IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

We thought it would be good to start a dedicated thread for what now seems to be turning into Doom : Slayer Edition.

We'll post updates in here as they happen etc.

This first post will also be updated with all the news to keep it in a easy to find location.

There's also a Q&A section after the news

News

Music added in levels with new volume slider in Options.

- Music now plays during gameplay, not just in the Intermission.

Pro-controller Support added.

- Shoulder buttons strafe - Some weapons on the number pad had to be moved due to this, but it's worth it!

Cheat menu added.

- Easy to access cheat functions and fixed the map cheats that were previously inaccessible.

JWad Support Added.

- 'Drag drop' levels in the build process.

Spider Mastermind Added.

- All sounds, graphics and AI included. E3M8 added for good measure.

Spectres Implemented.

- Spectres (and other game objects) now correctly apply a 'shadow/trans' effect.

Videos

Initial preview (lots has changed since!)

Q&A

- What are the release/distribution plans for this?
-- Not even thought about that yet.  There are obviously careful considerations that must be made.

- When will it be finished?
-- When it's ready!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Just showing my support. Keep it up guys. I'm floored on all fronts! 

I find this freaking fascinating as a huge DOOM fan. Entertain me...

- What would you collectively say allowed you do things others said wasn't doable?

- Years & years of knowing the hardware (both limitations & abilities) to credit?

- Would it have been doable for id to do this with more time or did they really push far for the time, being a fairly early release?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jagosaurus said:

Just showing my support. Keep it up guys. I'm floored on all fronts! 

I find this freaking fascinating as a huge DOOM fan. Entertain me...

- What would you collectively say allowed you do things others said wasn't doable?

- Years & years of knowing the hardware (both limitations & abilities) to credit?

- Would it have been doable for id to do this with more time or did they really push far for the time, being a fairly early release?

Thanks for the feedback.

We just got on and did it, it's as straight forward as that. Obviously experience with the hardware will always help but this isn't anything that couldn't have been done originally.

I get the feeling it mostly came down to time Vs cost. What they managed was superb and still is the best original Doom port.

We have the luxury now of time with no deadlines to adhere to, so we can give this great game the attention it deserves.

• Like 9

This project is the most exciting thing I've followed in a long time.  I find it absolutely amazing how you guys are pushing an impressive game even further.  I was obsessed with Doom as a teen, and the Jag version was the first one I really put time into.  I played the hell out of it, memorizing every secret, every enemy placement, etc.  I analyzed the maps to death, for example finding it funny that the lost souls in Level 10 that were in the secret room in the PC version are still present in JagDoom, although they're inaccessible as that part of the map was removed...but you can still kill them by shooting rockets at the wall.  I was aware of the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, and I dreamed of how cool it would be to encounter them until years later when I played the PC version.

Anyway, it's so cool to me that I'm going to be able to play a nearly perfected version of a game I know intimately, with elements I could only dream of experiencing back in the day.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

This project is the most exciting thing I've followed in a long time.  I find it absolutely amazing how you guys are pushing an impressive game even further.  I was obsessed with Doom as a teen, and the Jag version was the first one I really put time into.  I played the hell out of it, memorizing every secret, every enemy placement, etc.  I analyzed the maps to death, for example finding it funny that the lost souls in Level 10 that were in the secret room in the PC version are still present in JagDoom, although they're inaccessible as that part of the map was removed...but you can still kill them by shooting rockets at the wall.  I was aware of the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, and I dreamed of how cool it would be to encounter them until years later when I played the PC version.

Anyway, it's so cool to me that I'm going to be able to play a nearly perfected version of a game I know intimately, with elements I could only dream of experiencing back in the day.  Keep up the good work.

I agree completely! I am absolutely as excited about this release as any upcoming PC or Console title this year. Maybe even more. Cannot wait to play it. I only hope the powers that be don’t try to shut it down immediately upon release as they tend to do

• Like 3