IGNORED

**SOLD** doubledown's ColecoVision Joystick & Grip Controllers - Pre-Order / Purchase Thread

doubledown

56 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

If there's any room left, I'm interest in a Coleco Black Edition.

Got it.

As of now we're at about 15 pre-orders.  I've got 11 controllers on order/en route/in hand as we speak, plus a lead on 2 more.  There are obviously more to be had so if you're interested don't be concerned with quantities yet or where you're at on the list.  

In additional news we have another benefactor among us.  So as mentioned in my initial post, I had decided to make only 2 of the #2495 Display Edition - Joystick Controllers.  One for me and 1 to sell as a limited edition variant with a price of $495.  If someone were to purchase the 2nd #2495 Display Edition, the extra money was to fund a pool for the purchase of more donor controllers, at the inevitable higher prices (once we gobble up all of the available $50 ones), while still being able to sell these controllers at the prices listed above.  An avid collector has requested to buy my #2495 Display Edition controller (as he missed out on the 1 which was up for sale), thus helping the pool even more.  I've agreed to sell him the one I was going to keep, and I'll make something else for myself.  So the #2495 Display Edition controller is still limited to the 2 that I promised, I just ended up selling mine a lot sooner than I had planned, but it will help out others so that we can make more controllers without raising prices.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Swami said:

One Super Arcade (red) (lefty)  [stick on the right, buttons on the left]

Got it.  

So for anybody checking in, Swami has asked if I can flip/flop the controls on a Super Action Edition...like this:

sNJ4uB.jpg

As of now I believe its possible, but I'll need to do some checking to verify.  So just keep it in mind that this may be a potential option if others are interested in this orientation.  If I determine that this can be done, I'd be able to do this for the Coleco Black, Phoenix, and Super Action Editions.  I won't do it for Donkey Kong because a) I don't want to rearrange the artwork, and b) Nintendo didn't make Donkey Kong with this orientation.  So just something to think about, decision doesn't need to be made right now, and I should know by the weekend if this can be done.  

Bump & reminder...

The deadline to pre-order any of the available editions of Joystick Controllers or Grip Controllers is:

this Friday, September 20, 2019 @ 10:05 PM Eastern time 

After which time I will send out PMs to the interested parties confirming their interest and requesting the initial 25% deposit (of controllers price, not including shipping).  The sooner the deposits get paid, the sooner the parts will get ordered.  Assuming there's no major back-order, the bulk of the parts should take a week or less for arrival, and the first controllers should start to be getting finished within 1-1/2 to 2 weeks after parts ordering.  While I'm waiting on parts there is plenty of work to do modifying the donor controllers, printing/laminating of the CPO and keypad overlay artwork, and the assigning and printing of the manuals and serial number labels.  

Just an update.  3 more donor controllers arrived between yesterday and today, making 10 currently in hand, with 3 more en route.  Two of the other 3 have cleared customs, 1 in New York, 1 in California, and the 3rd has no tracking.  But the 3rd was ordered in a lot of 2 controllers, and the one I got yesterday was the other one in that order...so hopefully this last ordered thus far controller is not too far behind.  As of now my list is currently at (18) definite interested pre-orders.  So assuming all those previously interested are still interested once I send out the PMs for the deposits, I'll need to get at least another 5.  Plenty are still available on ebay, so nobody worry.  

Edited by doubledown

I've sent out PMs to all those who expressed definitive interest in purchasing 1 or more controllers, requesting the initial 25% deposit.  

If you did not receive a PM and you were interested in a controller, please respond to this thread or send me a PM.

The controllers should start to get finished around the weekend of October 4th, and the balance/shipping payments will be requested as they are ready to go.  It will probably take 2 weeks or so to finish all of the pre-ordered controllers.  

As of now I've heard from/received deposits from most of the interested parties wishing to purchase a controller.  The few I've not yet heard back from include:

spacefirebird

offbase

KTRA

Wumpusroom

FujiSkunk

I'm looking to get the deposits from all those interested so that I can place 1 large order with each of my vendors for the necessary hardware and items.  I'm only mentioning these members by name, as some of them are newer members and/or lower posting members who may not be familiar with the Private Messaging system here at AA.  

So if you're on this list, please let me know one way or another if you were still interested or not, and we'll go from there.  I'm looking for all deposits to be paid by this Wednesday, September 25th by the late evening.  That way I can get a final tally on the quantities needed for all of the different components, and get the orders placed yet this week.  If no reply or deposit is received by this Wednesday, you will be removed from the list and left off this batch of controllers.  

**Update/Progress News** - I received 1 more donor in today, and found/ordered 2 more from ebay this weekend.  That puts 11 currently in my hands, and 4 more en route in shipping, to cover the currently 12 which have had their deposits accounted for thus far...with more available on ebay if necessary.

Edited by doubledown

Last bump / final notice for pre-order deposits.  Deposits will be accepted until 9:05 PM Eastern Time tonight for this batch run of controllers.  There are only a couple of remaining members who I've not yet heard from...so if no word has been received by tonight, you'll be removed from the list.  

All right friends, so here is first project update.  

Today in about 7 hours at the shop I got all of the mechanical/physical prep work done on the 11 donor controllers that I currently have on hand...which includes:

1) Tore apart all the controllers down to their individual parts

2) Cut away housing plastic to allow for the installation of the new joysticks and keypads

3) Soaked and cleaned all of the plastic housings

4) Sanded and cleaned all of the bottom steel plates

4) Machined the top steel plates which includes mounting holes for joysticks, slots for keypad cables, and extra button holes as needed

4) Sanded and cleaned all of the top steel plates

It doesn't seem like much to do, and when I was doing 1 at a time each only took about 30-45 minutes, but when you do 11 at a time, that time really adds up.  So there will be 4 more to prep when they arrive, and I now need to prime/paint the top and bottom steel plates, and make the mounting brackets for the I/O boards.  I'll also probably print the CPOs, keypad overlays and any other artwork tomorrow.  More updates to come as they happen, so stay tuned.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:02 AM, NIAD said:

It's a labor of love!

Definitely labor!

So an update for those involved:

Three more donors came in over the last 2 days, so that leaves me waiting on 1 more needed for the pre-ordered controllers.  There are 3 others I bought from ebay which I am currently waiting on. Then there was a 4th which was apparently was returned to the shipper (Japan) and my purchase price was refunded.  I don't understand this 4th one, which was returned.  I ordered 2 from the same seller, got 1, and 1 was sent back with no explanation on his end as to why.  But no biggie, assuming I get at least 1 of the remaining 3 I'm waiting for, everybody who placed an order will get their controller.

Well enough about that...checking in on my parts orders, it looks like items will start showing up tomorrow and continue through into late next week.  So fingers crossed, the first controllers will start to get finished starting next weekend, approximately Oct. 13th-ish and thereafter.  More updates to come, so stay tuned.

The first of the parts orders came in today, but unfortunately nothing visually stimulating, or I would have uploaded a pic.  Just mechanical stuff, fasteners and the likes, and some experimental parts/pieces for my next Experience Controller that I'm working on.  I am excited to see what a pile of approximately $700 worth of joysticks and push buttons looks like though...that pic I will share when they're here.  

The only other things of note, I'm still working on printing/laminating CPOs, artwork, and manuals as I have time, and re-painting the donors' steel plates.  And lastly when I checked the tracking info on the remaining 3 donors I'm waiting for this morning, it looks like 2 are in Chicago at customs, and the 3rd is still inbound from Japan.  More to come.

Update Monday...All of the Joysticks and Push Buttons came in today:

BinQd1.jpg

Back row, from left to right:

Super Action Red (3)

Super Action Orange (2)

Coleco Black (4)

Phoenix (2)

Front row, from left to right:

Donkey Kong (2)

#2495 Display (1)

"Secret A" (1) (still waiting on joystick)

"Secret B" (1)

"Secret C" (1)

"Secret D" (1)

"Secret E" (1)

"Secret F" (1)

Additionally the remaining donor controllers came in today too, so I can get the machining of those finished up tomorrow or the next day.  The only items I'm waiting on are the Edladdin I/O PCBs w/ Keypads, and I spoke with Ed last week about those, and I'm expecting them late this week, or early next week.  Lots to do!

• Like 2