IGNORED

Lynx 2 not booting up

Filip Sadovsky

Hello, recently i got my hands on Lynx 2. Unfortunately it has some issue as when i put game in it starts and shows "Insert Game" on screen and stops on that. I was informed that some time ago it was broken and put into repair. Guys in repair shop replaced Zener diode right next metal shielding below cartridge slot (probably power issue which is quite common as i read already). After that console worked some time eventually started doing this. Do you have any idea what could be wrong with it?

Tried that, unfortunately after digging down to problem further it looks like D13 zener diode broke (9V on both sides as if there is no diode at all)?
I have made regulator mod. That worked nicely, i have now proper 5V where they belong but console has still same issue. When game is inserted "partially" it shows INSERT GAME and when fully inserted, just empty screen and no sound. So i dare to say that zener did let 9V to 5V rail and some of the chips inside metal cover died as a result ?

Edited by Filip Sadovsky

1 minute ago, Filip Sadovsky said:

Tried that, unfortunately after digging down to problem further it looks like D13 zener diode broke ?
I have made regulator mod. That worked nicely, i have now proper 5V where they belong but console has still same issue. When game is inserted "partially" it shows INSERT GAME and when fully inserted, just empty screen and no sound. So i dare to say that zener did let 9V to 5V rail and some of the chips inside metal cover died as a result ?

If you see the Insert Game screen the systems should be ok. With one of the main chips (Miky, Suzy and Ram) broken it will not happen.

Don't know if the problem can be the the chips that interface the cart ( the address shift register or the address ripple counter). If this is the case, they are easy and cheap to replace, but oxid one the cart connector for me remains the most likely cause.

So new info:

I did full recap, no change sadly.

I checked voltages on IC under metal shielding and they all get 5V so this seems ok. 

Last good thing is that no IC is getting hot as far as I can tell.

Now i'am waiting for simple osciloskop / logic analyzer to arrive. If you have any idea please let me know it is getting strange ?