IGNORED

Trying to play Tunnels of Doom on MAME

Gilbyph

Good day fine people of Arariage!

I just set up MAME on my laptop. I've never used MAME before. I went to Ninerpedia and followed the directions "Installing on Windows systems"  I downloaded the roms and cartridges, and a copy of TOD.DSK. I made a .bat file to run from the command line "c:\prg\mame>mame64 ti99_4a -cart tundoom -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 tifdc -flop1 cartridges\tod.dsk" (I put the disk in the cartridge folder, i didn't see a disk folder and i don't know how to make a disk folder and direct MAME to look in that folder for disks) Tunnels of Doom loads, but when I try to load from disk I hear the floppy drive spin up (nice touch by the way!) but I get FILE ERROR 6 DEVICE ERROR. I have tried searching for answers on my own to fix the issue, but I've come up blank. Could one of you please show me the way!

Good day fine people of Arariage!
I just set up MAME on my laptop. I've never used MAME before. I went to Ninerpedia and followed the directions "Installing on Windows systems"  I downloaded the roms and cartridges, and a copy of TOD.DSK. I made a .bat file to run from the command line "c:\prg\mame>mame64 ti99_4a -cart tundoom -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 tifdc -flop1 cartridges\tod.dsk" (I put the disk in the cartridge folder, i didn't see a disk folder and i don't know how to make a disk folder and direct MAME to look in that folder for disks) Tunnels of Doom loads, but when I try to load from disk I hear the floppy drive spin up (nice touch by the way!) but I get FILE ERROR 6 DEVICE ERROR. I have tried searching for answers on my own to fix the issue, but I've come up blank. Could one of you please show me the way!
What size is the disk?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Gilbyph said:

My copy of TOD.dsk is 537 KB.  I tried loading King, Quest, and Pennies.  It's been a long time since I've played, and I never had a disk drive, only the cassette player, but i'm pretty sure at least one of those file names should work.

you can always load the Disk Manager 2 cartridge to catalog the disk.  Also just create a 'disks' directory under your mame directory.  then you can just navigate to it.

You can even use my OoeyGUI MAME/MESS launcher to luanch mame with the cartridges, disk and peb setup...

Arcadeshopper,

Thank you very much! I replaced "tifdc" with "hfdc" and now it works great!

Shift838,

I watched your youtube video Ooey GUI MESS v2.0 Beta, it looks good!  I'll have to give it a try.

One final question if you don't mind.  I understand 1 is for Cassette, 2 is for Disk, but what can 3 be used for? Hard drive?

2 minutes ago, Gilbyph said:

Arcadeshopper,

Thank you very much! I replaced "tifdc" with "hfdc" and now it works great!

Shift838,

I watched your youtube video Ooey GUI MESS v2.0 Beta, it looks good!  I'll have to give it a try.

One final question if you don't mind.  I understand 1 is for Cassette, 2 is for Disk, but what can 3 be used for? Hard drive?

3 is for any device.. so if you had a TIPI or RAMDISK or whatever..  you could even load it from RS232 theoretically if you had another ti hooked up on the other side saving when you loaded 

yes among other devices too.  So HFDC you can access by HDS1 for hard drive 1, HDS2, HDS3.  no more than 3 (max hd image is around 250mb each).  if you have not downloaded Michael Zapf's TIIMAGETOOL, do it.. you can create HD images, manipulate disk images, etc.  also Fred Kaals TI99DIR is good.

There is lots of stuff out there.  With TIIMAGETOOL you can use it as a serial bridge and actually call telnet based BBS'.

Edited by Shift838

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

glad you got it up and going through MAME- there are some fantastic folks on this forum that know tons about our lil 994A.

I've spent many an hour looking for Pennies and Prizes. :)

Yep, they have been very helpful! I was playing a 10 floor dungeon and got to floor 4 before saving and calling it a night. I'm surprised I still know all the key commands for the game, even "Proc'd" and "Back" even though I'm not using a TI keyboard! Talk about muscle memory!

Anyway, I tried to save to cassette last night for nostalgia reasons, but couldn't get that to work.  I modified my .bat file to

c:
cd \prg\mame
mame64 ti99_4a -cart tundoom -cass1 cartridges\TOD.wav -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 cartridges\tod.dsk

I see what looks like playback controls in the top left corner, but I don't know how to use them.  I looked briefly online and it seems that I need to enter a MAME onscreen display or menu by pressing a button.  I tried ESC, ~, and TAB, but none of them did anything. I don't even know how to leave the TI-99/4a except to do an Alt-Tab and then close the window from my desktop. So I still have lots to learn! If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. 

Edited by Gilbyph

I'm using a HP laptop. It has no Scroll Lock key at all, and the Insert key is the zero in the number pad.  I've tried different key combos to make the Insert work, but noting happens.  I even used the one screen keyboard while in MAME trying those buttons, but no menu came up.

I'm using a HP laptop. It has no Scroll Lock key at all, and the Insert key is the zero in the number pad.  I've tried different key combos to make the Insert work, but noting happens.  I even used the one screen keyboard while in MAME trying those buttons, but no menu came up.

Post a photo of your keyboard. Likely it's a function key combination. Also try Google searching your model number with Mame

18 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/defaultkeys.html

Maybe you can redefine it

Pretty much the only command from that list that works is that Alt-Enter will change between windowed and full screen.  I don't see the option there to redefine the commands.

Googled "change scroll lock key mame" and found this

From the command line you can use the -uimodekey parameter to specify a key that's to your liking.

I've used "-uimodekey DEL" successfully on notebooks without a SCRLK key.

You could also check if SCRLK can be activated with the Fn modifier key on your notebook keyboard.