IGNORED

GBSVGA Genie V2.0 In Development

Shift838

Since my 910mp SCART connection went belly up I have been using the GBS8200 interfaced with my GVBVGA Genie v1.0.  The picture was good, but there were a couple of issues that I wanted to see better.  Like when typing the characters did not appear to display correctly on the screen when initially typed but would resolve very quickly.  But enough for me to notice.  There was some video interference on certain colors and could be noticed when colors were solid like a backround of red.

so I decided to start looking into them.  The first thing I did was to use some copper tape on the back of the RAM traces.  This cleaned up the video interference pretty well, but still left the odd issues with the characters.

I found out separate firmware can be used with the GBS8200 and we don't have to rely on the internal firmware.  That got me looking into if anything was already out there we could use.  I found GBSControl which can be used on a variety of systems including old consoles and retro computers like the Geneve and Amiga.

The firmware is loaded on a ESP8266 Wifi device module and has it's on WEB UI to configure and load presets for systems.  I have been able to prove it out of the last few days and get it working with the Geneve.  It looks great on my 510mp at 640x480 and very good on my gaming monitors at multiple wide screen resolutions and even 1280 x 1024 and 640x480 when the widescreen monitor is set to 'square 4:30' ratio.

A debug pin has to be soldered onto the GBS8200/8220 unit to allow the new firmware to pull data for image position and timing adjustments.  a 4 pin connector also must be soldered in the reserved spot on the GBS board to provide 3.3v, Ground, SDA and SDL signals to the new firmware board.

So i am going to redesign the GBSVGA Genie to utilize this along with integrating the LM1881 sync separator as it already has.  This unit will wire up differently by 1 wire removed in order to work properly.  i'm going to see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak to allow for users that do not want to use the external firmware module to be able to still use it with the default GBS8200 firmware.

i'll post pictures soon and probably a video of it working.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm about ready to order some test boards.

attached is the PCB design and a concept of how it will look in the case.  the connector will be a little further like the VGA connector on the GBS8200 so it sticks out of the case a bit.

I'm thinking of offering pre-orders as well.

Also I changed the schematic for the Geneve where you can use a straight through DB9 cable used with my Geneve2DB9 video converter board.

If you think you want to get in on the preorder which will include the GBSVGA Genie board and pre-programmed ESP8266 WeMos D1 Mini board all assembled then PM me.

It will probably be a couple of weeks before I see the test boards.

012720-VGAGBS_Genie_Geneve-EVPC_V2.png

concept layout.jpg

Edited by Shift838

2 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Chris,

Help me understand a bit more what this offers for the Geneve.

Thanks.

Beery

I started down this path when my 910mp went belly up about a year ago.  I just received the parts that will hopefully fix it, but coming by the parts was near impossible but a new SCART board just happened to pop up on ebay a month ago for the 910mp.

Well anyway, i started to use just a standard GBS8200 with a self wired cable going through my GBSGenie for the Geneve.  The picture was good, but not as good as I wanted it on certain colors.  So i headed down another path that allowed more granular configuration that the stock GBS8200 firmware did not offer.

Putting this together with my GBSVGA Genie circuit and some well placed copper tape to snuff out the interference allowed for a very clear picture as you can see in this thread (post #3).  The added benefit is it works with VGA LCD/LED monitors.  The one in my photo shows a AOC FreeSync 144Hz 24" 1080p with the Geneve and this unit.

It fits perfectly in an already designed 3D printed case for the unit and interfaces with the GBSControl firmware utilizing the ESP8266 controller.  All your settings can now be controlled via web browser on your wifi network.

Still has the output for audio speakers as well and can be used with my Geneve-To-DB9 video adapter board (for those of us that hate soldering DIN connectors), with all this a straight through DB9 Female to DB9 Male cable can be used.

I have provided one of these unit's to the Insane one a few months back.  I have been using mine for about a year now.

hope that helps.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Swim said:

Will this be a parts kit or prebuilt unit?

Just curious was it the capacitors that went bad on the monitor?

the unit itself will be a assembled and tested unit.  This will only include the board with the ESP8266 module and updated firmware.  The GBS8200 is not included, these can be purchased fairly cheap.

If using with the Geneve then I recommend using my geneve video to db9 converter board as well then you can just use a straight through db9 cable.  otherwise you will need to make a custom cable.

as far as what went out on my 910mp.  the SCART board will not recognize a signal, so i don't believe it's the capacitors, but something else.  I do have a new SCART board for it, i just need to open it up and look.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

New Direction....

I decided to purchase a couple of new GBS8200 devices for additional testing and the date codes are different of course looking at the circuity it is a bit different too.

I could not get my GBSVGA board version 1.0 or 2.0 to work on either of the newer models, but on the older model I have it worked like a charm.

so I started digging...

i am still using the external 'gbscontrol' firmware, and I did a few modifications to the gbs8200, mainly taking the RGB pots off and directly jumpering to improve the colors.  I also adding a 4 capacitors in parallel to better stabilize the power which reduced additional video noise.  Now the image on my LED is almost flawless for the Geneve!

So...  i'll be posting how I did it on my site soon showing all modifications and what is needed with links to everything.  

Each picture has a photo of a Geneve running in MAME and the real iron running via a GBS 8200 and 'gbscontrol' firmware.  One photo has the GBS8200 hooked up via HDMI from a VGA to HDMI adapter like this one HERE and one via VGA (i'm not saying which one yet!).

all are showing the exact same hi-resolution MYART image.

See if you can tell which of the monitors in the 2 photos are using the GBS8200.

gbs1.jpg

gbs2.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have finalized the design of the GBSVGA Genie V2.0.  With the prototype boards I found a couple of traces I had to cut and jumper and a few labels wrong.

I have verified this board works on 4 different versions (date codes) of the GBS8200

I will only be selling the units as you see them.  You can purchase your own GBS8200 and make the modifications.  I did implement 3 different modifications on all of my GBS8200 units to:

1. Stabilize the power

2. Reduce DRAM signal noise

3. Stabilize the correct color (no more messing with those damn POTS on the GBS8200)

See photos, one shows how nicely the GBS8200 and the GBSVGA Genie fits nicely into a 3D case.  I did not design the case, there will be a link to it in the doc.  All I had to do was drill the power hole bigger so my cable would fit into it and make a regtancle cutout with a dremel for the GBSGenie's DB9 connector..

All easy mods, just require some basic soldering skills.

I'll be putting together a document on what I did. 

For the Geneve this unit will take a straight through DSUB 9 male > female when using my Geneve Video 2 DB 9 converter board  The price of the boards assembled, programmed and tested are below: 

GBSVGA Genie 2.0 = $40 + shipping.

Geneve Video 2 DB9 Adapter Board = $10.00 + shipping

I will be posting a pre-order on my store.

gbs_Genie9640v2_PT.jpg

IMG-0960.JPG

IMG-0961.JPG

GBS8200_in case.jpg

gbs1.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

This unit allows you to hook a Geneve up to the GBS8200 which in turn takes the 15kHz signal and converts it to a standard VGA.

The unit has audio output for speakers as well and can be controlled from your phone to change display settings for the monitor.

• Like 1