IGNORED

Jawbreaker I and II and SGM sticker?

Swami

It was not clear to me if the SGM is for sound on this game.  I got the impression that an earlier version did not have sound?  I assume the one being sold now in the combo cart has both music and sound?  I was looking for an review to confirm that, Swami, do you own the combo cart now being sold by Collectorvision?  Does it indeed have proper music and sound?  The introductory video on the Collectorvision seemed inconclusive to me as it seemed to have a sound track for the video but didn't make it clear to me if the game had sound.

Jawbreaker II was initially made for the MSX for MSXdev competation https://www.msxdev.org/msxdev-archive/msxdev14/.

When the developer ported to the Colecovision, he didn't know how to get sound and music working since they were use for the MSX sound chip and not compatible with Colecovision's sound chip.  So Collectorvision decided produced boxed version of that game.  Later on, I believe some of the programmer helped him with getting the music working with the MSX sound chip so he doesn't have to convert it to Colecovision sound chip.  So he got it working and added Jawbreaker to Jawbreaker 2.  So that release needed the SGM for the sound and music. 

4 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Jawbreaker II was initially made for the MSX for MSXdev competation https://www.msxdev.org/msxdev-archive/msxdev14/.

When the developer ported to the Colecovision, he didn't know how to get sound and music working since they were use for the MSX sound chip and not compatible with Colecovision's sound chip.  So Collectorvision decided produced boxed version of that game.  Later on, I believe some of the programmer helped him with getting the music working with the MSX sound chip so he doesn't have to convert it to Colecovision sound chip.  So he got it working and added Jawbreaker to Jawbreaker 2.  So that release needed the SGM for the sound and music. 

Okay. It says it is required on this Collectorvision page, but the ever-present icon is missing from the box, while it is on this other one I found on the web. Looks like maybe they left it off the box production and decided to add the sticker afterwards.

5 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

It was not clear to me if the SGM is for sound on this game.  I got the impression that an earlier version did not have sound?  I assume the one being sold now in the combo cart has both music and sound?  I was looking for an review to confirm that, Swami, do you own the combo cart now being sold by Collectorvision?  Does it indeed have proper music and sound?  The introductory video on the Collectorvision seemed inconclusive to me as it seemed to have a sound track for the video but didn't make it clear to me if the game had sound.

No, I don't own a combo cart, but was interested in it. It does have music and sound. The Jawbreaker II only version is missing sound. This combo also has an Atari 2600 - like version included with only 4 rungs along with Jawbreaker II which has 8.

I think I got the 2600 (1) vs msx (2) versions backwards, BTW. 2600 version came first in 1982 with 8 rungs and ports to C64 and Atari 8bit computers came soon after with 5 rungs called jawbreaker 2. So the msx port of the game is the jawbreaker 2 version with 5 rungs. The 2600 version was a simplified “port” of a 1981 pac man clone also called jawbreaker. All paths were changed to horizontal for the 2600 from the typical maze of the pac man clone.