IGNORED

My pampered Intellivision and it's violent death

Blarneo

1 hour ago, cmart604 said:

? But the mental anguish could be priced in the millions! 

And to add a subtle value point to this, I paid for my own Intellivision through a years' worth of menial, teenager jobs.

I bought most of my games with that same allowance/lawn mowing money at $25-35 a pop (Pitfall & Dragonfire were a clearance bin after the crash <$10). I think I only got 3 as gifts. 

Those little bast... I mean my darling step brothers, came in and destroyed my sister's game system (I didn't consider it mine anymore) without paying a dime for it. Everybody knows teenagers have no or very little money, and so what I lost was much more than the yard sale value of whatever was left.

I guess I'm getting worked up by this thread now, where it's been 30 years since all this happened, and I really did get over it. 

My all time favorite systems, the SNES & Genesis are still with me, so I'm ok.

Edited by Blarneo
Concussing sentence
  • Like 2

On 9/6/2019 at 5:27 AM, IntyFanMatt said:

Also, what about all the great homebrews, like Christmas Carol, would they be available to play on the legacy side too?

We’re looking at ways to accomplish that.  It would obviously have to be done in cooperation with the homebrew developer(s).  But there’s also the issue of ‘problem’ games - games that are unlicensed arcade knock-offs, as that would get Intellivision in legal / copyright trouble.

• Like 4

On 9/6/2019 at 7:10 AM, Blarneo said:

Oh Cool! How about the old Imagic games? Are there issues with them?

As stated in the original Amico reveal trailer, an agreement was made with the copyright holder that allows Intellivision to use and/or remake any of the Imagic games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nurmix said:

We’re looking at ways to accomplish that.  It would obviously have to be done in cooperation with the homebrew developer(s).  But there’s also the issue of ‘problem’ games - games that are unlicensed arcade knock-offs, as that would get Intellivision in legal / copyright trouble.

I see, I’m sure Intellivision wants to steer clear of legal issues, but it would be great to play some of those great homebrews that many people haven’t played yet. The LTO Flash might be extinct soon, which would be a shame, making it even tougher to play any of them.  Thanks for the reply!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I see, I’m sure Intellivision wants to steer clear of legal issues, but it would be great to play some of those great homebrews that many people haven’t played yet. The LTO Flash might be extinct soon, which would be a shame, making it even tougher to play any of them.  Thanks for the reply!

If a third party wants to make a USB cartridge adapter for Amico (this has been discussed previously, and Joe Z has already shown it is feasible), then you could just plug in your cart(s) and play whatever you want.

1 hour ago, nurmix said:

As stated in the original Amico reveal trailer, an agreement was made with the copyright holder that allows Intellivision to use and/or remake any of the Imagic games.

I feel like I should already know the answer to this, but how about the Activision games?  Can we expect any content for Beamrider, Worm Whomper, or River Raid?

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
Typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, nurmix said:

Allow people to side load their own files for the emulator.  The manufacturer is not responsible for whatever the enduser does.

19 hours ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I feel like I should already know the answer to this, but how about the Activision games?  Can we expect any content for Beamrider, Worm Whomper, or River Raid?

Last I heard is they are negotiating with Activision.  Activision might be taking a wait and see position.  They've licenced their old atari stuff to ATGames but creating new games based on the old properties has typically been done by Activision themselves.

I believe that is correct. I may be a little hazy on details, but before Tommy purchased the Intellivision rights, ATGames was set to release an Intellivision Flashback 2 which was going to include the Data East catalog (or at least some of the games). When the Intellivision thing happened, then that project got scrapped. When Intellivision made their October 2018 announcement. it included Data East titles, Disney titles, Atari titles, and Imagic titles. It even included some early NES titles. But I don't recall any Activision titles.

Edited by squirrelgotdead
Changed "they" to Intellvision for clarity

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 10:45 AM, Blarneo said:

That's what my sister told me. I'm sure they took a screwdriver to it pried it open or something like that.  

I dunno why they would wreck it, wasn't their property, and anything that plays games and has graphics leave alone.  I never broke any game stuff that I can recall,.... not even a controller, I only broke 2600 joysticks, due to them wearing out on me.

I have had some issues lately with a few systems, Intellivision stopped working. Odyssey 2 also. I have a working Intel, again... , so far so good been a few years now.

Will you be collecting for Intv again Blar?

I see you have Vectron as a picture, one of my favs on the console :) Underrated game big time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

I dunno why they would wreck it, wasn't their property, and anything that plays games and has graphics leave alone.  I never broke any game stuff that I can recall,.... not even a controller, I only broke 2600 joysticks, due to them wearing out on me.

I have had some issues lately with a few systems, Intellivision stopped working. Odyssey 2 also. I have a working Intel, again... , so far so good been a few years now.

Will you be collecting for Intv again Blar?

I see you have Vectron as a picture, one of my favs on the console :) Underrated game big time.

This was the late 80s and they were 9-13 years old and hated my sister. Bullies actually. Rowdy and always fighting. I haven't talked to them in 15 years. Mom divorced their fath... anyhow, I'm blabbing too much. If I could use profanities, they were just little sh*ts! Maybe they did it so they can get a Nintendo NES. I dunno. 

And Vectron was one of those games. ?

She's getting an Amico. Shh, don't tell her.?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blarneo said:

This was the late 80s and they were 9-13 years old and hated my sister. Bullies actually. Rowdy and always fighting. I haven't talked to them in 15 years. Mom divorced their fath... anyhow, I'm blabbing too much. If I could use profanities, they were just little sh*ts! Maybe they did it so they can get a Nintendo NES. I dunno. 

And Vectron was one of those games. ?

She's getting an Amico. Shh, don't tell her.?

Oh yeah makes sense... weirdo bully kids break stuff. ? So the NES came AFTER the Intell was broken? Yeah I remember when I was very young, NES was all over the place, I was using my bros Commodore 64, so I didnt crave NES... until it was cheap lol 1990 onward. ;) My opinion on NES gone way down since then, I still have my fav games, but the bulk of the games, feel like a chore to play and babyish.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, nurmix said:

There are many original games with original code by awesomely talented Inty developers. Originals are what made the console fun, not knockoffs of arcade games. Stuff like Christmas Carol and Sydney Hunter and Space Patrol and Princess Quest would be nothing but a benefit to the platform.

Well they have the license for Moon Patrol but they'd still have to get Irem to okay Space Patrol.  The market for the old Intellivision games might be small but the market for Intellivision homebrews might be even smaller.  It would certainly be a nice gesture if Intellivision Entertainment put Intellivision homebrews on their store, some of which are currently available for free.

Edited by mr_me

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Well they have the license for Moon Patrol but they'd still have to get Irem to okay Space Patrol.  The market for the old Intellivision games might be small but the market for Intellivision homebrews might be even smaller.  It would certainly be a nice gesture if Intellivision Entertainment put Intellivision homebrews on their store, some of which are currently available for free.

IE is open to it, as long as there aren’t Intellectual Property concerns or violations with the games.  Unfortunately, as you know, there are with a lot of the homebrews.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:40 PM, Blarneo said:

This is going to sound like a Toy Story plot line about when kids grow up & abandon toys, but I'll make it short. 

So In 1981, I hoarded my allowance, lawn mowing money, babysitting cash and all I could to afford the $250 price tag for an Intellivision. Frog Bog was what My Mom bought along with me getting Sub Hunt or Astrosmash (can't remember exactly) along with it. I babied that thing. I had this plastic storage box made my Imagic that fit it perfectly. I panicked when my mom would pull the controller cord & drag the console closer to her so she could lounge and complain that "This controller doesn't work! It cheats!" ? Through high school, it gave me lots of enjoyment for me & my friends and my little sister. 

Then I joined the Army out of HS, and left it at home. My sister grew older to 8-11 years old & played with it along with her friends while I was gone. The console was in perfect condition when I got home. I hung about for a year or so & my sister & I enjoyed it.

Then I went to college in 1987. It still worked like a charm. I gave it to my sister, cause I knew she would take care of it. 

I acquired 3 tween and under 10 step brothers during that time & while they had a Nintendo NES, they commenced to abuse and destroy my Intellivision. Ripped the controllers out of the console, broke into and lost a couple of cartridge circuit boards & rip off the bronze metal sticker. My mom threw it out while I was away and I never saw it or my 15 games for it again.

I wish I had taken it with me.

Well first, thank you for your service.  Though I've never owned an Intellivision, it's very painful to hear that the system suffered such a terrible fate.  If they're built anything like the 2600, it would be working like it's brand new today if it were still around.  

Very very painful

jake johnson pain GIF by New Girl

• Like 1