IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

There would be a lot of work involved due to the 2.5d nature of the graphics and the way there are limited mobile character types in the game, each of which require a lot of sprite designs.

The Chex wad, for example, takes about 4 meg at present so by the time you've added a few  other characters you are running out of space :( (as there is also the overhead of maintaining the character traits in ram too)

That said a dungeon crawler style game could work.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:49 AM, Welshworrier said:

There would be a lot of work involved due to the 2.5d nature of the graphics and the way there are limited mobile character types in the game, each of which require a lot of sprite designs.

The Chex wad, for example, takes about 4 meg at present so by the time you've added a few  other characters you are running out of space :( (as there is also the overhead of maintaining the character traits in ram too)

That said a dungeon crawler style game could work.

There is plenty of Doom1 specific content to use after all these years, never thought I'd see Chex Quest on the Jaguar. ?Well it would be like a version of Slayer, a remix of sorts. ;)

Went to look at King's Field again, yeah that one is much harder to covert, a lot more geometry to simplify into 2.5D and none of enemies are sprites unless somebody makes some. See a lot of rotating objects, need like the Jag port equivalent of Chasm: The Rift to make that happen.?

On 3/11/2021 at 3:37 AM, Hyper_Eye said:

Hexen and/or Heretic would scratch that itch well enough I think.

Aren't both just action FPS in fantasy scenarios? I am more thinking of an 3D RPG like Towers 2 or Slayer, but running on the more capable Doom engine and with better action.

Or like an 3D version of Rouge RPG "Kings of Edom".  

On 3/11/2021 at 2:55 AM, BladeJunker said:

There is plenty of Doom1 specific content to use after all these years, never thought I'd see Chex Quest on the Jaguar. ?Well it would be like a version of Slayer, a remix of sorts. ;)

Went to look at King's Field again, yeah that one is much harder to covert, a lot more geometry to simplify into 2.5D and none of enemies are sprites unless somebody makes some. See a lot of rotating objects, need like the Jag port equivalent of Chasm: The Rift to make that happen.?

Iam not talking about a conversion of Kings Field, but it would be realistic to design a similar game for the JagDoom engine. That would mean a 1st person 3D world like in Doom and sprites for objects.

So if the Lynx can pull it off, why not do something just as cool for the Jag? ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Iam not talking about a conversion of Kings Field, but it would be realistic to design a similar game for the JagDoom engine. That would mean a 1st person 3D world like in Doom and sprites for objects.

So if the Lynx can pull it off, why not do something just as cool for the Jag? ;-)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love King's Field on the Jag or any more dungeon FPS games. Just started saving up for a GameDrive so I can play Towers II, a good game that unfortunately has a rarity of 7 and costs too much compared to playing the genre elsewhere.? Pleased to see some of the other FPS games come up on AA. https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1112 Guess I could rip to the GameDrive from the CD maybe.

Me I was thinking of KF being directly ported, was imagining terrible prerendered GBA style sprites based on the PS1 models.? I quite like sprites or 2.5D games, should have had more on Jaguar and 3DO, also thought they weren't bad on SS and PS1 either for higher frame rate performance.

Been falling behind on my Lynx news, Silas looks cool. I got a Lynx about a year ago, unfortunately it had a cap related stroke after a week, but another to-do item for the ol' wallet heh. Lynx seems plenty capable of FPS games too. ;)

2 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

The "rarity" of Towers II is not really an issue because it's still in print. It's not cheap but a brand new copy can be ordered from Telegames here: http://www.telegames.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5427

Also, if you are patient, Songbird keeps stock of Towers II.  They sell out quickly but if you check in frequently you can get one from them.  Still an expensive game but it is available.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyper_Eye said:

The "rarity" of Towers II is not really an issue because it's still in print. It's not cheap but a brand new copy can be ordered from Telegames here: http://www.telegames.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5427

Thank you for that. ? Woo that is pricey, don't think that will lower it's rarity score any time soon. ?Nice it's still for sale but woo.?

3 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

Also, if you are patient, Songbird keeps stock of Towers II.  They sell out quickly but if you check in frequently you can get one from them.  Still an expensive game but it is available.

Good to know, a little closer to my HQ. :) Was just over at Songbird the other day, sale on Jaguar controller parts right now.

https://songbird-productions.com/product/jaguar-controller-parts/

23 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

That's awesome!  Interesting too that you did this in a few days, while that...other...group working on Heretic for the Jag still hasn't shown anybody a working model after how many years.

A few days... plus several months working on Slayer and Chex.  Its all built on other things learned during the project :)

• Like 7

Yep. It was done as a learning/test exercise to identify what needs to be done when getting assets across.

This allowed a few 'niggles' to be found e.g.  the hard coded palette in the source, the texture limitations (number of patches, sizes), how sprite frame management is really done etc.

Chex was much easier in comparison as it was closer to the vanilla Jag doom in implementation. Experience from this will feed back into slayer and Chex.

• Like 5

On 3/16/2021 at 6:47 AM, agradeneu said:

Anyone have the results .ZIP for Silly Venture 2019?

Possibly named"SVPK2K19.ZIP".

19 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

As a slight aside...

We've had a few days spare

That looks very promising. :) Thank you to everybody working on these conversions, great idea to try and leverage JagDoom for more. ? Forgot how many games used OG Doom engine, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and Chex Quest 1&2.

Not exactly Doom2 but just imagining some of the vast number of mods one could apply to the engine. Amazing how many other 2.5D FPS games have been remade in GZDoom and such.

https://batandy.itch.io/gz-pt Lol, was just talking about that demo that refuses to die no matter how much the company tries to squash it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got an oddball pie in the sky request if Doom Slayer Edition is going to include MOD music or CDA in any way, can it please have the ultimate Doom song that never got it's proper recognition?

I feel the mere inclusion of this song in Doom Slayer Edition will retroactively cause the Jaguar to be a success and all opposition to fizzle and pop in humiliation.

• Haha 1

There's currently a problem with one of the people involved being a very slack git. 

I've given myself a very good talking to and am aiming to get back onto it soon. 

(I had a light bulb moment with the instruments recently which will finally kill the music playback problems I've been encountering) 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5