IGNORED

Discussion about a Modern Display for Retro Gaming

c0op3r

So I am stuck at home with a Hurricane screwing everything up, mind you it is not here nor is it bothering me but my Local, State and Federal Government are playing it safe, so with that being said I want to take my time and type up an idea.  Now I don’t know how exactly to implement this idea, but I hope by posting it here, better minds can discuss it, fine tune it and maybe just maybe figure out how to proceed.

That idea would be a flat screen LCD gaming monitor, a retro capable screen, for me that would be something with the following specs:

·         4:3 aspect ratio (no more than 16:10)

·         20-27 inches diagonal size

·         Inputs like SCART, YPbPr, Composite, VGA and an HDMI

·         Able to handle input resolutions like a OSSC or better yet just have an OSSC processor/firmware inside

·         No remote control – ease to use on screen setup (of a very ease remote to navigate the On-Screen Menu)

·         One power cord

·         Built in speakers

This all came about after recently trying to figure out how to get a reasonable video output out of a few of my classic video gaming systems (In my case Sega Genesis, Neo Geo [consolized] & a PC Engine).  This seemed really simple, turned out it really was not.  I ordered an YPbPr cable (component) and got an older LCD 20” TV connected up the Genesis and ‘no signal’ was displayed on the screen.  This caused me to have to go out and learn about all the frequencies, resolutions and aspect ratios.

All I wanted was to play the games with a decent picture – simply.

So that led me to the OSSC and Framemeister type devices and the myriad of cables required to do this what a headache.

Side Note: I also bought an Analogue Mega SG and although wonderful with HDMI output that looks great I have to play it on a screen that is 16:9 (widescreen).  See I don’t really want to play my games on my 65” living room TV, which might not be the case for everyone, but for my having a smaller dedicated gaming screen that I can setup on a desk and play games would be ideal.

So my hope here is to start a conversation about this and maybe get someone that is smart enough or maybe has experience with this kind of thing and maybe, just maybe, could either convince a monitor manufacture to make a dedicated ‘retro gaming’ display or someone starts a Kickstater type thing to do just this.  I personally do not have the knowledge and experience to do so, but I would back one – instantly!

So I look forward to a conversation about this, and seeing if I am the only one dreaming of this or if there really is a market.  Because the old monitors I am going to have to use now are not going to last that long as they are 10 to 15 years old now.

1 minute ago, Mulletino said:

I recently bought one of these for cheap to fullfill my retro gaming connection requirements, seems to fit most of yours too.

http://www.justmonitors.com.au/sam225ms.htm

Neat have you got it and hooked it up yet?  Will it accept the 240p signal of the Genesis (and other systems)?

13 minutes ago, Mulletino said:

I recently bought one of these for cheap to fullfill my retro gaming connection requirements, seems to fit most of yours too.

http://www.justmonitors.com.au/sam225ms.htm

Nice, it has a ton of different video inputs for nearly anything.  Sadly a little little hard to come by now though.

There is a thread in the TI-99/4A section with a few options for others as well...

6 minutes ago, c0op3r said:

Neat have you got it and hooked it up yet?  Will it accept the 240p signal of the Genesis (and other systems)?

Nah not yet, haven't had the time. My megadrives (both PAL) are packed away atm. I probably should have tried it before the 90 day return policy expires!

11 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

Nice, it has a ton of different video inputs for nearly anything.  Sadly a little little hard to come by now though.

yeah, my mate recently bought an early Sony LCD screen for the same reason (although it's 16:9), has the older inputs. His Gamecube looked awesome on it.

His was a case of scouring facebook marketplace, mine was from my regular visits to Cash Convertors.

Edited by Mulletino
added info
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mulletino said:

Nah not yet, haven't had the time. My megadrives (both PAL) are packed away atm. I probably should have tried it before the 90 day return policy expires!

The reason I ask is that I also bought a Monitor that has Component and VGA (plus other inputs) it shows nothing with the signal from my machines - I am told this is because the monitor can not handle the 240p signal, If the monitor you showed handles it I would hunt on down but I bet it does not.

As I found out connector alone will not and does not mean it will work.

Edited by c0op3r