IGNORED

Doom : Slayer Edition

Sporadic

What happened was that in March my job situation changed quite dramatically again and, after working on a laptop all day, it's a bit hard to focus on it. It's a bit more settled now. 

Last thing I did involved getting source to compile using the jagstudio binaries - it fully compiled but didn't run correctly, and needs investigating - it's going to be something simple no doubt. 

• Like 8

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, neogeo1982 said:

Any updates on this project? If you look on the Sega threads they got Jag Doom implemented into the 32X now. Just wondered if this project was still coming along on the Jag.

No more news at present unfortunately.

We've all been too busy with other things and life in general.

• Sad 2

It's funny how the console wars (i.e. fanboyism) from my childhood still grip me.  Reading the last few comments here, I find myself thinking, "I hope this comes out soon so we can show up the 32X!"  It really doesn't matter, or shouldn't matter, even slightly which version is better.  We're not even comparing contemporary achievements at this point, so what difference does it make?  But still I have that urge to see my Jaguar showing up the competition, nearly 30 years after either platform was relevant.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

It's funny how the console wars (i.e. fanboyism) from my childhood still grip me.  Reading the last few comments here, I find myself thinking, "I hope this comes out soon so we can show up the 32X!"  It really doesn't matter, or shouldn't matter, even slightly which version is better.  We're not even comparing contemporary achievements at this point, so what difference does it make?  But still I have that urge to see my Jaguar showing up the competition, nearly 30 years after either platform was relevant.

That exact feeling is why I bumped this after seeing the 32x videos.

What's the plan here anyway though? Are we going to be waiting until someone convinces MS to let Bethesda let Id license the content to the devs before we can play Doom with music? Never gonna happen IMHO. Or, can you just push the code and a build in its current state, maybe a script that copies the WAD in from the regular Doom cart to avoid copyright issues and let us play around with it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

What's the plan here anyway though? Are we going to be waiting until someone convinces MS to let Bethesda let Id license the content to the devs before we can play Doom with music? Never gonna happen IMHO. Or, can you just push the code and a build in its current state, maybe a script that copies the WAD in from the regular Doom cart to avoid copyright issues and let us play around with it?

Good point, what was the end game for this project? Anything based on the shareware demos or WADS without copyrighted data are saleable. But the music and assets are all copyrighted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

I don't think there's really an 'end' to these projects. They just keep getting refined like Doom32X Ressurection. A day or two after its public release it had a 1.1 update. And they're still going.

Yeah, like Prince of Persia for tge 8bits. Gets a release to the general public then the bugs are found.  Still need to try it out... and Kings of Edom.. and got 3 more games for the 5200.  Now to find time...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, like Prince of Persia for tge 8bits. Gets a release to the general public then the bugs are found.  Still need to try it out... and Kings of Edom.. and got 3 more games for the 5200.  Now to find time...

I am disappointed they couldn't get PoP to work on 64k machines. I don't want to mod my 600XL. 

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, neogeo1982 said:

Is there any part of this (music) we can put on our Game Drives?

Not at present. Aside from the issue that we're in the middle of a couple of large code and toolchain changes, there's also the legality of uploading the rom with assets etc.

Now, yes there are a few ways to potentially distribute what we've done so far but it's also no longer 100% compatible with the Jaguar assets. So we will also need to spend time sorting that out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sporadic said:

but it's also no longer 100% compatible with the Jaguar assets. So we will also need to spend time sorting that out.

Yes, instead of fumbling around in the dark making things work with the Jaguar version, we've taken the approach to make the builder version work with the PC format doom files.  In the long term, this opens up far more possibilities (especially when all the PC toolchains already exist) - also we've replaced the pathetic 'compression' with something better and faster (meaning more fits in a rom)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1