IGNORED

Advice on a Samsung Nuon that went kaput

MegaManFan

I was kind of ambiguous as to whether this was "Classic" or "Modern" gaming, so if I've erred point me in the right direction. Either way I have a Samsung Nuon that I bought some years ago from an AA user that I recently discovered while rewiring the consoles in my basement had gone kaput. I'd hit the power button on both the remote and the actual console itself to no response. Tried changing batteries, tried different outlets, different AV inputs, different cables, all the usual suspects. Took it to a local guru known as Fix-It Phil and his advice to me was that the power board inside was SHOT because it was outputting a signal to AV constantly even when it wasn't technically "turned on" just plugged into a wall. He said if there were spare parts it might be reparable... but I suspect I'm the donor for someone ELSE's Nuon because there are none on eBay for spare parts (not the last I looked anyway) and new ones go for $100 minimum. So should I sell this for parts, or is there any chance to save this obscure console? I have the full library of games and full variety of controllers so I'd rather not give up on it without a fight.

For some reason most Samsung Nuons are going dead. I have one, and it died on me too. Most of the time is the DVD drive, the symptom is that it displays some text on LCD and it wont eject the disk. You can find a non nuon Samsung DVD player (I need to find out specific model  ) and swap the drive from it, hopefully fixing it.

The Toshiba SD-2300 seems to be better lasting, maybe look for that. I have one and it still works fine.

13 hours ago, jjona5 said:

If you do decide to sell it PLEASE sell me a controller. I've been after one for a while. That said the consoles come up reasonably on ebay from time to time. Depending on your model there is a page for donor cd rom drives. 

Sorry jjona5, I'd keep the controllers even if I sold it, because like I said before I have a full set of games and the various controllers. Unfortunately the suggestions of a donor DVD drive won't help because as mentioned Fix-It Phil told me it's the power board that's bad, not the DVD drive.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Nuon machines, but my understanding is they're primarily DVD players that also happen to play games.

That being the case, perhaps you can get a donor power board from a Samsung DVD player. I could see the drive being proprietary (so it can run the games), but I would imagine the actual power-supplying piece would be standard equipment. Perhaps Mr. Phil can help you identify the part number & find out if it's Nuon-specific.

Edited by HoshiChiri

On 9/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, MegaManFan said:

Fix-It Phil told me it's the power board that's bad, not the DVD drive.

The Samsung DVD player model M101 has similar power board as seen here: https://medium.com/@rxseger/salvaging-a-samsung-dvd-m101-player-663810b66bd7

Also M105 and possibly M104, Maybe all are compatible.

http://www.nuon-dome.com/disc_read_error_fix.html

I'm still looking in Goodwill's to find compatible DVD players to fix mine Nuon.

• Like 1