IGNORED

Games that should have been on Jaguar

awbacon

11 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I just came across gameplay footage of Tenseiryuu: Saint Dragon today (first time that I had seen or heard of it) and my first thought was that it looked amazing and something would perform well as a port to the Jaguar.   I know that it probably isn't ever likely to happen, but one can always hope & dream.

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I first discovered this game on the Atari ST, so I know someone who could make it happen... ;)

Wow, that would be so awesome!  Maybe you can see if you friend would be interested in porting it to the Jaguar.  I know in recently years we have been graced by quite a few ST ports to the Jaguar due to the similar architecture of the 2 platforms.

3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

Wow, that would be so awesome!  Maybe you can see if you friend would be interested in porting it to the Jaguar.  I know in recently years we have been graced by quite a few ST ports to the Jaguar due to the similar architecture of the 2 platforms.

It's not my 'friend'; I'm talking about the person who created all these ports!

On 12/15/2019 at 10:10 PM, Tidus79001 said:

Never heard of that one, looks fun

• Like 1

While finishing up my CPS 2 stuff I kept thinking the Jag could have gotten a halfway decent port of a few of these. Sure the Saturn needed the 4MB ram cart to run some, but stuff like the D&D games I feel could have run on the Jaguar with little issue. So sad third party support was thin from big companies like Capcom. Even if they just hired third parties to do the ports, it couldnt have been that bad

1 hour ago, Andrew Rosa said:

One of the Dungeons & Dragons title required the 4MB cart though. Why not Street Fighter Zero 2, or Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo? Would be like a middle-finger to both Super Nintendo and 3DO. 

Jag can load from cartridge Rom. I think it's been mentioned but the Jag could run CD and cartridge in tandem.  X-Men vs street fighter would be awesome on cartridge for the loads. Like how morphs suck on mk CD ports vs cart. 

1 hour ago, Kalani said:

Jag can load from cartridge Rom. I think it's been mentioned but the Jag could run CD and cartridge in tandem.  X-Men vs street fighter would be awesome on cartridge for the loads. Like how morphs suck on mk CD ports vs cart. 

I've heard conflicting reports on CD conversions of Mortal Kombat II. Some go back and forth over 32X and Saturn being best, though I've only ever played 32X and Super NES. Are the load times the main issue? 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:28 PM, Andrew Rosa said:

I've heard conflicting reports on CD conversions of Mortal Kombat II. Some go back and forth over 32X and Saturn being best, though I've only ever played 32X and Super NES. Are the load times the main issue? 

Yes the morph load times in particular. X-Men vs street fighter got around  the loading issue for character swaps with four Meg ram cart. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 8:17 AM, Tidus79001 said:

I just came across gameplay footage of Tenseiryuu: Saint Dragon today (first time that I had seen or heard of it) and my first thought was that it looked amazing and something would perform well as a port to the Jaguar.   I know that it probably isn't ever likely to happen, but one can always hope & dream.

That looks like something the STe could've pulled off graphics-wise. The audio definitely sounds YM2151'ish...

On 12/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, Lynxpro said:

That looks like something the STe could've pulled off graphics-wise. The audio definitely sounds YM2151'ish...

There's an ST port of the game that is pretty good and pretty faithful to the arcade version, if I remember correctly. Considering its similarity to Dragon Breed and R-Type, though, I think there's a slim chance of CJ doing a port of it.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:42 PM, agradeneu said:

I would prefer more original games, not only ports ;-)

I think most people agree. Better get crackin' on one, then!

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

There's an ST port of the game that is pretty good and pretty faithful to the arcade version, if I remember correctly. Considering its similarity to Dragon Breed and R-Type, though, I think there's a slim chance of CJ doing a port of it.

I think most people agree. Better get crackin' on one, then!

I'd like to see Sega Mega Drive/Genesis games ported. They tend to be better than the ST(e) and Amiga versions. Now if CJ could clone himself but instruct his clone to become a Sega whisperer.  :) And a second clone to do the same for Sharp X68000 titles. :)

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, awbacon said:

have any lynx to jaguar conversions ever been done? 

I don't think so. Unlike the Atari ST, the Lynx doesn't use the same CPU as the Jaguar, so it would require complete emulation. The graphics would need to be redone as well, because they would look coarse on a big screen (the resolution is only about half of what most Jag games use).

On 1/21/2020 at 5:34 PM, oakcitycomics said:

I always felt the arcade game Battle of the Solar System would of looked and played great on the Jaguar. 

I never heard of this game before. I love the look of it. Despite the pedestrian pacing/frame rate, I feel like this would have been well beyond the Jaguar's capabilities as anything other than a heavily cut-down port. I feel like there are a lot more 3D calculations going on here than perhaps we might want to give it credit for. 

1 hour ago, awbacon said:

I doubt Jag could pull something with this many polygons off, but do these types of demos exist on Jaguar? I’ve never really seen 3D Model demos on the platform

The 3DO M2 was a step beyond Saturn, PS1, and even the N64 in many ways, so it's definitely a lot to ask of a system that was technologically behind even those platforms to pull something like that off.

Do you remember the PS1 demo disc that came packed with various launch PS1's? It had this cool controllable dinosaur model with texture-mapping:

We never did see that level of detail in-game, obviously, but it was still cool. 

This is probably the closest equivalent to date (maybe? At least that I've seen) for the Jaguar on a textured 3D demo without game logic:

Certainly impressive in its own way, especially for a system not designed for 3D.

• Like 1