IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 3 - Vectron

*Intellivision HSC Season 11*

(Game 3)

Vectron

Mattel-Vectron.jpg

Vectron by Mattel Electronics 1982/3

Hungrees, G-spheres, splits, sweeps and prizums -- the nasties are out to stop you from building your energy bases.

vectron.gif

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21645/intellivision/Vectron-1982-Mattel.html

High Score Club Record

179,550 mr_me (new record entered)

Game Setting

PRESS DISC

Contest Ends
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 17TH 11:59PM EST

Emulator Bonus:

Scores limited to Emulation get [+3] Bonus

(Only emulation scores collect the bonus)

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 179,550 mr_me [+11] [+2 winner] [+2 new record]

2. 162,220 JacobZu7zu7 [+10]

3. 128,580 Bamse [+9] [+3]

4. 85,440 m-crew [+7]

5. 81,280 wolfy62 [+6]

6. 75,020 felson42 [+5] [+3]

7. 65,590 JasonlikesINTV [+4]

8. 43,110 dpisacane {+3]

9. 34,330 ClassicGMR [+2] [+3]

10. 15,760 mr_intv [+1]

11. 4,500 jblenke [+1] [+3]

Rankings

1. Bamse [35]

2. IntyfanMatt [24]

3. JacobZu7zu7 [23]

4. felson42 [18]

5. m-crew [15]

6. JasonlikesINTV [12]

6. dpisacane [12]

8. wolfy62 [8]

9. Mister-VCS [6]

10. ClassicGMR [5]

11. jblenke [2]

11. mr_intv [2]

13. bugcatcher88 [1]

13. S.BAZ [1]

Games Won

2 - Bamse (Shark! Shark! Beauty & the Beast)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Sorry a bit late starting Vectron Game 3.

2 extra days added, and this game ends Tuesday night just before midnight Eastern time zone. 1 player, Disc start.

Vectron has never been played at the HSC,

Game tips:,

This game is a lot less complicated then it seems, the manual has a lot of good info in it.

Here's the basics,

To advance levels in this Vectron game... you need to complete the block pattern, without getting them destroyed in anyway.

Kill nasties, (the stuff on the screen) to stop them from breaking your blocks. The swirling red planet I think is more a nuisance and work around it.

Break open the Orange energy bar as soon as you can, and swing over it,.... it replenishes your health if still orange,

nasties touch it before you, will ruin the benefits and turn the bar green (you can still collect it)

During play;

Hold side button down the whole time, left for left, right for right (enables free moving), and just tap the disc to shoot where you need to. Your shots go in the direction of where you press the Disc, holding down disc shortens the shots. 

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

I have no clue what I'm doing. It feels like the controls are off - I can only shoot in 8 directions but it looks like some of the shots should use all 16. Example: I kept firing above the square when it's at the bottom of the grid and couldn't hit it at all.

Time to go visit YouTube and see how this game is supposed to be played. (Or I just am REALLY bad at this ?) Might have to get the INTV II out of the closet for this one!

vectron.png

17 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Yeah i highly recommend real hardware on this one, better control.

I just went through a quick video search and yes - the real hardware will be needed to do anything in this game. Emulation only plays out using 8 directions even with my vision-daptor. Vectron needs all 16 directions to get the angled shots for building bases. This game feels like an early advertisement from Mattel that says "Look at our 16-way controller! Horrible game but look at what we can do!" ???

17 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Jacob, did you pick this game just so you can win?  ?.  Kidding with ya.  

This game was mentioned twice.

- Vectron (perennially hated, but great for people shooting for scores)

- I've never played much Safecracker, Microsurgeon, Vectron, or Tron Solar Sailor. So those would be a nice step out of my comfort zone.

and, I wanted some blasting games which haven't been played yet. I feel Vectron if given some time, is a very addicting "Tetris" type game. I'm surprised its not popular.

2 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

This game was mentioned twice.

- Vectron (perennially hated, but great for people shooting for scores)

- I've never played much Safecracker, Microsurgeon, Vectron, or Tron Solar Sailor. So those would be a nice step out of my comfort zone.

and, I wanted some blasting games which haven't been played yet. I feel Vectron if given some time, is a very addicting "Tetris" type game. I'm surprised its not popular.

Yeah, Vectron is definitely not a popular Inty title.  It's universally known as one of the most confusing and hated games on the system.  But I know there are a few people that like it.  To each his own!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yeah, Vectron is definitely not a popular Inty title.  It's universally known as one of the most confusing and hated games on the system.  But I know there are a few people that like it.  To each his own!

Ice Trek seems to have a good reputation but is a worse game overall, IMHO. I do like Ice Trek in a way, but the first level is like a broken Odyssey 2 game.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, ClassicGMR said:

... Emulation only plays out using 8 directions even with my vision-daptor. Vectron needs all 16 directions to get the angled shots for building bases. ... ???

Nostalgia emulator supports 16 directions with analog input.  Assuming you're using an intellivision controller with vision-dapter, it should map 16 disc directions to analog input.  You must have something set wrong.

Vectron uses the lower seven of the 16 directions.  Here's the instructions.

http://www.beeslife.com/intvlibrary/Games/Manuals/vectron/gallery.php

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Impressive scores wolfy, Bamse. :)

A tip to the yellow flying discs on level 4,... (stay away from upper left, and upper right areas) A collision with a yellow flying thing, will cause instant death to your home base. So break them right away into two red pieces with fire power from the D-pad. Bust open and fly over the Orange Bar to destroy them again to finish your blocks. The orange bar is important, to restoring all health and to become invincibile ...for a little while.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 6:49 PM, mr_me said:

Nostalgia emulator supports 16 directions with analog input.  Assuming you're using an intellivision controller with vision-dapter, it should map 16 disc directions to analog input.  You must have something set wrong.

After reading this and looking into it I changed over to jzintv and used the keyboard hack file for it. Works perfectly. I actually completed my first Vectron level testing it out. I think I'm actually going to switch over permanently to jzintv since it's already working! :)

Nostalgia works fine with analog input, and I just have default settings.  Nostalgia runs slightly fast and you can't adjust the aspect ratio like you can with Jzintv.  Actually you can't adjust the aspect ratio with Jzintv either it just stretches the pixels to match the specified resolution.  Anyway these are my scores done today using an original intellivision controller with the Retronic Design USB adaptor.

vectron3.thumb.png.f92a03edf1930f61da836340399abf80.pngvectron2.thumb.png.620b4ca599bcc114e9a62ec06bf6837a.png

Yeah frustrating game. Even with good controls!! ?

EDIT: That stupid thing that blocks your shots is a ridiculous and unnecessary addition to the game. It's a pain to begin with! I doubt I'll ever see the 4th board. I can barely clear the 2nd and move to the 3rd. But I'll try it again later. :)

vectron.png

Edited by ClassicGMR
more whininess :)
  • Like 1