• Street fighter
    • Dracula
    • Microsurgeon
    • Frogger
    • Beamrider
    • Truckin

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Speaking of Karateka (I had it on my Apple IIc).... does anyone remember the Bruce Lee game?  With the lanterns?  That was a cool one!  Had that on my IIc as well.

Bruce Lee was an amazing game i had it on my Atari 800xl and the c64 in the mid 80s..now that would make a great couch co op where one person is Bruce Lee and another person is that green dude Yamo that chases him and another could be the ninja  

Edited by ASalvaro
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, ASalvaro said:

Bruce Lee was an amazing game i had it on my Atari 800xl and the c64 in the mid 80s..now that would make a great couch co op where one person is Bruce Lee and another person is that green dude Yamo that chases him and another could be the ninja  

Oh but face punching

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Blarneo said:

*sigh*. Okay. I give up.

What we consider acceptable or not for children depends mostly on how playing the game could impact their moral system and influence their behavior.

For example, children do not have access to tanks. So a game like Armor Battle where they drive a tank and shoot other tanks will have zero impact on their behavior. No children will think of walking on their food after playing BurgerTime. No children will think of robbing a bank after playing Lock 'N' Chase. No children will think of eating a smaller kid after playing Shark! Shark!.

Sure, you can imagine a lot of things associated with those games. You can imagine destroying a tank is a depiction of war, which is something absolutely horrible. However, children do not have that kind of abstract ideas. They are not aware of the violence of the act of destroying an enemy tank. And if they are not aware of it, it can't impact them.

On the other hand, children can certainly punch, kick, or even stab another kid with a kitchen knife. So the last thing you want is for them to play games that normalize or desensitize them to this kind of violence. You don't want children to be accustomed of seeing blood after beating someone. You don't want children to be accustomed to see people being in pain. For children, seeing blood or seeing someone in pain should result in a psychological shock that stops them.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Speaking of Karateka (I had it on my Apple IIc).... does anyone remember the Bruce Lee game?  With the lanterns?  That was a cool one!  Had that on my IIc as well.

Oh, you had an Apple IIc? Lucky kid! Speaking of old games with interesting gameplay, did you ever played with Zorro or The Goonies (both were also on the Apple II)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Papy said:

What we consider acceptable or not for children depends mostly on how playing the game could impact their moral system and influence their behavior.

For example, children do not have access to tanks. So a game like Armor Battle where they drive a tank and shoot other tanks will have zero impact on their behavior. No children will think of walking on their food after playing BurgerTime. No children will think of robbing a bank after playing Lock 'N' Chase. No children will think of eating a smaller kid after playing Shark! Shark!.

Sure, you can imagine a lot of things associated with those games. You can imagine destroying a tank is a depiction of war, which is something absolutely horrible. However, children do not have that kind of abstract ideas. They are not aware of the violence of the act of destroying an enemy tank. And if they are not aware of it, it can't impact them.

On the other hand, children can certainly punch, kick, or even stab another kid with a kitchen knife. So the last thing you want is for them to play games that normalize or desensitize them to this kind of violence. You don't want children to be accustomed of seeing blood after beating someone. You don't want children to be accustomed to see people being in pain. For children, seeing blood or seeing someone in pain should result in a psychological shock that stops them.

I said I give up! It's clear I'm not getting anywhere, and I really don't need the condescension & pop psychology, so you can "Finish Him!" by belaboring your point. 

Edited by Blarneo
Removed hot headed response
  • Confused 1

On 9/9/2019 at 7:35 AM, Tommy Tallarico said:

bruce lee and the unofficial c64 sequel bruce lee 2 are amazing games with super playability, would this be possible to port or the bruce lee family need royalties?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blarneo said:

I said I give up! It's clear I'm not getting anywhere, and I really don't need the condescension & pop psychology, so you can "Finish Him!" by belaboring your point. 

I apologize if I sounded condescending, this was really not my intention. I'm not here to fight and didn't try to "finish" you. I guess I wrongly interpreted your argument about Amor Battle. I took it at face value and I was only genuinely trying to explain why Armor Battle is not considered violent while most fighting games are considered violent. Nothing more.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 11:21 PM, Byte Knight said:

AD&D Cloudy Mountain

B-17 Bomber

Super Pro Sea Battle!

You are the only one to mention B-17 in this thread (that I saw, anyway). This is one game I want fixed! The first mission was rather fun, then it got crazy with the AA guns replacing targets, and it was near impossible to hit more than one long distance target and have enough bombs/fuel to make it worth the trek. Plus, the long flight to and from England was too long and uneventful. Think of the multiplayer possibilities - your teammates are your gunners, and opponents enemy fighters or even AA gun turrets shooting up at you as you fly overhead, each with their own dedicated screen info. 

As an aside, I could totally see Bomb Squad being a multiplayer race against the clock game, much like some real-time board games.  There's a countdown timer, lots of orders being shouted, codes to be deciphered, and lots of chaos/confusion :)  

• Like 4

The system is likely going to sell for $199 (I'd predict possibly $250 because of two controllers with screens).  With that in mind, I doubt very much there's a lot of gaming guts into these controllers so the likelyhood of each player having their own screen that can output gaming quality graphics is somewhat low. That's ok, they don't need to be a handheld style gaming controller to bring something new, just think that will be beyond the B17 idea.  Unless you mean just read-outs, etc, but then the actual "shooting part" is on the main TV screen.  HMMM, maybe it could work with the readouts giving info on which screen needs attention then the player needing attention calls out and gets full control of the TV for his/her part. This could be a terrific see-saw coop experience.   Ok, I'm on board!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, popsicle said:

You are the only one to mention B-17 in this thread (that I saw, anyway). This is one game I want fixed! The first mission was rather fun, then it got crazy with the AA guns replacing targets, and it was near impossible to hit more than one long distance target and have enough bombs/fuel to make it worth the trek. Plus, the long flight to and from England was too long and uneventful. Think of the multiplayer possibilities - your teammates are your gunners, and opponents enemy fighters or even AA gun turrets shooting up at you as you fly overhead, each with their own dedicated screen info. 

As an aside, I could totally see Bomb Squad being a multiplayer race against the clock game, much like some real-time board games.  There's a countdown timer, lots of orders being shouted, codes to be deciphered, and lots of chaos/confusion :)  

YES!!!  Wait til you see what we've done with B-17 Bomber!  It's scheduled to be a day one release at this point.  The couch co-op for this one is SO unique!  And you don't need to be a gamer to join in and have fun and still be an important part of the mission.  Ever see the movie Memphis Belle?  So many different members of a team on a B-17 Bomber.  Even the radar and co-pilot.  Gunners, bombers, pilot, etc.  Everyone has a different task, job.  Imagine if everyone had their own screens and controllers and things to do on a mission.  Imagine what that would be like and the type of communication that would go on in the living room?

Just sayin....

Folks are going to be very surprised once they have a chance to see how we are redefining couch co-op.  Having screens on the controller is so cool.  It really cracks me up when folks make comments about how stupid the screen is for our controller (without ever seeing how we are using it).

Fun times ahead!!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

Multiplayer versions of Abe's Oddysee or Bruce Lee (that already included a 2 player mode in 1984 where one of the players controls the sumo guy) would be awesome. I hope the new Earthworm Jim has some of that.

Count on it.  :)

EWJ is going to be a game like NO ONE has ever played before.  Folks who are thinking we are just doing another 2D side scrolling platform game 25 years later.... are sadly mistaken.  There is going to be something in there for everyone (there are going to be platform elements sometimes as well).  But just not catering to hardcore Genesis/SNES crowd.  Going to be something very special.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

YES!!!  Wait til you see what we've done with B-17 Bomber!  It's scheduled to be a day one release at this point.  The couch co-op for this one is SO unique!  And you don't need to be a gamer to join in and have fun and still be an important part of the mission.  Ever see the movie Memphis Belle?  So many different members of a team on a B-17 Bomber.  Even the radar and co-pilot.  Gunners, bombers, pilot, etc.  Everyone has a different task, job.  Imagine if everyone had their own screens and controllers and things to do on a mission.  Imagine what that would be like and the type of communication that would go on in the living room?

Just sayin....

Folks are going to be very surprised once they have a chance to see how we are redefining couch co-op.  Having screens on the controller is so cool.  It really cracks me up when folks make comments about how stupid the screen is for our controller (without ever seeing how we are using it).

Fun times ahead!!

Sounds a lot like what Disneyland did with the new Smuggler's Run ride. Each rider has a job in the Millenium Falcon. Pilot, Gunner, grabbing cargo, etc. There's a pass/fail at the end of the ride.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blarneo said:

Sounds a lot like what Disneyland did with the new Smuggler's Run ride. Each rider has a job in the Millenium Falcon. Pilot, Gunner, grabbing cargo, etc. There's a pass/fail at the end of the ride.

Yep! And we're showing the Lucas & Disney folks B-17 Bomber in a few months to attempt to do the next one with the Star Wars license.  Meeting with Paramount for Star Trek as well.  Captain on the bridge!  :)

Edited by Tommy Tallarico
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

That game was awesome!  What about Galaga 88 4 player co-op and/or versus mode?   :)

now THAT sounds great....Galaga 88 is what all sequels or remakes should be...making you feel like your playing the classic arcade game but taking it to another level and almost making the original classic game obsolete..sorta like what All Star Baseball on the Intellivision does to the original Baseball game

3 hours ago, Blarneo said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking as well! ??

41 minutes ago, Tommy Tallarico said:

Yep! And we're showing the Lucas & Disney folks B-17 Bomber in a few months to attempt to do the next one with the Star Wars license.  Meeting with Paramount for Star Trek as well.  Captain on the bridge!  :)

Wow! Both of those open up a ton of possibilities, I hope one or both work out ?