IGNORED

Saucer Wars Now Available For Order

WAVE 1 GAMES

Canceled? Well, that blows.

Been playing SW on this green cart the last few days. Have to say, my "skills" are waning... or I got lazy with the infinite health hack of the ROM. I can't get past wave 2 but it's fun to turn on for some satisfying ufo destruction :)

Hope to see more of something soon. Still think you should finish the others bc Saucer Wars is a hell of an achievement imo. Either way, I wish you more success in whatever you take on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saturn said:

Canceled? Well, that blows.

Been playing SW on this green cart the last few days. Have to say, my "skills" are waning... or I got lazy with the infinite health hack of the ROM. I can't get past wave 2 but it's fun to turn on for some satisfying ufo destruction :)

Hope to see more of something soon. Still think you should finish the others bc Saucer Wars is a hell of an achievement imo. Either way, I wish you more success in whatever you take on.

Oh when I say canceled I am saying they are canceled for now. I just need to take a little break from development, but I will still be around and hopefully able to bring some of those lost treasures I spoke about into fruition. Shark Byte was about 50% done and JagZombies II was already in proof of concept state as a walk around FPS, so I most likely will pick those 2 back up. I just don't know when. And yes I said FPS (walking around on an actual map) not gallery style shooter. I can't guarantee anything on JagBOXING as all I had done for it was the sprites for the fighters.  You are correct in that Saucer Wars was one hell of an achievement, I loved every moment of working on it. I also liked the feedback given by you and others, without it the whole thing wouldn't have been possible. It was the most fun I have had since I made Fast Food 64 (My first game, not my second.) I think the story that Jason Greene worked up really fits the world of the game as well and his artwork was exactly what I was looking for. The only reason why I need a little break from the dev stuff is because I'm a little burned out. Contrary to some people claiming the game is a 10 minute re-skin of Fast Food I actually worked on this everyday for months on end. There was even a 2 week vacation I took from work where I stayed locked in the garage everyday hammering away at it. I didn't even sleep some of those days. But it was all worth it! If I remember correctly those 2 weeks I was trying to get the parallax to work correctly. It is not as easy as you would think. lol. But as long as I am creating content that people can enjoy and I am adding fun new games to the Jaguar's Library it is all worth it! Thank you for your kind words Saturn, good luck beating the Queen!

• Like 1

ATTENTION ATARI JAGUAR FANS!

There is a special SAUCER WARS promotion THIS WEEKEND ONLY exclusively on the WAVE 1 GAMES website. If you buy SAUCER WARS on cartridge or JAGUAR CD You can pick a FREE Jaguar CD game of your choice, OR a FREE Atari Jaguar T-Shirt, the choice is yours but HURRY offer ends 10-7-2019!

Click the link below for this OUT OF THIS WORLD DEAL!

http://www.wave1games.net/saucer-wars

If you have any questions regarding this promotion please feel free to reach out to us directly!

1607666724_freegames.PNG.2f9966db8f655aac631f75ef0230f3a0.PNG

ants.png.26868d0c17cbcef6d0e5b20b774742b2.pngholiday.png.da7a3e23a1c5a4600e6446bd4aa09680.pngjagzombies.png.c2d0c0da4bb9810cd4788125ba91bdcb.pngT.png.d12cbd44a1b211b32644bfa3c19bb7cf.png

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 2

Hello folks, last weekend we ran a special for Saucer Wars where if you buy the game (Full boxed, Jag CD, or cart only) at special sale price, you could get a FREE Jaguar CD game of your choice or an Atari Jaguar T Shirt! The promotion went over very well and we have decided to add a NEW page to our website called JAGDEALS! Every month we will offer a different, new and exciting deal! For the month of October we have decided to continue to run the Saucer Wars promotion as well as a second promotion where if you buy JagZombies (Full boxed, Jag CD or Cart only) at special sale price you can snag yourself a FREE Jaguar T-Shirt! Visit the link below to check out JAGDEALS! Now go grab yourselves some FREE GAMES and remember to check back every month for a NEW deal!

http://wave1games.net/jagdeals

Good afternoon folks,

I am pleased to announce that although I will not be attending PRGE this year, Saucer Wars will be available to play at 2 tables at this years eJagfest! That's right 2 people will be showing off the game not just 1! I encourage everyone who will be attending this event to give the game a go and form your own opinions rather than believe hatred and profanity infused video reviews. I won't reveal here who the 2 people are that will be showing the game, but if you are privileged enough to attend the event, you won't be able to miss them! The comic book will also be available to see firsthand. I do hope everyone has a great time at the event and I look forward to hearing your impressions of the game!

To everyone else, don't forget to check out our JagDeals page and have a great weekend

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/17/2019 at 6:30 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

I encourage everyone who will be attending this event to give the game a go and form your own opinions rather than believe hatred and profanity infused video reviews.

There's nothing wrong with asking people to try your game at a convention (of course).  And is even a good idea, presuming it's as good as you feel.

I would suggest attacking a reviewer does nothing to help your cause, though.  It may even drive more people to check out @Andrew Rosa's review.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

There's nothing wrong with asking people to try your game at a convention (of course).  And is even a good idea, presuming it's as good as you feel.

I would suggest attacking a reviewer does nothing to help your cause, though.  It may even drive more people to check out @Andrew Rosa's review.  

Point well taken, however I don't feel I have "attacked" the said reviewer at all.  In fact my message was very positive. I simply said people should try it out for themselves and not pass judgement based on a single man's review. I also didn't state any untruths in my post, the video is hateful and infused with over the top profanity. I also made no reference as to WHO I was talking about as you just did in your post.

It's all good

?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Point well taken, however I don't feel I have "attacked" the said reviewer at all.  In fact my message was very positive. I simply said people should try it out for themselves and not pass judgement based on a single man's review. I also didn't state any untruths in my post, the video is hateful and infused with over the top profanity. I also made no reference as to WHO I was talking about as you just did in your post.

It's all good

?

If you were only emphasizing whatever positive comments out there you could find then there would be no issue, that's part of marketing (take Bubsy 3D's "Gold X Award" for example). While you are indeed doing that by linking Second Opinion Games' review whenever possible, you've also chosen to drag a reviewer who found flaws in your game through the mud. Now we have a problem.

I also made no reference as to WHO I was talking about as you just did in your post.

Allow me, since everyone knows you're referring to Master-Cast's review anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lZRlgdD7x8

Since then you've:

• Posted your "ONLY public response" on FB.
  • You further commented by replying to other posts and comment chains (whether or not you started those chains is irrelevant - by commenting yourself, you are commenting publicly).
  • You've made passive-aggressive comments like the one above.
  • You've posted vague legal threats of dubious legitimacy elsewhere... for some reason?

You're still making comments and it's been A MONTH since Andrew Rosa's review so clearly you DO feel attacked or at the very least it's still in the forefront of your mind, otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing it up.

You attempt to dismiss Andrew's review as "hatred and profanity infused" and you frame the situation as if he only disliked the game because of some personal issue with you:

I did hope that you would be able to look past your hatred for me and at least try and allow yourself to enjoy the game.

Maybe you thought you could fool someone that only saw his Saucer Wars review and none of his prior reviews, but let's give it some context:

Master-Cast Reviews

JagZombieshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmqKzehIdA

JagZombies (Uncut): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_uwb57JAbI

With these previous reviews in mind it should be clear to anyone with half a brain that his problem isn't with YOU, it's the fact that you keep repeating the same mistakes. You've had plenty of chances to improve by now and have had plenty of people trying to help. Andrew didn't raise his voice or swear in his JagZombies review. In fact, he gave you the benefit of the doubt by taking your comments into consideration and again by reviewing multiple revisions of the game! As he says at 7:30, the copy of the game he bought wouldn't work at all, then the copy in his original review was a revision you sent him, then the third and final version you sent was what he covered in the "uncut" review to give you one more chance! Imagine if someone bought the game and you didn't know they had a YouTube channel. You wouldn't have had the chance to try and explain yourself and send revisions to them. They just would've posted a review of that first cart that wouldn't boot!

If he had said your game was "Fucking Great!" would you still be so bothered by that spooooky f-word?

Since you're acting like this negative review was biased, let's take a look at another review shall we? You don't seem to be calling anyone's attention to these.

Video Game Critic Reviews 

Saucer Wars (D- rating): https://videogamecritic.com/jaguarsz.htm?e=99031#rev5198

JagZombies: (F rating): https://videogamecritic.com/jaguarfl.htm?e=99031#rev5199

He doesn't seem to have a high opinion of the game either. Does he also have some bias against you that we're unaware of? I wonder if Second Opinion Games would have been a bit less forgiving if he had to fork out $80 of his hard-earned dollars for it rather than being sent a review copy for free. I like that guy too, I discovered his channel when he was just a few videos in. It was refreshing to see someone posting positive reviews of game's like Club Drive to hear a different perspective from the "Jaguar was all crap" opinion a lot of people have... but again, if you take his previous reviews as context, earning that guy's praise doesn't take much. He's posted 250+ videos and reviewed the entire Jag library. I've can count the games he's spoken negatively of on one hand. 

Lastly I'd like to make something very clear about myself. I came into this community without a side, without friends, without enemies. I didn't know that there were warring cliques out there (and frankly I didn't - and don't - give a shit). I intended on being a passive observer and figured my fascination with this strange, obscure console would subside within a week or two. Then I started reading stuff that made me feel opinionated enough to want to create and account and type up my thoughts... which was Frogz 64 and the community's reaction to its many flaws OVER 2 YEARS AGO (jesus it's been that long already?)

As I said back then:

I'll simply state that behavior like Jeff's should be universally condemned in ANY gaming community. If you follow these Jaguar forums including the programming subforums, you know what I'm talking about and have seen enough shady actions to establish a pattern by now. Hopefully he'll improve over time, but the way he blatantly lies and remains defiant in the face of legitimate criticism makes me think otherwise, as these behaviors tend to be consistent with those that are set in their ways.

Your reaction was to accuse me of being an alt account of someone that "had a personal issue with you"... sounds familiar doesn't it?

Thats so believable. Lets create an Atari Age account because I just have to speak up. Nice one. Probably Thom

The world isn't against you, man. People want to see you succeed so that this homebrew community succeeds. They're just frustrated because you keep making the same mistakes and deflecting criticism.

Suppose someone spends $80 of their hard-earned money on a homebrew Jag game they saw that looked cool but were disappointed by it being full of bugs, very short, and/or very boring. If they look online and only see positive reviews they're going to think "oh I guess this is as good as homebrew gets on the Jag." They aren't going to buy any more Jag games. They're going to miss out on games that were well-made passion projects from competent developers, games that deliver a fun and deep experience. On the other hand, if they look online and see people talking about how the game sucks mentioning all the flaws they noticed themselves, perhaps they'd give some other game another shot. Communities like this need reviewers like Master-Cast and Video Game Critic that aren't shy about voicing their disappointment and anger when warranted... Otherwise, the community will slowly die off.

Edited by Buffalo Biff Burgertime
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

If you were only emphasizing whatever positive comments out there you could find then there would be no issue, that's part of marketing (take Bubsy 3D's "Gold X Award" for example). While you are indeed doing that by linking Second Opinion Games' review whenever possible, you've also chosen to drag a reviewer who found flaws in your game through the mud. Now we have a problem.

Allow me, since everyone knows you're referring to Master-Cast's review anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lZRlgdD7x8

Since then you've:

• Posted your "ONLY public response" to on FB.
  • You made further commented by replying to other posts and comment chains (whether or not you started those chains is irrelevant - by commenting yourself, you are commenting publicly).
  • You've made passive-aggressive comments like you did above
  • You've posted vague legal threats of dubious legitimacy elsewhere... for some reason?

You're still making comments WEEKS after Andrew Rosa's review so clearly you DO feel attacked or at the very least it's still in the forefront of your mind, otherwise you wouldn't keep bringing it up  weeks later.

You attempt to dismiss Andrew's review as "hatred and profanity infused" and you frame the situation as if he only disliked the game because of some personal issue with you:

Maybe you thought you could fool some people that ONLY saw his Saucer Wars review and no other videos, but let's give it some context:

Master-Cast Reviews

JagZombieshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmqKzehIdA

JagZombies (Uncut): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_uwb57JAbI

With these previous reviews in mind it should be clear to anyone with half a brain that his problem isn't with YOU, it's the fact that you keep repeating the same mistakes. You've had plenty of chances to improve by now and have had plenty of people trying to help. Andrew didn't raise his voice or swear in his JagZombies review. In fact, he gave you the benefit of the doubt by taking your comments to him into consideration and again by reviewing multiple revisions of the game! As he says at 7:30, the copy of the game he bought wouldn't work at all, the copy in his original review was a revision you sent him, and the third and final version you sent was what he covered in the "uncut" review to give you one more chance! Imagine if someone bought the game that you didn't know had a YouTube channel, someone you didn't establish communication with. They would've posted a review of that first cart that wouldn't boot!

If he had said your game was "Fucking Great!" would you still be so bothered by that spooky f-word?

Since you're acting like this negative review was biased, let's take a look at another review shall we? You don't seem to be calling anyone's attention to these ones.

Video Game Critic Reviews 

Saucer Wars (D- rating): https://videogamecritic.com/jaguarsz.htm?e=99031#rev5198

JagZombies: (F rating): https://videogamecritic.com/jaguarfl.htm?e=99031#rev5199

He doesn't seem to have a high opinion of the game either. Does he also have some bias against you that we're unaware of? I wonder if Second Opinion Games would have been a bit less forgiving if he had to fork out $80 of his hard-earned dollars for it rather than being sent a review copy for free. I like that guy too, I discovered his channel when he was just a few videos in. It was refreshing to see someone posting positive reviews of game's like Club Drive to hear a different perspective from the "Jaguar was all crap" opinion a lot of people have... but again, if you take his previous reviews as context, earning that guy's praise doesn't take much. He's posted 250+ videos and reviewed the entire Jag library. I've can count the games he's spoken negatively of on one hand. 

Lastly I'd like to make something very clear about myself. I came into this community without a side, without friends, without enemies. I didn't know that there were warring cliques out there. I intended on being a passive observer and figured my fascination with this strange, obscure console would subside within a week or two. Then, something made me feel strongly enough to want to create and account and type up my thoughts... Frogz 64 and the community's reaction to its many flaws OVER 2 YEARS AGO (jesus it's been that long already?)

As I said back then:

Your reaction was to accuse me of being an alt account of someone that "had a personal issue with you"... sounds familiar doesn't it?

The world isn't against you, man. People want to see you succeed so that the homebrew community succeeds. They're just frustrated because you keep making the same mistakes and deflecting criticism.

There is no fooling. no trickery. You are promoting his hateful video as well. Because let's face it, you think it's FACT. Sadly I'm affraid no matter how many swear words he uses, his opinions do not become fact simply because he used big boy words.

How about this?

Hi Jeffrey, I thought I would provide my feedback and thoughts on saucer wars. As someone who has never purchased a game of yours before and I know nothing about the Jaguar drama that happened, completely 3rd party feedback here. I finally got to play it this weekend. The packaging is cool, it comes with a controller overlay, the comic was a neat additions, all in all it felt like opening a game back in the day with all kinds of goodies. Good stuff. The opening scene is cool, I just wish I could skip it as after watching it 3 times I hate waiting for it, just being honest. The game itself though is not as bad as people were making it out to be. It seems to me and I could be wrong but you were going for a classic arcade experience that isn't high thrills but more arcade action like asteroids or defender or something like that. The furthest I made it was stage 3 so I know I need to practice more. I love the explosion sounds and was aiming to beat my high scores. I had fun to put it plainly. Like, not going to lie, its not the greatest game ever made but its far from "crap". It got progressively harder and the different enemies certainly started whooping my ass, lol. I once asked you what the difference between the cartridge and the cd was and you said the cartridge saved high scores however when I turn the game off and back on, my high score is not saved. That would have been a cool feature as the main point of the game seems score and how far you make it. It would have also been neat to have a powerup of some sort or a different weapon just for variety. 2 minor suggestions. But yeah, after listening to the review I can say that he has some legit complaints but he also is way overboard with some of his complaints. its not crap, its not garbage, the hit detection seems fine, the levels get increasingly more difficult with different varieties of enemies from what I could tell, the comic isn't garbage or terrible as he made it out to be. Its a neat little extra that was completely unnecessary but adds some fun to the game. The music is a little repetitive but I don't really get hung up on music, im so busy playing and shooting. Overall, I would recommend the game to someone if they asked for my opinion. Nice work and I look forward to seeing your future creations. Cheers!

That's an actual customer.

The bottom line is I was attacked. He was ACTING. and anyone with half a brain can tell that. "I'm held hostage for 30 seconds reading text.." Like really dude? Look at you right here right now trying to validate that hateful misleading video. If you scroll up you will see that the majority of the people who have been in this thread have had positive things to say about the game, and they have also played it. I only know one person who described it as a "painful experience" I mean the guy sounded like he was getting teeth pulled. That is over the top nonsense and BS acting. You know it. I know it and everyone else knows it. This is why I encouraged people to play the game and form their own opinions instead of jumping on that hatred train and believing this one man's "review" as the go to source for the "truth" about the game. Saucer Wars wasn't rushed. It's not garbage. It's not crap. It's not broken.

ALSO Second Opinion Games did not say the game was "buuuuuug free" He said the following: "In the past this developer has had games that were riddled with bugs, so I tried to break the game over and over by pressing all kinds of buttons and stuff. And you know what? the playtesters this time around did their job. I couldn't find anything buggy going on"

that is what he said

But I guess all of my playtesters were just lying to me, the guy who bought the game that I shared his feedback above was also lying too right? Because people don't improve? If I made one crappy game then they will ALL be crappy always correct? My skills can't improve it's just impossible cause Andy Rosa said so.

The review is misleading, hateful and over exaggerated.

Or what about this review? Don't let the title fool you, as it is also a very positive review.

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Biff Burgertime said:

The world isn't against you, man. People want to see you succeed so that this homebrew community succeeds. They're just frustrated because you keep making the same mistakes and deflecting criticism.

and THIS is a lie. If this were true this video wouldn't keep getting spammed everywhere. THAT is also marketing. But not for me. That would be for your boy who just "liked" your comment above.

(notices AtariAge and Reboot games flashed all throughout "review video", rolls eyes and laughs)

edit---> also no. You don't get to call that "review" criticism and say I'm just deflecting criticism, NO that's not what that was. There was criticism in the feedback from the customer I shared. He also expressed issues with the game. There has been plenty of legitimate criticism. No no no. That video was straight hatred and over the top ACTING.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

8 minutes ago, phoenixdownita said:

I took it he's mad cause in his opinion he wasted 2H (his words) that he can never get back, so even if you tried to make amends he did not appreciate the effort and he obviously doesn't think the product is worth his time.

Why did you send the game in the first place?

I was actually just trying to be nice. I wanted to share with him how far I had come since JagZombies. I didn't even really want him to review the damn thing. I said some stuff about him in the past in other groups (guilty) and have since apologized and I figured it would be a nice gesture and good luck for me moving forward, water under the bridge good karma type thing. Boy was I wrong. So in reality it's my own damn fault for sending him the game in the first place. And for that I will never forgive myself. And I'm sorry but I'm not playing SHIT for 2 hours and not having some kind of fun with it. He spent 2 hours playing and wasn't able to get past level 4..... gee... wonder why? Because it's challenging? No couldn't have possibly been that. 

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

...wrt to the Italian video review you linked it's not negative but to be fair not entirely positive either.

The guy states that the quality of your games is slowly increasing and they are not perfect, but he personally finds them fun and trashy and absurd and he likes that absurdity of the themes. He also makes sure to qualify his judgment that his appreciation comes from the games being originals and "one man band" efforts so he praises this solitary developer aspect.

Note that trashy in Italian is used to mean "low quality but intriguing nonetheless".

BTW they noticed how the sun rises in wave2 ... 

Just now, phoenixdownita said:

BTW they notice how the sun rises in wave2 ... 

Thank fucking God somebody noticed that small detail. I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that. That was actually Clint's idea not mine. There was also supposed to be a silhouette of a hawk or a bald eagle flying in the background for the desert level but I could never get it to look right.

And although I don't speak Italian, I DO speak fluent Spanish and am able to follow along and understand most parts of the video because of the similarities in the two languages.

And yes the Italians have a strange way of looking at things and they use strange slang.

16 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

And yes the Italians have a strange way of looking at things and they use strange slang.

The closest English translation of Italians using the English word "trashy" is actually something in between kitsch and campy and when intended I guess it equates to "it's so bad that it is good" kind of a deal, so it is not a negative per se. At any rate that's his opinion and how he phrases it, I do speak fluent Italian, don't read too much in it he intended it as a positive for sure and it relates to the artwork, theme, graphic style and music choices and not to any perceived bugs/coding, he uses the exact same word to describe the included comic book again as a praise and he's definitely talking about the art style.

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Any chance you will be bringing SW to PRGE 2020? I plan on attending and would really like to play it! I missed out this year and was unable to see Hancock's genny fullset or view any of the MJR crew presentations. Oh well, there is next year. 

Unfortunately I don't think I will be attending that one either. I have a deep fear of flying and I live on the East Coast. I will be bringing the game to the Carolina Gaming Summit in February however.

18 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

The closest English translation of Italians using the English word "trashy" is actually something in between kitsch and campy and when intended I guess it equates to "it's so bad that it is good" kind of a deal, so it is not a negative per se. At any rate that's his opinion and how he phrases it, I do speak fluent Italian, don't read too much in it he intended it as a positive for sure and it relates to the artwork, theme, graphic style and music choices and not to any perceived bugs/coding, he uses the exact same word to describe the included comic book again as a praise and he's definitely talking about the art style.

Speaking of Italians, I just visited the World Of Coca Cola Museum today in Atlanta Georgia ( in addition to being a burger fanatic I am also a fanatic of Coca Cola, it's all I drink) and I tasted the Italian exclusive soda BEVERLY. Everyone warned me it was the nastiest drink there.

To be honest, I didn't think it was that bad. I could see myself drinking it with a steak dinner or some sort of really heavy meal, but not just drinking it by itself. The drink has an alka seltzer like after taste which is probably what turns most people off.

So yeah those Italians are an odd bunch.

Lol

20191026_123831.jpg

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES