IGNORED

Best bird for Arkyology?

Swami

Best bird for Arkyology poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. The bird in Arkyology has just been referred to as a plain old bird. Perhaps we should give it a more specific species. Vote for your choice now. Parentheticals are just as an inside joke.

• (David) Crane
    • Buzzard (Bait)
    • Vulture (Attack)
    • Condor (Attack)
    • (Sea) Hawk
    • (Desert) Falcon (Computer)
    • Bird (just use your imagination)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The bird in Arkyology has just been referred to as a plain old bird. Perhaps we should give it a more specific species, to make it more threatening or because of its appearance. Vote for your choice now. Parentheticals are just as an inside joke. BTW, this is just for reference in the manual, not a redo of the bird graphics in the game.

Actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a stork. Bird enemies in the Atari 2600 universe include the Buzzard from Joust and the Vulture and Condor from the Vulture/Condor Attack games. Hawks and owls are the more fearsome birds of flight in the real world, except for the Lammergeier, which I've never hear of before, since it is Eurasian .

Shouldn't it be one of the species of bird that Noah actually released when the 40 days and nights ended?  Supposedly, he first sent out a raven, then a dove (and only the dove returned, so maybe we can assume that he was happy to be rid of the raven ;-)).  But maybe we should ask the programmer what his intention was (if he even had one)?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NostAlgae37 said:

Shouldn't it be one of the species of bird that Noah actually released when the 40 days and nights ended?  Supposedly, he first sent out a raven, then a dove (and only the dove returned, so maybe we can assume that he was happy to be rid of the raven ;-)).  But maybe we should ask the programmer what his intention was (if he even had one)?

It's a fairly large bird in the game, so it would have to be a giant raven. Not that any of the poll birds are green, but it would also be a green raven, as I don't think Paul wants to make any graphical changes. Kinda the same thing with the other black color birds. Their black color makes them distinctive, but I get folks mentioning the three black birds. The Australinan magpie gets the bad press down under. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie

1 hour ago, chas10e said:

I think a Crane named "David" is rather clever. Perhaps a raven may be more historically accurate. Named as a gerneric "bird" should be ok as to let the imagination of individual game-player decide.

It is still possible we could name the Aggravating Animals. David Crane, Quick Quill Porcupine, Tsunami Turtle, Alligaraptor, etc.