IGNORED

Aquarius Composite AV Card - RF Replacement Board

1stage

Hey Everyone,

UPDATED 19 SEP 2019.

I've completed full testing of my RF modulator replacement, the Aquarius Composite Video Adapter board.

228496619_20190907-AquariusCVA1.0.thumb.png.b8c5a5b1f8834e58643c9bae452195e4.png

(v1.0 shown, but will ship v1.1)

Here are some notes about the project:

• Installation Instructionshttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1BLytR65OgsL6rTRvebeDWA1ux9743x6LvqPK5smutCE/edit?usp=sharing
  • Bill of Materials (BOM)https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/192rCOzwS2t87O_Rc9E6RhjAbDTs6fMf05IUGyVK_5Mk/edit?usp=sharing
  • Requires opening up and modding your Aquarius, desoldering the stock RF modulator, and adding an extra header pin for +5v.
  • Replaces RCA/RF hybrid port with 1/8"/3mm AV jack.
  • Uses the commonly available AV out cable that goes from 1/8"/3mm to three RCA plugs (yellow = comp video, red = right audio, white = left audio).
  • Bare PCBs are for sale (US$10 + shipping), so you can build this mod yourself. All through-hole components.
  • At this time, I WON'T be selling pre-built boards. If you've got the skill to remove the RF modulator, you can easily built this board and install it yourself.
  • Spacers are used to help vertically center the board in the AV port hole as you solder the board in place. The double pin headers around the edges center the board front to back and side to side in the stock solder tab holes from where the RF modulator was mounted.
  • The channel selector switch will no longer work.
  • Tested to work with both PAL and NTSC systems!
  • I'd also recommend swapping out the 7805 to an OKI-78R-5 at the same time. Runs cooler, no more tethered transistor to the heat/RF shield. Easy removal and replacement for only about US$5.

Units are available for purchase now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223672642110

- Sean

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OUTSTANDING work!  This is exactly the approach I've always wanted to see with video upgrades: something that would fit seamlessly inside the original machine, yet is entirely reversible, with no need to drill holes for external connectors.  If all you need is composite, I think the 3.5mm-to-RCA breakout cable is the perfect choice; I'm in the (very early) stages of putting together an Atari 2600 Jr. daughterboard for the UAV upgrade which uses the same connector.  I've also thought of using the same mini-DIN as the Sega Genesis 2 so you could have S-Video as well, but for this particular application, it would have been overkill.

Thanks very much for making these boards available, and for putting together the BOM.  I'm looking forward to trying it!