As it stands it's little more than a Win95 tech demo. (Your new multimedia PC can do SO MUCH!)

When it already sucks on PC imagine how "fun" a 5 FPS slide show version on the Jaguar might be. :-D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Something like Hover! have been nice.

Doesn't seem much more complex than DOOM, & Atari needed more kid-friendly titles. (My opinion!)

Never seen this.

Looks like Doom in a Hovercraft with music by some 2Unlimited wannabe ?

Jaguar wasn't exactly short of future vehicle type games to start with.

Hoverstrike

Hoverstrike U.L

Aircars

Hover Hunter/Phase Zero in development. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, wongojack said:

Resident Evil

Capcom never really supported the Jag, which is weird. Why not toss a single game onto it?

anyone ever play the Power Fighters? Would have made a great Jag port. 2D, fast paced game. 

I think it could handle it? If Jaguar could do Rayman this doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, awbacon said:

Capcom never really supported the Jag, which is weird

Did any Japanese publisher support the Jaguar anyway? SEGA was apparently supposed to but it didn't happen either.

The only Japanese game on the Jaguar I can think of is Raiden, but it was ported by a British company and published by Atari...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Did any Japanese publisher support the Jaguar anyway? SEGA was apparently supposed to but it didn't happen either.

The only Japanese game on the Jaguar I can think of is Raiden, but it was ported by a British company and published by Atari...

Bill Rehbock was sent to Japan to try and get Japanese developer support.

Capcom refused to touch the Jaguar until the installed user base made it a viable commercial platform .

Scott Stilphen passed on a  document from Sunsoft to Atari asking if Atari wanted to pursue Myst II..A scribbled reply on it said No..Not on Jaguar.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Bill Rehbock was sent to Japan to try and get Japanese developer support.

Capcom refused to touch the Jaguar until the installed user base made it a viable commercial platform .

Scott Stilphen passed on a  document from Sunsoft to Atari asking if Atari wanted to pursue Myst II..A scribbled reply on it said No..Not on Jaguar.

Classic issue. Devs wont make games until install base grows to X, people wont buy the console and get the install base to X without software

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 1:58 PM, roots.genoa said:

Yeah, and didnt they had to port Raiden just by playing the heck out of the arcade? They didnt get any source code or assets, right? Just the arcade cabinet...which would be pretty cool! Or am i mistaking it with some other game?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sd32 said:

Yeah, and didnt they had to port Raiden just by playing the heck out of the arcade? They didnt get any source code or assets, right? Just the arcade cabinet...which would be pretty cool! Or am i mistaking it with some other game?

ATD ported Super Sprint to the ST by taking a Camcorder, tape recorder and blanket to the arcades and having 1 person play the coin op under a blanket..another film the footage and another tape the sound ?

Mr Micro only had the coin op on Freeplay and a photocopied manual in Japanese when converting Pacland to the ST and Amiga.

The team handling APB for Domark had a coin op delivered but delivery people dropped it when unloading it..

It's very unusual for UK developers to get key assets or source code from Japanese companies.

I think coder of Space Harrier 2 on ST and Amiga said Sega were of no help at all in that case as well.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Bomberman/Dynablaster with local multiplayer 2-8, graphics 16x16 tiles ? Would be a cool homebrew/compo project to do a similar game.

This would be really nice.

It is a shame that the french Bomberman clone project seems to be cancled. From the little we saw it looked nice.

And also there had been a bit of talk on Twitter from the original Coder Mike Mika of the Bomberman Jaguar version but I do not know if anything is happening there. For a while it seemed to...  

Jag Bomberman.JPG

Jag Bomberman 2.JPG

3 hours ago, PeterG said:

This would be really nice.

It is a shame that the french Bomberman clone project seems to be cancled. From the little we saw it looked nice.

If someone could port this ST game to the Jaguar please and allow a complete redesign of all graphics playing to the systems strengths (16x16 tiles, 16 bit) - I would love to do the artwork for that ;-) 

https://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/dynabusters_

Edited by agradeneu