IGNORED

Side2 with U1MB

Jeffrey Worley

thus far the conversation has been about SDX and the BBS is this no longer the case? Using SDX, BXE, with SIDE / Ultimate and was having issues with some aspect of just about some section of each. The time clock is the latest installment of the problems. 

Edited by _The Doctor__

8 hours ago, Marius said:

I once wrote a tool, called Ultime.com ... it is like apetime. It downloads the time from Ultimate 1MB and put it in SpartaDos 3.x system clock. It was a rather fun project. But it is in no way a driver or a real time clock. It sets the time/date once and that's it (I put it in my startup.bat).

Later I adapted the waitcal0.cmd from BBS Pro! so it would download the time/date everytime the waitcal was executed (which was after every hour, and after every caller). That kept my time and date more accurate.

I will have to search for it, but I am pretty sure I can find at least the ultime.com ... source is most likely lost in space, as most of my sources :(

I found this previous post referencing a "ULTIME.ATR" attachment, but it seems to have been lost/link no longer works.

Fantastic to read these posts. I love how everyone pitches in and helps a project.  

I think when I get to this 3.2g sparta is a more than likely possibility because of the Memory conflict issue you find so often with these in Dos X. So this is helpful for me. Thanks

James

1 hour ago, Marius said:

Well, indeed.

I must add that your tool/workaround is really excellent. I don't want to detract from that! :)

Source code probably isn't needed; we know the RTC registers in the user data area of SD 3.x, and we need simply load them at regular intervals after obtaining the data and time from the DS1305. SPI code is already written, so no problem there. I'm not so experienced with disk-based Sparta versions, however, so I'm not sure how tightly co-dependent the TD line and clock driver actually are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

once it grabs the time it continues within the Atari, only specific calls to the r-time clock itself will update it again. Some of those routines are slightly off and the time drifts (though the latest SDX beta seems better in some way at least for us 60hz folks)...This is why some folks call the clock cart directly or reload the time periodically in their event scheduler in most BBS software.

All things being equal yes, it's time for something better. It's time for Sparta DOS to be the same on DISK as it is in cartridge in terms of available drivers and external commands. It of course will never be the same in terms of ROMdisk and cartridge banking fun. Sparta grabbing external commands/exe/etc from MIO Ramdisk, Modern storage, and other devices is/are plenty quick for the load in and when done it's the same ole game of unhooking it dropping whatever it was.

Edited by _The Doctor__

52 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I was conflating the TD line updates with I_GETTD calls there. If the TD line obtains the time using the standard 'get time' call (which it must if the RTime-8 can be supplanted by a jiffy-based clock), then the driver could be very simple indeed.

Not to derail the thread, but has anybody made a TD line which works with VBXE 80 column output?  I miss that status bar!

• Like 1

Great number of people left the scene saying there was nothing left to do with the Atari, yet clearly there is still almost as much left to do as has already been done! These are but just a few examples of the plethora of things still needing to be done...

Here's to another 40 or more years of work to do and discovery of what can be done!

We simply need to get some new blood (and perhaps old blood back) into the game, passing the torch perhaps... or something unexpected by a fresh approach...

tying up loose ends could be a wonderful diversion and a satisfying angle on the hobby!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I think it was Drac030 who once said to me that he knew there would not be enough opportunity in a single lifetime to write all the software he wanted to write for the A8. I feel exactly the same way. I'm currently thinking about writing a DS1305 RTC driver for disk-based SpartaDOS... because it's needed and because it's fun. But time is the enemy, and people get around to doing things when they have the time and the inclination. The SpartaDOS X Programming Manual exists... it would be great to see more third-party relocatable SDX apps kicking around. Perhaps there's simply so much to do that it's almost impossible to focus on one single project for very long.

Edited by flashjazzcat
typos
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I think it was Drac030 who once said to me that he knew there would not be enough opportunity in a single lifetime to write all the software he wanted to write for the A8. I feel exactly the same way. I'm currently thinking about writing a DS1035 RTC driver for disk-based SpartaDOS... because it's needed and because it's fun. But time is the enemy, and people get round to doing things when they have the time and the inclination. The SpartaDOS X Programming Manual exists... it would be great to see more third-party relocatable SDX apps kicking around. Perhaps there's simply so much to do that it's almost impossible to focus on one single project for very long.

Exactly that's why the old users groups are missed so much, and the libraries where full of nice stuff in this realm, but lot's of it was repetitive or sometimes an example of what shouldn't be done :). There were a nice number of gems out there, it's hard to find many of them... and many feel turned off by the nature of internet forums and all that comes with them... It's hard to get retirees with failing health to meeting halls... it's a dilemma

I've managed to get a handful here, but couldn't get half of them to stay... as the back and forth sometimes discounts them before they can get back into the swing of things. Let's face it, some days we're brilliant... other days we can't remember the names with faces or what yesterdays breakfast was... but if we are kind, perhaps the man hours are available to churn out some of what's needed...

ah there's a ramble! now get off my lawn! :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

perhaps a different SpartaDOS X attack vector is needed... Just popped into my thoughts

how about reading MAN CAR

and MAN BASIC...

remember

CAR /I D1:MOE.COM

or something closely related like when using the ACTION cartridge... should get the job done... in fact check out the stuff about ACTION and X... you might find it enlightening.

as you can load the Binary file and enter the cart... You may need to adjust the load mode further explained in the man file.. or pdf manual for that matter

BASIC /I D1:MOE.COM

would get you Atari Basic with possibly MOE already loaded etc...

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 9/7/2019 at 3:51 AM, Marius said:

Here it is...

With source! (Lol don't look inside... it is a rat's nest).

ULTIME.ATR.zip 13.14 kB · 9 downloads

This is really cool. I wonder if it would be easy to modify this to pull the time from the SIDE2 cart for disk-based sparta when used on a machine without U1MB? (or does COLD /N turn that off too...)

My current solution is to use the ASPECL.COM that comes with AspeQt/RespeQt to pull the time from the PC, but that program doesn't like RealDOS (thinks its not SpartaDOS)... or literally put the R-Time 8 in.

heh, forgot that basic xl doesn't like the MIO...

basic xe does but you need a 320XE or greater for it to work fully decked out...

the config.sys is in the sdx manual pdf...

USE OSRAM

DEVICE SPARTA

then it goes on to have to order stuff in the config depending on memory etc...

once this is all done BXE in a cartridge works well enough... though I'll have to play around further late this week, just not up to it at this point. really not feeling well.

Edited by _The Doctor__

10 hours ago, Nezgar said:

This is really cool. I wonder if it would be easy to modify this to pull the time from the SIDE2 cart for disk-based sparta when used on a machine without U1MB? (or does COLD /N turn that off too...)

My current solution is to use the ASPECL.COM that comes with AspeQt/RespeQt to pull the time from the PC, but that program doesn't like RealDOS (thinks its not SpartaDOS)... or literally put the R-Time 8 in.

That is exact my idea too. Will check it out!

• Thanks 1