IGNORED

TIPI Installation Screw Up

Fonzie

Yep, I am pretty sure I connected the PI and TIPI cables to the wrong pins and screwed things up. I had Tipi for nearly a year and a half but hadn’t installed it because I felt intimidated. I am the furthest person from a geek you could find, never burned an image, never used linux etc. But yesterday I got the courage up, gathered everything needed and …failed miserably. How could that happen? Here's how. I orientated both boards flat side-by side, Pi on the left, Tipi on the right and proceeded to hook the 5-pin cables up.

Instructions said one set of cables was blue the other purple (my cables however were multi-colored). But I knew that wouldn’t matter as long as I oriented them correctly. So, thinking the long bar in the Tipi illustration represented the right edge of the board I dutifully connect the cables to the 10-pin connector, one cable set from the outer set of pins from the Tipi to the inner 5 pins on the PI and the 2nd cable from inner to outer pins as shown in the drawing. I powered up the PI and waited fully 2 minutes to be sure it had booted. Then I turned on my console went to TI Basic, typed CALL TIPI  and waited and waited and well you got the picture. Nothing happened on screen. After a good while I powered off the PI (no way to shut it down except to power off ) and console and figured I must have done something wrong…again.

After a good deal of thought it dawned on me the illustration of Tipi was an end view (the connector at the end opposite the led) not a top view like the PI next to it as I originally thought. Too late, damage done but what could it hurt to hook the cables to the end connector and try again anyway, which I did with the same result.

Now the question(s), how much damage did I do? Can it be repaired? I am assuming the Tipi needs repair. Has the PI itself been damaged or the micro sd and its image?

How to proceed? I do have an authentic TL866II burner that I have never used other that periodically updating it successfully. But, given my lack of confidence and goof history, its use would be a tough go.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

The tipi side holds no danger only the pi side has power in the wrong side.

If you plugged into the wrong side of the pi then it damaged the tipi.

The tipi pi connection is to the back side of the pi header. Closest to the Ethernet connector.

Gregfea8c2bdd5c7c22c4b8b009e7a121647.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

28afaf7d416dab0998bce98fe8a5ab00.jpg

Good news, I did NOT plug into the wrong side of the pi but I did connect cables from the pi to the Tipi 10-pin connector by the led and powered up. Whether this is a 2nd way to destroy the cpld I don’t know. Still no joy. Correctly connecting cables, reflashing the sd and repeating the install sequence several times still leaves the TI hanging at the CALL TIPI entry. I do hear the triple tone each time The TI main screen appears if that helps.

Any further ideas? Should I purchase another cpld and try again?

Good news, I did NOT plug into the wrong side of the pi but I did connect cables from the pi to the Tipi 10-pin connector by the led and powered up. Whether this is a 2nd way to destroy the cpld I don’t know. Still no joy. Correctly connecting cables, reflashing the sd and repeating the install sequence several times still leaves the TI hanging at the CALL TIPI entry. I do hear the triple tone each time The TI main screen appears if that helps.

Any further ideas? Should I purchase another cpld and try again?

Tripple tone is a good sign.

If you only plugged in to the correct side of the pi then there is no way to blow up the cpld. Pretty sure you wouldn't get the tripple beep if the tipi was fried.

Odds are you just haven't connected it correctly. Do this.. mark one side of each connector with a black marker.

Connect cable 1 to the pi and then you can match up the orientation on the tipi side using your mark.. then repeat with the cable 2.

also the pi needs to be booted with the SD card image for tipi. I can't remember if you got one from me..

Greg

Yes, circled connector is exactly where I plugged in first go. All subsequent tries have used rear connection. I downloaded image from the Tipi wiki site and flashed it to SanDisk 64 mb micro sd card with Etcher. I studied cabling diagrams even tracing wires pin-to-pin like pin 31 on pi to pin 1 on Tipi etc. So I am pretty confident I have cabling correct. However, there are only a couple of different connection combinations available with the 5-pin cables if I only change at the Tipi. I am assuming I don’t have to reflash the image at each different connection trial. Would you agree? I’ll let you know tomorrow.

I tried swapping connector ends at the Tipi inside to outside and vice versa with the same result. I also removed all cables and powered up console, sideport 32k memory and Tipi and I still get the same triple tone without any connection to the pi. So here are my thoughts: 1. connecting to the JTAG connection compromised the CPLD, the programming eeprom or both. 2. (longshot here) The 5-pin cables are shorting out on whichever end requires them to abut metal contacts face-to-face while keeping the same wire orientation.  3. Something is the matter with the pi3.

I am going to try the pi without Tipi installing NOOBS and see it boots and works. Is there a way to verify that the Tipi CPLD is not fried? Could it be the eeprom was compromised by connecting to the JTAG connector. I'm beyond frustrated and just grasping at straws here. Your thoughts.

27 minutes ago, Fonzie said:

I tried swapping connector ends at the Tipi inside to outside and vice versa with the same result. I also removed all cables and powered up console, sideport 32k memory and Tipi and I still get the same triple tone without any connection to the pi. So here are my thoughts: 1. connecting to the JTAG connection compromised the CPLD, the programming eeprom or both. 2. (longshot here) The 5-pin cables are shorting out on whichever end requires them to abut metal contacts face-to-face while keeping the same wire orientation.  3. Something is the matter with the pi3.

I am going to try the pi without Tipi installing NOOBS and see it boots and works. Is there a way to verify that the Tipi CPLD is not fried? Could it be the eeprom was compromised by connecting to the JTAG connector. I'm beyond frustrated and just grasping at straws here. Your thoughts.

Good thought to test the Pi without the tipi in the mix.  This will tell you if it's good.  If the CPLD only got corrupted since you have a raspberry Pi you can program it yourself.  I did mine for my Geneve wiht the latest .jed file.

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming-With-PI

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

I successfully loaded Raspbian on my pi3. This was my first introduction to the Linux OS. I especially appreciated watching the screen display change as the installation progressed. This eliminates the pi from the list of possible culprits for Tipi failing to install. So not knowing Tipi inticracies, I am listing the following as possible causes.

1. Corrupted CPLD

2. Corrupted EEPROM

3. Both CPLD and EEPROM corrupted

4. Cabling problems

5. Current Tipi image not compatible with early EEPROM programming. (18 month lag between Tipi purchase and    

Current attempt to install).

I have neither the expertise nor tools to troubleshoot further. Has a repair service for Tipi been established?

Any further suggestions are welcome.

I successfully loaded Raspbian on my pi3. This was my first introduction to the Linux OS. I especially appreciated watching the screen display change as the installation progressed. This eliminates the pi from the list of possible culprits for Tipi failing to install. So not knowing Tipi inticracies, I am listing the following as possible causes.

1. Corrupted CPLD

2. Corrupted EEPROM

3. Both CPLD and EEPROM corrupted

4. Cabling problems

5. Current Tipi image not compatible with early EEPROM programming. (18 month lag between Tipi purchase and    

Current attempt to install).

I have neither the expertise nor tools to troubleshoot further. Has a repair service for Tipi been established?

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Sure send it back to me and I'll get you a price to fix it.

The eprom works or it wouldn't trip beep or respond to call tipi

Theres no issue with eprom compatability the old one works fine with new builds

Not saying this is any ones fault in particular, but sometimes it can be easy to overlook a damaged cable prior to packaging and shipping.

You might want to test each separate end of each wire, and make sure you are getting a electric current with a multi meter.

That should rule out whether the cables are at fault.

Edited by jrhodes
Spelling correction.

Not saying this is any ones fault in particular, but sometimes it can be easy to overlook a damaged cable prior to packaging and shipping.
You might want to test each separate end of each wire, and make sure you are getting a electric current with a multi meter.
That should rule out whether the cables are at fault.
Very true. You should definitely test cables if you know how

I need to think about this for a while. I don’t have another pi so I would have to order one and wait for delivery. It is possible that the voltage did no harm to the pi’s gpio or pins 31-40 used for connecting to Tipi do not impact  the pi from otherwise appearing to operate normally. I’ll hold up shipping off Tipi for now.

Received a new pi3 yesterday from Amazon identical to the other except this one was manufactured in China and not the UK. Proceeded to test if Tipi would work. Here's what I did:

1. Re-flashed mini sd with Tipi sdimage 1.41. and inserted into pi3.

2. Cut a small thin piece of plastic from a sandwich bag and inserted it between the (2) 5-pin cables ends that abutted with metal connectors face-to-face at the back end of Tipi. Then correctly oriented and connected the other cable ends to pins 31-40 on Tipi. I hoped this would eliminate any possibility of shorting that I raised.

3. Powered up Tipi and waited for it to boot.

4. Powered up 32k sidecar and monitor and waited for monitor to warm.

5. Turned on console and chose TI Basic.

6.Typed CALL TIPI (enter)

7.Tipi screen appeared in seconds. Yeah!!

8. Typed S (enter) and Tipi screen when to SSID: and waited for input.

9. Typed my SSID and pressed enter. Typed P and entered.

10. Tipi screen went to PSK: and waited for input.

11. Typed my password (upper and lower case as necessary) and entered.

12. Pressed W to write the configuration.

I waited but an IP address never showed up. So I quit (Q enter) tried again re-flashing sd card and once or twice more (but not always re-flashing card) even substituting my 1st pi to see if the plastic barrier between cable ends would allow Tipi to get to that first screen. But before I wear out the sd card and my legs (Tipi in basement, re-flashing computer on 1st floor) I thought I would ask for advice. My SSID consists of upper and lower case letters with one space: e.g. Xxxxxx Xxxxx_5G, and my PSK: e.g. XxXxxXxxxxxXxxXxxxxxxxx, 23 characters, upper and lower case letters, the at symbol and several digits. Anything unusual, length? that might be causing a problem? Anything else I might try before I send Tipi off for possible repair? 

Glad you were able to get another one and confirm you damaged your old PI with the JTAG connector. 

It's not TIPI it's the PI not connecting to the router to have no IP address.. TIPI is just a connector it has nothing to do with the TCP/IP stack..  The fact that it's loading the config tool says your TIPI is working properly.

Spaces in the SSID are usually the problem you my have to edit the config on the pi directly.  You can telnet to the PI from the TI by running call tipi("TIPI.NET.TELNET") from basic. If you don't have a f18a vdp you should not select 80 column mode..  you won't be able to run nano or other editors via this telnet so use sed to modify the config file.  Frankly the easiest thing to do is set up a SSID that doesn't have spaces. OR connect an ethernet cable.. 

Greg

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-connect-your-raspberry-pi-to-wifi/

vi won't work? It does not try to paint anything special like nano does with the menu at the bottom.

I should try forcing a terminal session to 40 col, and seeing if it works or not...

I second the suggestion to manually configure the pi though.  If he has a linux box, he can just pull the SD card out, and edit it on his real computer.

31 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

vi won't work? It does not try to paint anything special like nano does with the menu at the bottom.

I should try forcing a terminal session to 40 col, and seeing if it works or not...

I second the suggestion to manually configure the pi though.  If he has a linux box, he can just pull the SD card out, and edit it on his real computer.

there's no terminal type that matches the ti terminal, I've had limited success setting the terminal to ANSI on the PI side but that expects a 25x80 screen not less

Greg

Glad you were able to get another one and confirm you damaged your old PI with the JTAG connector. 

It's not TIPI it's the PI not connecting to the router to have no IP address.. TIPI is just a connector it has nothing to do with the TCP/IP stack..  The fact that it's loading the config tool says your TIPI is working properly.

Spaces in the SSID are usually the problem you my have to edit the config on the pi directly.  You can telnet to the PI from the TI by running call tipi("TIPI.NET.TELNET") from basic. If you don't have a f18a vdp you should not select 80 column mode..  you won't be able to run nano or other editors via this telnet so use sed to modify the config file.  Frankly the easiest thing to do is set up a SSID that doesn't have spaces. OR connect an ethernet cable.. 

Greg

https://raspberrypihq.com/how-to-connect-your-raspberry-pi-to-wifi/
Oh and in tipi telnet use localhost and 23 for the port

Today I changed my router’s SSID from one which had a space in the name to one without spaces. I immediately  descended into the basement where Tipi is located to see if this change would allow me to connect to the internet. SUCCESS!!! I connected to Heatwave bbs and created an account profile. Now I am in the middle of re-connecting all devices for the 4 users in this multi-generational household. Counting all computers, laptops, Amazon dots, kindles, iPods, iPads, printers, chrome book, ring doorbell, security camera, WIU, PS4, I’m nearing 30 devices (really). A change to the Tipi’s confit might have been easier. Count one damaged pi3 (my mad) also.  

Now to try and figure out the quickest way to make full use the Tipi, with only console, no F18a. 

• Like 4