IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

5 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I bought that very "pack" back in 1994 from a Radio Shack that was by my house. I could walk to it because I wasn't old enough to drive. There's only a single 3.5" floppy in there, and it's actually the Shareware version of the game... e.g., only the first mission.

I remember these.  I think it was so popular at one point you could buy them in grocery stores.

I think I still have my Quake shareware disk somewhere.

13 hours ago, leech said:

I have this too, and recently located my copy of the quake CD crack as well, which combined with that CD, gave you everything from the world off Id at the time.  Not that I condone the use of such things...

20 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I have this too, and recently located my copy of the quake CD crack as well, which combined with that CD, gave you everything from the world off Id at the time.  Not that I condone the use of such things...

Yeah, I ended up sticking the floppy disk that was on into the CD case in case I needed to install it again.  But then again I have them all in Steam now...

On 5/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, doctorclu said:

Still the first level would make a great demo.   I could see playing that over and over again for a while, and then buying the rest of the game.

Yeah, I have a lot of nostalgia for those days. In the earliest times, that was the big means of distribution. People would offer the first level of a game for free, and if you liked it, you either called the phone number and ordered it over the phone, to which point they'd send it to you in the mail, or you could download it from their BBS.

Id was big on this though, many of their games had the first level as available shareware.

Doom was a great multiplayer game though... probably "the" one, I'd say, that made most people aware you could play against someone on your computer.

On 5/22/2020 at 12:27 AM, leech said:

I remember these.  I think it was so popular at one point you could buy them in grocery stores.

Quake, that was a great game back in the day. I have a copy of it for the Sega Saturn... and I was so impressed at how well it played on that system. The graphics were not the resolution you'd ideally want or otherwise have on a computer, but it ran really well without any slowing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

Quake, that was a great game back in the day. I have a copy of it for the Sega Saturn... and I was so impressed at how well it played on that system. The graphics were not the resolution you'd ideally want or otherwise have on a computer, but it ran really well without any slowing.

Quake is still great. From what i've seen of the saturn port it's not the fastest but it sure looks amazing. It has better light effects than both pc(dos) and n64 in my opinion. The Dynamic lights are rudimentary but it has a cool middle ground between the pc's gritty look and the colored lights in one package. The port uses a different engine too so it went through a lot of work.

Edited by DoTheMath

1 hour ago, SoundGammon said:

I just got DOOM 64 on the XBOX ONE!  Same game but WAY BETTER graphics!

It is funny.  I played Brutal Doom 64 like right befire they released Doom 64 officially everywhere.   By the way, if you haven't played the Brutal Doom Mods... it is worth playing Doom all over again for those!

I was listening to the Doom Jag OST on YouTube and notice that every upload of it is missing one track that's actually on Doom Jag. I think it's "They're Going To Get You". Not sure why that's been omitted on any of the playlists I've found but I'm pretty sure it's in the game after some of the levels.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 2:48 PM, Warmsignal said:

I was listening to the Doom Jag OST on YouTube and notice that every upload of it is missing one track that's actually on Doom Jag. I think it's "They're Going To Get You". Not sure why that's been omitted on any of the playlists I've found but I'm pretty sure it's in the game after some of the levels.

The Doom wiki does not list that track: https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Atari_Jaguar#Soundtrack

Well i have searched for DOOM Jaguar hacks , and discover this thread.

Very cool.

I think you already know there is doom II for Jaguar

And Heretic and Freedoom also planned , but not released.

Also there is calico doom a backport of atari jaguar doom to PC.

I think everyone already know it =) decided to post it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNSVpU4_Bk

6 minutes ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

Well maybe you know something I don't, I sure hope you do.  Heretic would be even better than that Double Dragon 2 ST port I've been begging you for the last 2 years.  

I quite liked Double Dragon 2 as well.....  Time is tight at the moment, but it is on the list :D

• Like 5

Well between the other ST ports of which I just ordered 7 from Gaz last month,  "Slayer Edition" Doom,  Last Strike,  and a "mention" of Heretic, I guess you may be a little busy.  ?  Anyway of course, if and when any of that stuff happens or becomes available, I will be waiting happily with money for the take!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...