IGNORED

FINALLY- SNES games on Nintendo Switch Online!

digdugnate

Well good, then those specs about a SNES controller for Switch weren't fakes.

Those I could see actual value in buying given the added 4 buttons and comfort they have too.  Great for any game that analog isn't required where people grip the d-pad isn't comfortable on the stock setup.

Since they love to soup up stuff, love to see them overdrive the frame rate on Stunt Race FX like those hacks you find do as the game is so smooth and fun when it runs at a fast framerate.

• Like 1

I was on vacation yesterday so spent a good part of the day playing through some of the games.  Although I feel like a couple of the game choices were a little strange, it's a really good set that plays really well.  If anything, I don't play these games as well as I did as a teenager when they came out. ;)

For what it's worth, you can now hide the control overlay and sort the games on the NES games just like the SNES ones; this was a welcome change.  I'd still like the ability to 'hide' the SP versions of the NES games and remove the bars/etc on the screen, but these are pretty minor picky things on my part.

21 hours ago, Lost Monkey said:

I found I was getting killed missing jumps on enemy heads and falling off the end of platforms in Super Mario World.  I am thinking it is because of input lag?  Not really familiar with how to recognize it though.  Playing on a cheapo Haier 50" through HDMI.

Usually LCD TVs allow you to choose between several presets of parameters for visual filters, and the 'video games' one typically deactivates most of them to have minimal input lag. That being said, not all TVs are equal in terms of input lag.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:54 AM, Lost Monkey said:

I found I was getting killed missing jumps on enemy heads and falling off the end of platforms in Super Mario World.  I am thinking it is because of input lag?  Not really familiar with how to recognize it though.  Playing on a cheapo Haier 50" through HDMI.

I finally got around to trying out the SNES games and yeah I had lag too. Once I used game mode on my tv it was fine.

I also tried out Stunt Race and it felt like the same speed. Which im ok with. I thought the game was amazing in the 90s and I still enjoy it today.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:54 AM, Lost Monkey said:

i noticed this too but i haven't had a chance to dink with my tv- i probably will this afternoon.

edit to add: i adjusted my TV as well, and it TOTALLY made a difference.  I cruised through Lemmy's castle- I was missing jumps ALL THE TIME until I changed the settings on my tv.

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it myself.

I have been enjoying the hell out of the SNES titles since this dropped last week. There are a few on here I've never given much attention to that I'm really enjoying, like Breath of Fire, Joe & Mac 2, and Demon's Crest. I've been playing with my Hori D-Pad Joycon in portable mode, and Super Mario World plays as well as it did on my SNES. Still haven't tried it docked with my SN30 Pro on my old Panasonic plasma in the game room, which I'll do soon (game room is being gutted and re-organized right now).

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, Lost Monkey said:

Well that's what the Rewind function is for! :lol: Makes input lag inconsequential and never miss a single jump again.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:21 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

I also tried out Stunt Race and it felt like the same speed. Which im ok with. I thought the game was amazing in the 90s and I still enjoy it today.

fwiw if you weren't aware the SD2SNES has a setting for "Fast" SuperFX support which is fun to play with, getting Star Fox and StuntraceFX  sped up a little which makes them more fun I think. :)

1499286668_2019-09-0911_05_13.thumb.jpg.a4afe90a0bc93e1649e05addec41e815.jpg