IGNORED

How much would pay for a Vic 20?

mksmith

49 minutes ago, Blindseer42 said:

and even hell uses Vista

?That is the funniest thing I read today because I can totally picture VISTA being the only OS in use in HELL ? and I say that as a Windows user who actually prefers it! (Win10 on all my machines) 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Finally got one! Just pickup up a working VC-20 (must have been transported to Australia) for $157 - looks in good condition with no major yellowing dings or gouges.  The only thing I will replace is one of the keys which has the PETSCII gfx smudged.  Going to check for a replacement from a breadbin 64 here: http://retroleum.co.uk/c64-keyboard once I get it to confirm (or any other recommendations).

• Like 2

Got my Vic today.  Gave it a really good clean and test - has come up really nice. Had to replace the 7406 Hex Inverter (UB4?) as the floppy disks wouldn't read (device not present) but working great now.  Got a key puller coming as the keyboard needs a really good clean underneath and will probably look to replace a couple of keys with smudged PETSCII chars. Pretty happy!

IMG_20190920_202504.thumb.jpg.95b465922069ba61f3db64bf1e59af7a.jpgIMG_20190920_202456.thumb.jpg.2460a101676d5992430e2f906488b8f7.jpg

Picked up the Super Expander + 3K, Omega Race and Jupiter Lander on cart from the same guy so looking forward to getting those next week (had those as a kid). Will look to get one of the Penultimate Carts most likely soon to finish off.

• Like 1

Thanks for the troubleshooting report. I've got half (*) a VIC-20 (currently no keyboard) that has the exact same fault about the drive and I've also come to the conclusion about replacing the 7406 but never gotten to work on it. It inspires me to try it, now that someone else got his fixed that way.

(*) Well, I've got another two loose + one boxed so that would be 3.5 mostly working VIC's.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Thanks for the troubleshooting report. I've got half (*) a VIC-20 (currently no keyboard) that has the exact same fault about the drive and I've also come to the conclusion about replacing the 7406 but never gotten to work on it. It inspires me to try it, now that someone else got his fixed that way.

(*) Well, I've got another two loose + one boxed so that would be 3.5 mostly working VIC's.

Thankfully an easy fix for me! Hopefully the same for you ?

Just now, carlsson said:

Yeah. I've read Ray Carlsen's troubleshooting guide and found it there as well. But (this) man is lazy and while I don't mind soldering in general, I rarely attack factory soldered PCBs.

Haha - same here. It seems almost wrong to touch them but it's fun. Got a UAV to put into my 7800 but been sitting there for a few months - almost afraid to touch it ?

• Like 1